Getting the new chip to work on z21

GR77

I simply have no idea how to do this if it's in instructions I can't find them. I run my layout on ipad Gen 6 with no problems but the tablet always connects to the z21s TP link. So how do you do it. My layout is in log cabin in garden I can pick up the house WiFi but as I said the z21 overrides that. I am finding these very complicated and am thinking just pay double for a youchoos chip which I've always used just plug in and that's it complete with your loco sound profile. Incidentally no profile for the 4MT which is what I wanted  

The decoders work on straight DCC same as any other decoder out of the box. Once you have used the Hornby app on BT you have to flip them back to DCC in the app to use direct from Z21.

It sounds to me like you are trying to control the HM7K decoders wirelessly using the Z21 and associated app, not the Hornby app.

The decoders will not talk BT to any other device except the Hornby app.

So if I change everything from BT to dcc it will automatically work from the z21, i tried that and nothing have given up for today will try again tomorrow. Thanks I may need extra help if you don't mind 

Roy 

The app has just been updated to sort the lifting from track thing.

To make the decoder work on DCC you have to give it a DCC address and refresh the CVs in the app editor and then flip control to DCC. It will then work with your Z21.

4 hours ago, GR77 said:

I forgot to say,I did not get any notification about lifting loco from track and putting back on the track things just aren't going to plan 

Yo don't need to lift the loco from the track. Just switch off whatever is powering the track and switch it back on again. Much simpler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir john said:

@ColinB that's exactly what I do much easier 

On the Elite it is even easier, just press the "STOP" button which disables the DCC signal. The reason you do it is so the decoder resets itself and starts up from scratch.

My problem is sometimes I get a bit of movement and sound then nothing. The update wheel staets spinning then I can't do a thing as it never stops. I assume it's because the z21 link overrides the house wifi which does not work as layout in log cabin in garden. I try standing outside by door about 1 metre from chip but never updates. Even when it does show signs of life I flip to dcc but z21 does not respond. Should have just bought a youchoos as the hotnby does not have standard 4mt sound anyway. 

@GR77 why not setup a simple piece of track to place loco on (with a DC power supply) in your house & do all the updates, profile installation etc.

Once you’ve got the decoder software stuff sorted, then flip it into DCC mode & try running it on your layout using z21.

I am not an expert on DCC, but I have used  z21 in the past. If anyone thinks I am wrong please correct me,

First time you plug in TXS decoder into Loco, it needed to be updated, download firmware update and related sound profile using WI-FI of the phone or tablet and then transfer this info to TXS decoder using phone or tablet bluetooth via Hornby HM App (which can be very slow compare to WIFI). As your z21 don't have active broadband to communicate with Hornby to download specific firmware or sound profile also Hornby won't allow other app to do that as well.

Maybe you can use @LTSR_NSE advice and have a long straight set up next to your WI-FI router, power the track with z21 but keep the z21 app closed, now using Hornby HM App update the TXS decoder. Once that is completed (that could take up to 20 minutes), give loco a unique address which you can remember (I usually use the Loco running number as address so z21 or any other DCC controller can read that address and control the loco and function) now using the decoder manual change CV 29 value so it is usable with DCC controller (I can't remember what) your loco is ready to be used with any DCC controller.

I hope this helps you to resolve all the issue you having.

Problem is as ive said the WiFi router in house upstairs z21 in garden already thought of that one thanks anyhow. If anyone wants 2 of these 8pin and unopened 21 pin let me know.

16 hours ago, GR77 said:

Problem is as ive said the WiFi router in house upstairs z21 in garden already thought of that one thanks anyhow. If anyone wants 2 of these 8pin and unopened 21 pin let me know.

There will be nothing wrong with the decoders, it is your kit set up that is awry. Follow the advice folk have given.

Turn the Z21 off, or at least its wireless comms off, whilst using the Hornby app. If your router can't reach the shed then try a powerline adapter/Wifi extender. The problem is the Z21 is trying to take control from the Hornby app. I repeat that these decoders will not work under wireless control from anything other than the Hornby app but they will work under DCC control - once set up and that includes your Z21 app as that uses the Z21 the same as the Hornby app uses a dongle to pass commands.

You only need the Hornby app to set up a new profile, then the Z21 can control them as regular DCC decoders.

1 hour ago, Deem said:using the decoder manual change CV 29 value so it is usable with DCC controller (I can't remember what) your loco is ready to be used with any DCC controller.

CV29 does not change between App and DCC control, it is done by CV12.

• Thanks 1

I think I know what you are doing wrong. Make sure your z21 is not addressing DCC address 3. A HM7000 out of the box defaults to DCC and address 3. So basically powerup your z21 and make sure you don't have any reference to address 3. The HM7000 should then do nothing. Go to your smart device and run the Hornby App, if your WiFi is not working I doubt the app will work. Hopefully if the App starts up it should find your HM7000 and then you can go from there. I have never used a z21 but I know the DigiKeijs remembers settings between sessions so if you if you have an address of 3 and a speed, soon as you put any train on the track the loco with that address will move.

Colin is of course giving you the same advice as previous posts using slightly different words plus the default address warning.  First set up the decoder using the App somewhere with your phone or tablet connected to Wifi, then switch to DCC and run with the z21.

As far as operating any HM7000 decoder, there is nothing special about you z21, it is just a DCC controller the same as any other.  Reading the (comprehensive) manual would also be helpful.  See the link to it in the named documentation sticky post above.

• Like 1