Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Hi Vespa - Well there are only thirty M/N Class, so I thought (sometime ago) why not. From previous posts, I assume you have the full set (fifty five) of Britannia loco's plus a number of duplicates? The current Hornby M/N's were only introduced in 2000, so are the Super Detail models. They are all still wrapped in tissue and in their boxes. Unless I buy a wall-mounted display case, there is a good chance they will never be run or even see the light of day.

Hi Vespa - Well there are only thirty M/N Class, so I thought (sometime ago) why not. From previous posts, I assume you have the full set (fifty five) of Britannia loco's plus a number of duplicates? The current Hornby M/N's were only introduced in 2000, so are the Super Detail models. They are all still wrapped in tissue and in their boxes. Unless I buy a wall-mounted display case, there is a good chance they will never be run or even see the light of day.

Hi BB

Buy a couple of the display cabinets, the next time you see them in Lidls. They are very good.

Schools class St.Pauls R2898xs my first one blew the decoder when the wires between the loco & tender broke & have been looking for a replacement for a while now so when it became available new on eBay I just had to get it.

I hope you managed to get the original one repaired? My latest aquisition - another Merchant Navy Class - I think I now have twenty three - only seven to go!

I don't believe my luck the schools class St.Paul's sound has failed on its second use it stalled the first time I used it & I thought that was dirty track but the sound would not respond to f1 or after resetting the decoder c8to 8 so have sent it back for refund today :-(

Hi BB

Buy a couple of the display cabinets, the next time you see them in Lidls. They are very good.

I will. They haven't been around for some time, so must be due. My only concern from reading comments by those who bought them, is the reinforcing of the house walls before attaching the units!

Schools class St.Pauls R2898xs my first one blew the decoder when the wires between the loco & tender broke & have been looking for a replacement for a while now so when it became available new on eBay I just had to get it.

I hope you managed to get the original one repaired? My latest aquisition - another Merchant Navy Class - I think I now have twenty three - only seven to go!

I don't believe my luck the schools class St.Paul's sound has failed on its second use it stalled the first time I used it & I thought that was dirty track but the sound would not respond to f1 or after resetting the decoder c8to 8 so have sent it back for refund today :-(

You inspire confidence tibrahim. I bought my St Pauls R2898xs when Hattons were selling them at half price, and that was some years ago. I've not even opened the box yet to see what's in it - hopefully a loco!

You inspire confidence tibrahim. I bought my St Pauls R2898xs when Hattons were selling them at half price, and that was some years ago. I've not even opened the box yet to see what's in it - hopefully a loco!

Yes that's where my original came from too £145 bargain lasted a year till the wires broke, got replacement wire set but no joy in replacing the 21 pin decoder. it's running again without sound on a saphire decoder but miss the sounds :-( hope you better luck.

Hi BB

I will. They haven't been around for some time, so must be due. My only concern from reading comments by those who bought them, is the reinforcing of the house walls before attaching the units!

No building work needed here.

I seem to recall someone (I think WTD) bought the horizontal one and there was a bit of 'sag' in the middle of the shelves. I bought the vertical ones and absolutely perfect ! (The cabinet, not me............maybe me as well!)

I am about to test my latest loco. It's a new Hornby R2738 Early BR crest 2-6-4T BR Fowler Tank 42315 which has been specially fitted with two decoders for sound, smoke, flickering firebox, directional lamps and crew, plus stay alive. The sounds include coupling pull, tender box lid and coach rattle. Unfortunately the fireman has fallen out already, so I don't know whether I'll get the flickering firebox and sound of coaling until I've stuck him back in. Will let you know.

Hi BB, I have not got all the Brits yet! I think it's a bit like trainspotting, you have to wait patiently to get the lot. I ran out of donor locos and decided that from now on I will only buy the latest detailed versions, although I will keep the older ones as part of the set. I have modified most in minor ways with new front bogies and the detailing packs to get front steps etc. I refrained from changing all the cylinders due to cost. The thing with Brits, is that there were so many obvious mods over the years in service, that not every one modelled will be accurate. Here is a link to the first of 3 pages about the Britannia class and you can see the differences, even with the same loco. http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page90.htm

Just arrived in the post this morning: Hornby's double-tender Bittern. Superb model and runs very smoothly indeed.

Needs sound, working lamps and smoke unit, real coal plus some detailing not forgetting the crew and a dust of weathering.

I's just that I have these things about A'4's that I remember from my childhood journeys from King's Cross to Newcastle and back.I used to stand in awe at their driving wheels that stood higher than I did.

And on one journey toward the end of the A'4s one of them (don't remember the name) turned up to haul our train when the Deltic broke down....

Just arrived in the post this morning: Hornby's double-tender Bittern. Superb model and runs very smoothly indeed.

Needs sound, working lamps and smoke unit, real coal plus some detailing not forgetting the crew and a dust of weathering.

I's just that I have these things about A'4's that I remember from my childhood journeys from King's Cross to Newcastle and back.I used to stand in awe at their driving wheels that stood higher than I did.

And on one journey toward the end of the A'4s one of them (don't remember the name) turned up to haul our train when the Deltic broke down....

Was that "the Deltic" - I used to live a few minutes from New Southgate, which was about ten minutes out of Kings Cross. The original Blue Deltic could be seen almost every day, along with many A4's, running probably to Newcastle, Sheffield, York and further. The era would have been about 1957-1960.

Was that "the Deltic" - I used to live a few minutes from New Southgate, which was about ten minutes out of Kings Cross. The original Blue Deltic could be seen almost every day, along with many A4's, running probably to Newcastle, Sheffield, York and further. The era would have been about 1957-1960.

Hi BB,

I would have remembered THE blue Deltic. I should have wrote A Deltic. Sorry

Rayarpino, there is a link to weathering powders being applied to a Hornby B1 and other things here that you may find of interest http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=humbrol+weathering+powders

Hi Vespa,

Thanks for that. I tend to prefer artists's materials, in this case ground crayons or very hard pastels or pencil graphite from the softest numbers. I grind this kind of stuff in an old electric coffee grinder. The longer you grind, the finer if comes out. It's always mildly sticky. For earth I save tea bags and just let them dry in the sun or behind a window. I find the dried tea gives an earthy texture. For ashes, such as in depots, I burn some coal.

Thanks again.

Hope this advice helps, if fitting coal to model loco tenders, it is advisable to use a peelable glue that doesn't eat into the plastic. The polystrene cement and glues used for kits, weld by eating into plastics, so something like a latex glue that won't harm the plastic is preferable. When it comes time to sell a model if you use a peelable glue you can simple remove the coal without any damage to the model thus returning it back to factory spec which collectors and general buyers prefer.

If weathering then use materials that aren't permanent if you may at some time in the future think you want to sell a model. Weathering on the whole devalues a model to the general market, don't know why as you see some superb work but it does. I personally think it's because most general buyers perfer models in factory spec., buyers will often turn their nose up at non-factory weathered locos on the stall and in the shop, they tend to be slow sellers.

Ordered some more items from Hornby with the BF discounts, a village hall, and a load of trees half price.

I have also purchased on fleabay a Dapol track cleaning wagon DCC ready so need to think about making it DCC fitted when it comes. I am pretty sure it is 8 pin, would the Hornby R8249 digital loco decoder work? I have never converted any train yet so thought this may be good to practice on. I only paid around £30 for it ;o)