P9300W fault

Hoping it’s a simple fix from the forum’s experts. 
HMDCC powered by the above 4 amp brick through bus and wired fishplates. There are half a dozen LEDs illuminating the buffers on the bus too. I’m using the HM7000 app. 
Suddenly the layout track went dead apart from a weakish pulse every second. The buffer lights are the giveaway. 

Any clues as to what has happened would be gratefully received. 

To try to understand the circumstances:

What was the loading at the time in terms of locomotives? The LEDs will/should draw very little current.

The pulsing suggests a system trying to reset itself, finding a short / current overload, and shutting down again. This sequence repeats every second.

This is where a multimeter would come in useful to measure the track resistance.

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 1

What I would do is:

a: I assume you have done this but for completeness: check that nothing has fallen on the track to bridge the rails. 

b: disconnect components one at a time to try to find out what is causing the problem. I would start with the 6010s as the active components. The LEDs should be trouble free but check the wiring. The soldered connections can be unprotected (I have blown a transistor when LEDs accidentally touched during a demo).

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 2

Much appreciated @dBerriff

Did as you suggested using a £10 track tester, one of those little led ones that light up according to current. Narrowed it down to one of the red dropper wires becoming loose and shorting to its black counterpart. Big sighs of relief all round and I think a graphic demonstration of Occam’s Razor.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dBerriff said:

Good, in that it is nothing expensive that has changed or failed. Those little track testers are really useful and easier to use than a multimeter.

Definitely useful, I have an ancient Minitrix track tester (bulb rather than LED).    It's still useful to have and use a multimeter though.  The track tester is great for simple presence / absence of track power but doesn't indicate high resistance (eg. a bad track joint) which only manifests itself under a load such as a running loco. 

• Like 1

Looking at my files I see this. You were fortunate nothing went sparky:

P9300W 4A PSU - Broadly works on a constant power basis… i.e. as the load increases above the rated power level, the voltage drops thus maintaining constant power while increasing amps. Protection starts at 4.5A (14.5V) and shuts down at 8A (7.5v) to pulse mode. Power Rated = 60W   Power Max = 80W

• Like 1

Apologies Skelton but why do so many people starting topics include a proxy for what their problems are rather than detailing them specifically.

In this instance, the specific title is “P9300W 4 Amp PSU Resetting Repeatedly” 

And I add the “4 Amp PSU” so people don’t have to guess/remember what a P9300 is.

Good titles help in 2 ways:

• people who know how to fix a problem are more likely to open a thread when it’s clear what the problem is
  • its easier to search for when someone else has the same problem later

With that, soap box dismount performed, normal transmission resumed.

• Like 2

I assume that if anyone asks for help then they don't know the answer, so I am happy to ask a few questions to try to elicit a better description of what has happened and what is still happening. By the time you have the experience and knowledge to frame the perfect heading, you probably have the experience, knowledge and skills to complete your own fault finding. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skelton Junction said:

Agree with requirement for clarity but I did not know that the psu was resetting, just that it was on the blink 😊 

Not on the blink at all, in fact performing as designed to cope with an external fault condition.

Yes, as the archive files you mentioned described. Apologies, my “on the blink” comment referred to the aforementioned flashing lights on the buffers as much as the old school terminology for something not working. The psu was working perfectly which is more than be said for my wiring faux pas. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

easier to search for when someone else has the same problem later

large.P9300Wsearch.jpg.a0e85d01955d3983e28b9e2294316d53.jpg

No problem finding the post Fishy.  I do understand the urge to categorize posts and sort them into the appropriate bins.  It does make for an orderly appearance.  I'm just not sure it is useful as a search function, when other far more powerful tools are available.

@Skelton JunctionGot the pun before the explanation!  😁  Well played!

Bee

• Like 1