Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

It was a very very very very very very very  long train Sorry if Hornby can't compact links. It really only was a one coach train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ish

Unfortunately I do not know the date of the photo.  It is pre March 1959 though because that is when he retired.  I cannot see the tender crest on the photo as the picture is taken from just forward of the front of the train, looking backwards down the platform.  I think you may be correct about the fast Blackpool-London express because I have been told that he did work that route.

@Vespa.  Reading all this reminded me that I have posted a copy of the picture previously and obtained some very good information, including a lot from yourself.  Just search the forum for 46118 to see the thread I raised previously.  There is a link to the picture on page 3 of that thread.  You need to select the full link, not just click on the underlined portion.  It is only about 6 months ago but I am in a far more better position now, than I was then, having obtained R3085.

Hello RDS,Yes, I remember the photo now. I am looking at the clothing on the females and it looks around the  50's style.  The lamps appear to be in LMS red as they show as dk grey in the photo. The first carriage looks like an ex LMS corridor carriage as made by Hornby (when you can get them) The numbers on these would be M********M and by the grey tones the carriage is all maroon. The loco carries express headlamp codes and is possibly one of the London expresses. It is due to leave as the safety valves are lifting and boiler pressure is up. Looking at previous posts it must be 1953 or 1954 for the loco to be carrying the 5A shedplate. In 1957 the crests changed to the later crest. By that deduction the loco in the photo would be carrying the early crest. Again that is easy to change using Modelmaster blanking patches and new earlier crest. If you are not confident to change them yourself Grimey Times will do a full make over for around £30 +P&P

Anyone else any thoughts on the deductions made?

Hi all

I got the Somerset Belle digital train set. The loco looks good anda very well  detailed milk tank with NEM couplings. Need to set it up now. I just come back from N gauge which I was in love with but the detailing and fiddley brake pipes is just a bit too small for my eyes.

Any I would of got an e-link train set but I have no laptop so I got this instead.

I like all the literature you get with these trainsets.

Cronan aka Ian

Have you tried curved points before on your layout, WTD? I have a couple but they don't seem to be too brilliant at times, trains not always wanting to go in the inner direction from the toe end without sometimes derailing. I think it's probably something to do with forward propulsion, or something, a train having to suddenly switch from a large to smaller curve. Or is it something to do with swiftly changing centrifugal forces? The faster the train, the more you can have a problem, it seems.

My latest aquisition, a set of Hornby/Triang Cylinders. I now think I have all the bits to restore the third loco I ever bought - a new body, new tender & new piston rods. All I need to do now is find the chassis!

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned elsewhere yesterday I bought one of the Railroad Bagnall diesel shunters, a very good little model for the price. Not too sure if has a full sized prototype but it does look the part. (A successor to the Dock Shunter perhaps?)

I also treated myself to another SEC 'C' late crest version, which I am currently re-numbering. This has to be my all time favourite class of locomotive.

6 Humbrol Aerosols approximately £41 including p&p! These will hopefully allow me to weather some of my kit built wagons which have been packed in the loft for the past 20 years! Funny I remember being able to buy 8 of them for the same price as the paint is now!

• 2 weeks later...

Three blue S&D four wheeled coaches and one GWR version. I think the S&D ones had been stored in a damp place because the metal tyres had taken on a froste appearence and one of the couplings was rather rusty (Hence the GWR one to donate a new Chassis). However all the bodies were in a good condition and I have some spare silver seal wheels.

This now makes up the loco and coaches from the Rural Rambler set I remember wanting in 1976 - only a 38 year waIt!

I should also add the ebayer didn't really know what they were since he described them as being from a Caledonian set but they had metal couplings and silver seal wheel so I though this unlikely.