Sapphire Decoder Vs Standard? best for tender drive

AUSLNER

The son of Triangman said:

More importantly the Sapphire can take a higher stall current making it suitable for older locos such as Tri-ang locos and 1970's Hornby locos with the old Tri-ang motors.
I know that it is normal to talk

about stall current but is it more reasonably "slip" current that should be considered.

"stall" implies the loco is stopped and jammed so hard down on the track that the wheels can't turn. "slip" is where it runs up against an obstacle and cannot move

while the wheels spin on the track.

Has anyone actually had a stall? I would be interested to understand the situation.

I do wonder whether "slip" current would actually be less than normal running current. when the loco hit the obstacle the

current would increase as the wheels still had a grip on the track. once the grip was lost and the wheels were "skidding" the current should decrease I think.

Any physicists out there to correct me?

I am an Engineer not a Physicists but did study physics many, many years ago! Keeping it simple and ignoring air resistance, etc the maximum force that can be transmitted through the wheels is a direct function of the coefficient of friction [and the weight

applied]. For a loco that is moving forwards the maximum force hasn't been reached until the wheels just start to "slip". As SoT said the maximum current will be when the wheels are actually prevented from turning. When the loco hits an obstacle the motor

will try and overcome the resistance and the current would increase up to the slipping point and then should remain constant, not decrease. I wait to be corrected!

A motor will reach it's maximum current comsumption when stalled as a rule, if testing for a stall the test must not last more than a second or two or the motor will burn out, a simple multimeter will record the stall current briefly or one of the very

very expensive meters like a Fluke which has a facility for freezing a reading for examination. Stall current of the motor is the most important factor for choosing a decoder, then comes the size of the decoders, and finally the whistles and bells you need.

I think I understand all of the above so the steps would be

1. motor running freely - current = x steady state

2. motor stalled - current = y (instantaneous/short) as wheels transition from free running to stall to slip

3. motor (well wheels)

slipping = z steady state

it would seem to me that y > z > x and y has a very short duration.

so..... if the 8249 has a peak current of 1A and a continuous max of 500mA then it seems that 8249 would be suitable for stall currents (y) of 1A providing

the slip current (z) was not more than 500mA.

Would this align with practical experience?

The rather spectacular exception to the rule would be if the stall continued for more than a short period of time. it would then seem that it would be a

race to see whether the decoder or the motor burned out first.

I've had the misfortune of watching stall current in action. The motor was an X04 and the wheel quartering was out causing it to bind. It bound then continued on a few times and finally came to a halt on a point but with current still going to the decoder

which was rated at 1Amp. I made the mistake of turning up the controller at that point and the result was 2 puffs of smoke from 2 diodes in the bridge rectifier in the decoder. So I can report stall current in this X04 was in excess of 1Amp.

It was very

clever to do all of that on a point, making me think it had lost contact or even shorted out. I was wrong. Many thanks to Richard at DCC Concepts who replaced the decoder under warranty, even though it was clearly my fault.

Certainly on a stall the transistors will keep working as poliss has said they have improved a lot. However peak current is generally reached at stalling point. This of course can show in a slip where a loco stalls for a brief part of a second and then

slips. Current draw during a slip will be high but peak point will be at stalling point.

The bog standard Hornby decoder will be fine for fitting to most ringfield drive locos post 1974 if the motor and magnet are in good fettle as current draw is usually less than 500ma.

Motors like the X.03 and X.04 require something beefier, I use

a micro decoder with a 1.5amp peak stall current and continuous 1amp cuyrrent draw, it's made for Z and N gauge locos but is perfect for the job.

This Hornby R.066 Duchess of Sutherland made in 1977 with ringfield tender drive has the standard Hornby decoder fitted, stall peak current of the motor was 420ma on test.

I decided to cut current consumption down as the original bulb was using

60ma, an LED was fitted into the bulb socket of the loco, and a loco to tender plug fitted of the type Hornby currently use to run the function control from the decoder to the LED.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/duchess4.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/duchess2.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/duchess3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
poliss said:

Fuse not needed. You are testing what the power consumption is so you can choose a suitable decoder. Just don't stall the motor for more than a second.

Misunderstanding. No it was aimed at never risking an expensive

decoder (eg sound decoder) emitting "puffs of smoke" in a terminal fashion.

Archived