Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

3 Devon belle Pullman cars in excellent condition,makes up a six car train looks great just fits in the station.

1 Blue box N class looks good.

and my less than £60 Merchant Navy has arrived via both daughter houses and it spending Christmas and new year in Konia post office.

is it a good by, time will tell it has the following faults

front fastening broke ,over tightened, fixed with superglue

wonr move striped the engine down, let's say it won't need oiling for a long long time ,I could probably oil all my locos with the oil in the loco . So dryed it and cleaned all the thick sticky no very sticky grease out tested okay without the tender. The screws fixing the motor were tightened to hold the motor in place as it was lose. Not supprised with amount of oil around the motor and gear box.

.With the tender connected  nothing the connections seem to be shorting . The tender wheels have alsobeen over oiled so this was striped and cleaned but it's not free running ,this needs looking onto.

lastly the smoke deflectors are both off,well the left side is off and the right side is off a Britania loco it's definitely not a merchant navy deflector so new deflectors will be ordered from RT models .

It will be a good engine once the tender and smoke deflectors are fixed

So still some work to do ,,N to run in Clan Line to finish off and the lounge to decorate . Happy new year!

Derek 19b

Heljan "Falcon" has just arrived from Rails. Beautifully packed, as usual. The Heljan leaflet states that this loco will pull over 15 coaches on a level track.  So it is following the tradition of the original which, in 1962, from a standing start, pulled 18 coaches up the Lickey Bank, a gradient of 1 in 37. tractive efort required was70,300lbs in less than ideal conditions.  An etched metal name plate is included in the box but I am not sure what to do with it.

Now running t/media/tinymce_upload/803fdffb1ac5a7847688caac31f1973c.JPGhe "Falcon" in carefully.

My latest acquistion has been the Sommerset Belle digital train set. Bought because i was about to switch my tracks and trains over too DCC anyway, so this train set made sense at £130. I have too say i love the Jinty loco that came with it, very pleased with the purchase.

/media/tinymce_upload/f4ab20c2a3905a23178305584078b21f.jpgI recently received my grandads old trains, been in his attic since the late 70s.. the list includes

The flying scotsman (hornby)

Winston Churchill (hornby)

A red jinty(hornby

A small diesel shutter (hornby)

A class 25 diesel (hornby)

A tender driven evening star (hornby)

A devizes castle (wrenn)

A stoke on trent (wrenn) 

Also 9 coaches, 3 southern, 3 team and 3 short red ones. 

And a bunch of shirt freight cars (hornby)

I went online and added to it with

An Intercity 125 and 4 coaches (hornby)

And a stephensons rocket with 5 coaches (triang)

Now I just need to bolt something to run them on... :)

Heljan "Falcon" has just arrived from Rails. Beautifully packed, as usual. The Heljan leaflet states that this loco will pull over 15 coaches on a level track.

Hi JP - I love my Kestrel - mine needed a little TLC - one side's cab steps weren't underneath the cab, and the bogie frame cover wasn't upside down, and all others were correct ... Spares are readily available from Howes I'm sure you know and the sprue with the steps arrived and all is well.

I took the opportunity to remove all bogie frame sides and sprayed them satin black - seems 'more realistic' - stock just looked too 'plasticky'.

One member mentioned Class 25 due to come out. If it's half as good as the revised 33 it'll be brilliant!!

Al.

Have they been serviced Darrenmb?  If they have been sat a long time the chances are they will need a good clean of the motors, electrical systems, bodies etc and lubrication before they can be run otherwise damage could result and/or the models could run poorly.

Yes I went through each one, cleaned and lubed, I had one non runner, (the blue class 25 diesel) found the magnet around the ringfield motor was broken in 3 places, so I did the cd motor conversion.. also the stephensons rocket I bought was also a non runner, it had a broken wire at the resistor on the chimney.

I like to tinker with stuff, so I have a good grip on what to do with stuff like this..

On a side note, I would like to start collecting the Christmas wagons ( moving forward as past year ones are priced ridiculously on evilbay)  does anyone know about what time of year they get released?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Darrenmb, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

The Chrismas Wagons have been released ever since 2005 and you will you cost you a lot of money to buy all of them, these days. This year's is due for release in August. This an estimate. It could before, it could be after.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Some pics of what's not shown in my upper post.../media/tinymce_upload/fa4ecda95e64b49d07e57708fe12a4de.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/4842cecb5aca9f63625af7e148370963.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/9748be6415a901111efa2898e400faf4.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/bbd45ee3caf78aaa8e7c2daeed6a65d7.jpg