Did Hornby Inspire Bond (007)?

Rallymatt

I caught some of Golden Eye today, and there is a scene with a class 20 disguised as a Russian loco on a ‘Command Train’ and out of a carriage appears a helicopter…. Those of of us at a certain age will remember the HornbyTriang ‘action sets’ 

I just wonder how much of that storyline sequence in the film was inspired by someone else remembering the exploding truck, rocket launcher and helicopter from childhood? 
I’d like to think model railways contribute more than we might imagine 😁

7 hours ago, Aussie Fred said:

I am not sure he would have had jet fuel at the pump, but is was a good movie.

Jet fuel is simply posh diesel with hi-tech lube to stop the pumps wearing out. It would do a trip on Derv.

Class 50 Sir Edward Elgar is numbered 50 007. I also have a model of Pinza - 55 007 / D9 007. I'm no fan of the James Bond franchise but it does make the loco numbers easy to remember. 😄

Edited by dBerriff
  • Haha 1

On 21/09/2024 at 18:51, Rallymatt said:

I caught some of Golden Eye today, and there is a scene with a class 20 disguised as a Russian loco on a ‘Command Train’ and out of a carriage appears a helicopter…. Those of of us at a certain age will remember the HornbyTriang ‘action sets’ 

I just wonder how much of that storyline sequence in the film was inspired by someone else remembering the exploding truck, rocket launcher and helicopter from childhood? 
I’d like to think model railways contribute more than we might imagine 😁

I had that helicopter when I was a wee lad. It was mounted on a flat car. You wound the mounting up (until it clicked?) and then fitted the chopper on top. There was a lever fitted to the track elsewhere on your layout. When the flatcar passed it, the spring in the mount was released by the lever which span the helicopter blades and it would take off. Hours of fun. I remember that fondly even though it was 60 years ago.

• Like 1