Sir Winston Churchill train pack

Kelvin9

To return to the "Winston Churchill Funeral Set." I would definitely buy one, anniversary or no! A wonderful set of vehicles collectively or individually. Come on Hornby!

As a matter of interest apropos some earlier comments, I was under the impression

that although the "air smoothing" on the "spam cans" was 'spin doctored' to the general public as streamlining, the more practical, and real reason behind his thinking was ease, speed and thus cost savings, in cleaning in the postwar period.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly Tri-ang released a memorial coach that year as a limited edition. The GWR clerestory was given a black banding and different number. I have a mint boxed example in the collection.

You are correct Captain Francisco the "spam cans" were

"air-smoothed" primarily to go through carriage washing plants on the Southern to cut down on cleaning labour.

The weakness of the spam cans in un-rebuilt form was the chain drive to the middle cylinder arrangement. There were many instances of spam cans catching on fire and local fire brigades having to come out, remove the casing and putting the fires out. The

lagging of the boilers used to get sprayed with oil from the oil bath of the chain drives, seals on the oil baths were renown for leaking. On paper the space and money saving chain drive system was good but ini the real work was greatly lacking. That said

the "spam cans" were great machines with a superb boiler.

It was said that OVSB wanted to reduce maintenance and preparation time needed to oil round three independent sets of valve gear and by enclosing the middle engine in an oil bath, in theory at least, lubrication and maintenance period would be significantly

extended, and be carried out by fitters and not by drivers.

He also wanted to use rotary valve gear, for very much the same reason, but the War prevented him obtaining the necessary parts. Chains were much easier to source so he designed a valve gear

to do what he needed using chains and as he already had the oil bath, it was the logical place to put it. After all exactly the same principle was used in internal combustion engines, very successfully, he just scaled it up.

As it turned out the conditions

under a steam engine were far more severe than under the bonnet of an HGV, and it suffered greater stresses and vibration, which allowed oil to leak out of the bath, and the proximity of the ash pan provided a ready ignition source. The boiler cladding as

SoT points out, being soaked in oil acted as a splendid wick.

Jarvis' rebuilds from 1956 onwards got rid of both these weaknesses and created what are arguably the finest modern steam passenger locomotives of all time in the UK.

The Winston Churchill commemorative set in 2015 is a rather good idea, but let us not also forget that it will also be the 75th anniversary of 'Their Finest Hour' an event that is not unconnected.

Once the hoo-ha of Mallard 75 is out of the way,

this may well be the next important anniversary.

walkingthedog said:

When you say next important anniversary I take it you are referring to railways. If not I think next year overshadows everything else.

I am guessing you refer to the outbreak of the Great War, 100 years

ago, which I agree is a very important date but with only oblique railway importance. I do however acknowledge the extreme effect and contribution that railways had on the War, but its outbreak was more to do with a political spat in the Balkans than a railway

event.

My intention was to link the passing of Winston with the speech made by him in praise of the RAF who gallantly fought against overwhelming forces to defend our little island.

Of course there is tale that Sir Winston knowing full well he was to get the "Full State" send off when he died insisted [with no doubt a wicked twinkle in his eye] that his train leave London for Handborough [for Bleinham Palace] from Waterloo rather

than the operationally more convienant Paddington. If that is he passed away before President former General De Gaulle of France, thus rubbing the French leader up the wrong way by having to stand to attention whilst, waving "Winny" off from Waterloo.....

Mind you "Winny" said if De Gaulle was to pass first "they" could send the funneral train from where ever!

What ever you think/thought of the man he had a "wicked" sense of Humour to the end.......

I said to a few Forum members, who I have great respect for that I would keep ( or at least try ) to keep off this thread.

Hornby are not going to make any form of set to commemorate this person.

Any body who can put his name to :

1. Seagulls

being trained to POOH on periscopes in Poole harbour.

2. Fast launches that carry " Olympic swimmers", armed with a muslin bag and hammer, so they can be dropped off and swim to the periscope and break the optics in the periscope.

Oh dear.

As

for his plan for Battleships to shell workers houses in Liverpool, and Glasgow during the General Strike, well hang your heads in shame Hornby even if you think about releasing that engine again.

Time has moved on, and more and yet more truth is out.

I

only hope that my Grandfather, was no longer on HMS Queen Elizabeth at the time of the strike, she was supposed to aiming on Glasgow.

• 4 weeks later...

Kelvin9 said:

"went to have a look they will not post to new zealand, why do so many people in the uk hate new zealand"

I don't think it's hate of NZ, it's just down to bad experiences of shipping to Aus and NZ, myself and the rest of the

family in the business sell the odd item on the site mentioned and have been ripped off by overseas buyers from Aus and NZ, so won't sell to those countries now.

If you want a Winston Churchill and can put up with a more cruder model detail wise, Tri-ang

and Tri-ang-Hornby made them and they appear on that site.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
bulleidboy said:

I'm not sure whether there would be enough interest to make this commercially viable. With a bit of searching around you can almost make up the original train. The loco often appears on that well known auction site, the luggage

van was produced by Hornby fairly recently, and will still be available. I recall from a previous thread that only one coach has not been produced - all the others have appeared in one set or another. If you 'google' the original event, there is a lot of information

available.

Archived