Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

@atom3624 Hi Al looking forward to getting it on the layout, been a fan of the manor loco since my first ride behind lydham manor back in 1990 used to collect mainline and bachmann manors but these latest ones are a world apart, I have 6 dapol manors and they run superbly hope this one is as good

John

A couple of eBay purchases of 3D printed bodies, and no need for Elloloco to think I’m after his recent Electrotren purchase as these are quite different! 

Firstly a couple of 4mm diesel shunters. Both bought at a reduced rate off eBay as not quite perfect prints. I wanted the early 05 one as on my first job I saw that there were a couple of these stored at Kearsley Power Station near Bolton along with one of the electric locos they’d used there and a fireless loco. I believe from BR they went to Chadderton Power Station near Oldham and then to storage at Kearsley. They were a very faded orange when I saw them. Unfortunately they were the later version with bigger wheels and more windows but as I’m not modelling Chadderton it’s not a problem. Fairly easy to get a Bachmann 03 chassis I had to fit, although some filing of the weights was necessary. 

The smaller one wasn’t on my list but at the cheap price I couldn’t resist. The cow-catchers haven’t printed but I’d have to remove them anyway to fit tension lock couplings. The power unit I had was too wide so it’s getting a ‘spud’ out of my spares box. It’ll end up as an NCB industrial loco. 

Both these prints are highly detailed but probably too thin. The skirts on the smaller loco have warped, I’m going to superglue some brass on the inside both to help with straightening them and to give it some weight. Overall I’m very happy with these prints. 

Finally a 009 loco which is a representation of one of the 3’ Camber and Rye locos but with a skirt so that it can fit a cheap and reliable Kato tram chassis. This print is something else, it is superb and comes with a fitted cab, driver, fireman and 009 couplings to fit to the Kato chassis. The parts clip together superbly and the chassis clips in easily. I’ve not primed this one yet but it’ll probably get some later. 

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Rana Temporia said:

A couple of eBay purchases of 3D printed bodies, and no need for Elloloco to think I’m after his recent Electrotren purchase as these are quite different! 

Firstly a couple of 4mm diesel shunters. Both bought at a reduced rate off eBay as not quite perfect prints. I wanted the early 05 one as on my first job I saw that there were a couple of these stored at Kearsley Power Station near Bolton along with one of the electric locos they’d used there and a fireless loco. I believe from BR they went to Chadderton Power Station near Oldham and then to storage at Kearsley. They were a very faded orange when I saw them. Unfortunately they were the later version with bigger wheels and more windows but as I’m not modelling Chadderton it’s not a problem. Fairly easy to get a Bachmann 03 chassis I had to fit, although some filing of the weights was necessary. 

The smaller one wasn’t on my list but at the cheap price I couldn’t resist. The cow-catchers haven’t printed but I’d have to remove them anyway to fit tension lock couplings. The power unit I had was too wide so it’s getting a ‘spud’ out of my spares box. It’ll end up as an NCB industrial loco. 

Both these prints are highly detailed but probably too thin. The skirts on the smaller loco have warped, I’m going to superglue some brass on the inside both to help with straightening them and to give it some weight. Overall I’m very happy with these prints. 

Finally a 009 loco which is a representation of one of the 3’ Camber and Rye locos but with a skirt so that it can fit a cheap and reliable Kato tram chassis. This print is something else, it is superb and comes with a fitted cab, driver, fireman and 009 couplings to fit to the Kato chassis. The parts clip together superbly and the chassis clips in easily. I’ve not primed this one yet but it’ll probably get some later. 

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

Very good, must be hard work and time-consuming as well with so much details to add to drawing. I bet once fitted and running, the satisfaction you will get will be immensely rewarding. Thanks for sharing as well.

I don’t expect any of these to be particularly time consuming apart from painting and lining if I decide to line them. All the detail on the diesels is printed on, they do seem a little thin and fragile but I have already dropped one with no damage. The 05 has a mis-printed step hence the low price but I should be able to copy the good one using plasticard/microstrip. 3D printing has really come on recently. The 009 loco could almost have been moulded. I bought some very expensive 3D 009 loco prints from France a long time ago. They were superb but this one was less than £20 with a discount offered because I was watching it on eBay and the quality of the print is fantastic (plus 2 people and couplings in the price). 

The bodies I got from Oak Hill Works earlier in the year were great, I would definitely order from them again, and some from Shapeways were certainly useable although I did opt for the cheaper plastic. 

I have said before, Hornby could jump on this, they have the chassis available and could do what lots of other people are doing and supply files or 3D printed bodies to fit their parts. 

Great to see what the future brings!

• Like 1