In Stock items discount this weekend (Fri 13th Sept)

GMD

3 hours ago, Andrew-372848 said:

Succumbed, Duchess of Montrose on its way. 😀

The same here. I couldn't resist - Montrose digital.
I also ordered a required point at the same time.

The code can also be found on the main page.

image.thumb.png.79926529ba67a970e05560cb7d6792bc.png

Edited by Ilmson

I expect it will keep happening while they need to reduce stock levels. Mk 2 coaches and mineral wagon ordered. 🤫

My argument is that there is no point in accruing points unless you use them. 🤔

Edited by dBerriff

26 minutes ago, dBerriff said:

I expect it will keep happening while they need to reduce stock levels. Mk 2 coaches and mineral wagon ordered. 🤫

My argument is that there is no point in accruing points unless you use them. 🤔

Hornby could start offering some bundles if they want to destock. Various locos/HSTs and coaches would be a start. The HST bundle recently offered had far too many coaches included. I'll have to review my siding arrangements as trains look better with 4 coaches than 3, but other than for my 5 car HST, sidings are currently too short to accommodate more than 3 coaches at a time. Wish Hornby had some traditional wagons in stock.

Edited by My name is Bond

You are witnessing what is known as ‘The Mike Ashley Effect’ 

Keeping stock moving is critical to any business; stock on the shelves costs money. Expect more direct offers and special deals going forwards, not ‘DFS style’ with 364day a year ‘Sales’ but certainly targeting marketing campaigns. I wonder when the massive Hornby mug will appear? 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

You are witnessing what is known as ‘The Mike Ashley Effect’ 

Keeping stock moving is critical to any business; stock on the shelves costs money. Expect more direct offers and special deals going forwards, not ‘DFS style’ with 364day a year ‘Sales’ but certainly targeting marketing campaigns. I wonder when the massive Hornby mug will appear? 

This is sound if you're selling t-shirts or trainers. Buy a bulk load and when they've gone move onto the next batch. While no business needs stock just sitting on the shelf due to it being tied up capital, this hobby does need a certain amount of stock to be available to compliment other items (ie locos AND wagons / coaches) or for new people to buy. If you're already into the hobby and have a layout pretty well set up then a run of say 500 or 1000 of an item either loco or rolling stock is fine but this changes when it's someone new who is just starting out.

I remember looking at OO last year. There were loco's I wanted and did put them in the basket to buy but when I moved to the coaches / wagons section there was nothing I wanted or needed. No LMS maroon coaches, No BR Mk2 or Mk3 coaches era 7 or 8, wagons were out of stock or didn't exist. I ended up not buying anything and moved on. Again in January this year it was only because TT had stuff coming out soon that I decided to try it out with a starter set.

It's ok selling an HST train set but if there's no Mk3 coaches available to add to it (out of stock or discontinued) it's either going to be put on eBay, put away and forgot about or not bought by the customer. You won't sell locos if they have nothing to pull and you won't sell coaches or wagons if there's nothing to pull them. 

2 hours ago, My name is Bond said:

Hornby could start offering some bundles if they want to destock. Various locos/HSTs and coaches would be a start. The HST bundle recently offered had far too many coaches included. I'll have to review my siding arrangements as trains look better with 4 coaches than 3, but other than for my 5 car HST, sidings are currently too short to accommodate more than 3 coaches at a time. Wish Hornby had some traditional wagons in stock.

There is also a bundle with 5 coaches, the GWR HST Bundle.
The bundles came too late for me, otherwise the HST Executive bundle might have been worth it.
It would still be one carriage too many, but it would have been cheaper, apart from the extra tracks, which I would have passed on to my youngest niece.

As this is not my first layout, I fortunately thought of a convincing city station with a platform length of 1.60 m.