What's been running on your rails today ....

There used to be a very similar 'topic' previously so moderators, if found, please blend in.

I've been having a more modern image moment over the last week, firstly pulling down my super detailed Virgin HST set (8+2) on one track, then also my Virgin Pendolino set (now 9+2).

After a lot of very successful running the HST set is back in storage, the 'more modern' Pendolino set remains, whilst on the other loop I have a 5-coach early LMS train being hauled by various smaller LMS / former LMS motive power - Bachmann Jinty, 3F and 4F have put in some good working hours, combined with ... a 'modified Precedent #790 Hardwicke', which is an absolutely stunning locomotive.

Hardwicke is coreless motor powered and has a huge range of performance - realistic slow-running is possible for station departures and arrivals right up to way-beyond 'Races to the North' typical speeds she was originally famous for.

40% throttle with 5 coaches is a fair balance - fantastic little locomotive - expensive but highly recommended!

Al.

• Like 1

With a week off, I've been enjoying a little more time in the garage.

Today's been busy with those ex-LMS 3F and 4F tender locomotives, and today I added the ex-LNER J39 0-6-0 tender locomotive, an impressive 5F rating for that. An old model, but obviously a very good one - running very well.

I also lifted out my Stanier Mogul, with which I had problems fitting the front steps and running it.  I trimmed them down, perhaps a little too much, but she's running OK around the curves with the steps in place, previously they were catching the front bogie wheels, even on 4th radius.

Al.

Hornby Schools Class 30901 Winchester fitted with HM7000 decoder and speaker. A few short runs identified that I had wired one of my Cobalt point motors on a cross-over the wrong way - quickly rectified. The loco is close-coupled to the tender and manages to negotiate the curves without derailment.

After a brief 'repair' / relocation of the cab doors, a Bachmann parallel boilered Patriot in LMS livery, 5530 Sir Frank Ree has been on my layout today.

The J39 returned to her box after some superb performances - quiet, smooth, powerful, so a good representation of what would have been the original article.

Good fun.

Al.

The Pendolino train is still on the outer loop, so I changed the inner loop main train to a rake of 16x Dapol 'Turbot' bogie wagons.

That new-to-me Hornby K1 hauls them with ease, as do any of my 08 shunters. Similarly a Bachmann Jinty has no problems either - they are very free-running, but quite heavy with the extra lead strip under the imitation loads they're carrying.

All wagons are 'close-coupled' using the alternative couplings Dapol supplied, so basically all 6 move as one - no knock-on effect for easier starting - which makes that Jinty's performance even more impressive.

I like a slower train just cruising gently as well, not just something blatting around ... 'Like a Bat Outta .... !!' (visitors love the Pendolino, hence why it's still there).  

Al.

• Like 2

A Hornby SD 08 on Dapol Turbot duties today, Gaugemaster D set at 30%, and has been crawling around the tracks for the last couple of hours!!

Slight typo on the above, its not '6', it's 16 Turbots - a really long, quite heavy train.  It probably takes over 5 minutes to complete one 'loop' - Pendolino on 2/3 power completes this in 7-8 seconds - to get things into perspective!!

Al.

Back to work tomorrow, so one last day of a little fun on the railways.

Pendolino stretched her legs for a short while, then for contrast, some TEA oil tankers were out - just 6x bogie, 1x 4-wheeled, which do have a reasonable drag, but that K1 could haul without major issue, then the 08's took turns, then one of my Bachmann class 25's (I have 4x 'rats') had a little run around.

Al.

Having just hard wired a DCC decoder to its slightly modified B12 Chassis, I have been running my 3D printed LNWR Prince of Wales Class (will probably be 2275 if I can find someone to custom etch the nameplates.

I ran well but I had wired the motor the wrong way round and the Chip will not reverse! Otherwise I am rather pleased with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 81F said:

Having just hard wired a DCC decoder to its slightly modified B12 Chassis, I have been running my 3D printed LNWR Prince of Wales Class (will probably be 2275 if I can find someone to custom etch the nameplates.

I ran well but I had wired the motor the wrong way round and the Chip will not reverse! Otherwise I am rather pleased with it.

I'd posted this previously.

I had a set of 'Pegasus' etched nameplates made by these guys - seem to prepare them in 'batches' so be prepared to wait a little while:

image.png.4edd0f859574db05ebfe1cf5721ae984.png

Al.

19 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Out of curiosity, what is the Hornby standard?  When facing forward, is the right rail + (in DC of course)?  Or is the right rail -?

Viewed from the cab, the standard is with right rail positive the loco will move forward.

• Thanks 1

On 29/08/2024 at 22:35, atom3624 said:

I'd posted this previously.

I had a set of 'Pegasus' etched nameplates made by these guys - seem to prepare them in 'batches' so be prepared to wait a little while:

image.png.4edd0f859574db05ebfe1cf5721ae984.png

Al.

Thanks for the Link. However, although I was able to get the LNWR number plates 2275 and many others etched by them they do not have an LNWR name plate option and told me that they did not do a design service for them, so still on the lookout. I hope to try 247 developments if I can get hold of them as they do several LNWR plates but not Edith Cavell.

The running-in of the Bachmann 94xx is definitely completed, and she's been hauling my rake of 16x Dapol bogie 'Turbot' wagons - each with a little strip of lead, then a moulded load on top - with quite consummate ease!!  I've been running her at an equivalent of perhaps 35-55 mph on a setting of 35% on my Gaugemaster D (DC operation only).  Power consumption is similarly very low, between 60-90 mA.

The Bachmann K3 has also been run-in, and also hauls that same rake without issue (I did get some extra weight into the insides of the boiler, plus weighted up the tender).  Setting for the K3, having a 'can' 3-pole motor is more typical, at ~50%, but she's pulling very little current as well, between 70-90 mA, settling on 70-80 at constant speed, so must be 'new' and a very good motor.

Very impressed by both new additions.  There are very slight 'pinch points' with both, but that's only observed at very low speeds.  I'm hoping this will decrease further with more running - great excuse anyway!!

Al.

K3 has been hauling the 16x Dapol bogie Turbot wagons (I have the EWS ones).

Youngest likes the new-to-us Bachmann 94xx, but prefers the 57xx, so that came out, and hauled with Turbots ... with ease and silently - another fantastic model!!

It's now time to have something which should be seen hauling EWS wagons, an EWS locomotive ... a Hornby 08 - a fair bit slower, but smooth and relatively quiet.  All of my 08's (2x H, 2x B) have aftermarket cab and directional lighting (Stickswipe on Ebay), which looks great.

Al.