Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I had noticed the con rods were upside down, so I'll need to sort that! WTDoggy, yes it turned out to be even hairier than it looked in the pic! Jacob/Gordon, I'll be repainting it in GWR green and adding new GWR transfers to it. The seller said it was a good runner but judging by the state of the commutator I'm doubtful. Also a pickup wire needs resoldering so unless it became detached during transit it wouldn't have been running at all! Oh well, it was only £9 and it will occupy me for a little while.

Whether or not it runs, it dosen't matter. It is still a bargain find for £9.00! If I were you paying £20.00 more would worry me as that is a lot for an old loco that needs work and you would spending even more getting it repaired snd repainted. £9.00 is enough to get repainted and running again and enough to get a profit out of it and resell it, if you wanted to.

GNR-Gordon-4

And I collected three SE&CR  'Birdcage carriages in BR crimson from the Monk Bar model shop this morning !

I just ordered the SE&CR livery versions as I just like the look of them and they will go with a couple of other SE&CR locos I have and on order.

I had noticed the con rods were upside down, so I'll need to sort that! WTDoggy, yes it turned out to be even hairier than it looked in the pic! Jacob/Gordon, I'll be repainting it in GWR green and adding new GWR transfers to it. The seller said it was a good runner but judging by the state of the commutator I'm doubtful. Also a pickup wire needs resoldering so unless it became detached during transit it wouldn't have been running at all! Oh well, it was only £9 and it will occupy me for a little while.

I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time restoring it. Well done. And it's not going to break the bank at Monte Carlo.  I just got a nice Triang Hymek Type 35 for only £12 plus p&p so feeling pretty pleased too.

I've bought 4 weathered coaches by Bachmann. I've not bought weathered before so will be interested to see how they look. Will also add some lights and passengers. 

Bachmann Branchline 39-079C BR Mk1 BSK Brake Second Corridor (WR) Chocolate & Cream - weathered

Bachmann Branchline 39-129C BR Mk1 CK Composite Corridor (WR) chocolate & cream - weathered

Bachmann Branchline 39-154C BR Mk1 FK First Corridor (WR) chocolate & cream - weathered

I've not bought weathered before

Haven't you? If you own R306 Breakdown Crane, R9203 Cattle Wagon, R9216 Large Breakdown Crane, R9233 Oil Tanker, R9237 Cream Utility Wagon, R9238 Light Grey Vent Van, R9260 Thomas & The Great Discovery Train Set, R9299 Tanker Triple Pack (Only the Oil Tanker), R9704 3x Assorted Tankers (Only the Oil Tanker) and R9705 3x Assorted Vans (Only the Cattle Wagon and the Rusty Vent Van) from Hornby's Thomas & Friends range, then you have weathered rolling stock, as all of these I have listed are weathered.

GNR-Gordon-4

I do believe though, however, that the original image that Jeff Mennell posted is, on a different page as to when I qouted the image, so Jeff and other's know which locomotive I am talking about. Is this not a fair point?  😮  😀  😎

Yes, I'm alright. You alright WTD? How's the trains and planes your end?!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

Several Wilko 4 drawer storage boxes. These are the ones with shallow drawers at around £18 each. They will store around five or six coaches per drawer and can be reassembled into taller units. A little bit expensive but it's just what I've been looking forfor years.

Jacob, I swapped the con rods around and replaced the bottom half of the body, (the old pannier tanks came in 2 parts and I had a spare bottom), replaced a coupling rod, full service and resoldered the loose wire. It runs really well(as the seller said it did!). I have donated the whole chassis/ motor to my old Jinty (my first choo choo), as this was an unreliable runner. The Jinty chassis/motor will be used for the Pannier Tank as I managed to solve it's minor problem. Will repaint it soon and use some spare GWR transfers I found in my 'box'. It's all working out very well!

Jimbo, I bought a very cheap Hymek from fleabay that I was looking forward to renovating but the seller had only wrapped it with black plastic as packaging! The postman duly posted it through the letterbox and........ one broken bodyshell. Sent it back and got a full refund. Disappointed though and still don't have a Hymek.

And I collected three SE&CR  'Birdcage carriages in BR crimson from the Monk Bar model shop this morning !

I just ordered the SE&CR livery versions as I just like the look of them and they will go with a couple of other SE&CR locos I have and on order.

Excellent!

I have just been advised that there are another 3 in their way from Liverpool.  I wanted 6 anyway, but I decided after a disappointment involving the Hornby Maunsell push pull set a few years ago  I decided to dual source them.  Now I am waiting in for these.

The SR and SECR livery sets are also in order and the SECR sets are dual sourced as well.

Once these and the H have been delivered my serious collecting days will be drawing to a close, unless someone decides to bring out a Maunsell D1,  E1 or an L  or L1 4-4-0s.

@Jeff Mennell

Was swapping the rods around a must? They looked alright to me. At least it rubs well, like the seller said it does. I hate it when sellers say it runs well, you buy it and dosen't. It's annoying.

That is annoying about your Hymek. Some idiot packing it in a bag. Maybe the postman stuffing it through the letterbox made it get damaged, but if it wasn't securly packaged, then it may have got further damaged when the posties had a game of football with it, in the warehouses!  😆

My Hornby Devious Diesel arrived today, the rare model with the white face (R317). I read your post about the Hymek, getting damaged through the postbox earlier, but I didn't get time to respond. As soon as the postman knoxked on the door and handed me the parcel, I looked at it and my heart sank, as it was wrapped up in a plastic bag, but one designed to be posted. I remebered reading your post on this forum of your Hymek in a bag and it got damaged. I carefully opened the bag, to find a Sealed Air envelope inside. I opened that, to find that Diesel had been wrapped up in two large pieces of bubble wrap, tapped together. That made me feel better seeing him undamaged. The reason the postman knocked on the door is becuase the seller sent it First Class Signed For, so I had to sign for it in order to recieve it, so it could have been stuffed through the letterbox, if it had not been sent First Class Signed For.

GNR-Gordon-4

As a precaution about things being 'stuffed' through the letter box I have made a 17x15 in. wooden box with a locking latch. Opens with a T-key. This sits outside my front door, sheltered mostly from rain, and has been really useful for packages and saved me trips also to the local sorting office. My postman has become quite used to it (and probably thankful 😆). Of course, no use for signed parcels.

@walkingthedog

I hate buying locos and rolling stock without a box. In this case, with the white faced Diesel, it has no damage and runs well. I bought it from another collector, who hardly used it and stored it in a cabinet. They bought it new. The white one rarely appears on eBay and others I found in the past have been bashed about and dosen't run. One in that condition is no good for my collection.

GNR-Gordon-4

I just got a big box of early Tri-ang chassis parts (no motors unfortunately) for very little money which will enable me to repair a plunger princess and the next version with the mk2 motor. There are also some other parts which may be Grafar or Hornby Dublo, mainly pony trucks but it will be a week or so before I have time to fully go through everything. That will keep me busy for a while! Almost as good as the box of 20+ Tri-ang power bogies I got once from a car boot sale. I have never seen anything like that before or since. 

Well just an update on my collection of ICI Methanol tankers from Hornby. I today managed to spot another number 310 for sale S/H so I now have 14 versions for a train or two 31,32,33,34,300,301,303,308,309,310,311,312,313 &315. A couple are my renumbering with very careful use of a paintbrush and the odd bit of transfer.