Large jumps in speed on one step speed changes

Tomasz

I noticed this on several of my locos, there are positions on the speed slider where going one step up or down causes too large of difference in speed whereas the steps before and after the change is much smaller. Most noticeable to me is going between step 44 and 45, the loco speed change is quite pronounced. I tried this with several profiles and both with and without speed table selected (CV29 value 16), but I can't figure out a way to smooth this out. I might have to pick up the Piko measuring car that has a build-in LCD that displays actual scale speed so I can prove it to myself that I'm not going crazy. Anyone else noticed this? 

Is the basic a straight line?

I would have imagined not & therefore the observed behaviour even more likely under the basic. 🤷‍♂️

Also if Basic selected surely Voltage min, med, high will need to be equidistant otherwise behaviour will be observed.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

The basic was with default settings of 0,72,255. I changed it to 0,127,255, which would be a straight line and initially I thought the problem was fixed, however all that did was move the point at which the speed jump happens from step 45 to step 25. So the jump happens at the same actual speed regardless of the speed map (45 * 72 / 127 = 25.5). Either basic or advanced map does not explain why the speed increase in that one step is at least 2-3 times larger than the steps before and after. 

The basic speed curve should start at 2 or more usually 3 not 0. That is the motor start up value. 
Asides that, it appears the issue is the motor response at a particular voltage. It could be worth doing an auto calibration to see if that smooths it out. 
If you want to go full on 🤓 there are other tools in the system to ultra refine motor performance. The Famous Manual will guide you in all these things. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Extra info

Hmm, I did the auto calibration at the very beginning and I didn't notice this issue until after. I can't say if it was there before or not. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to go back to non-calibrated values once the calibration has been run. I'll keep playing with it. 

Thanks @Rallymatt, I forgot about CV8 reset ability. 

Not sure if they are the same motor, the issue is most prominent in some of my diesel locos, they are mostly Piko models. Some are earlier with an 8 pin connection, some are later with a plux22 connection, but the motor might be the same part. 

No, I got it, I usually do the calibration as first thing before I modify anything else. I'll keep messing with settings trying to figure this out, but mostly I was just curious if this was a me thing or if others saw similar behavior. Looks like it's a me thing. 😄

• Like 1