Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

• 2 weeks later...

A used Polaroid Cube has just reached me, for taking cab-view videos of the layout.   I didn't buy the Plus version as I didn't need the wi-fi feature and the spec. of the standard version is close to the Plus, I have read. (We'll see ! 🤔 ).  Also the price I paid -- £15 post free- was much more to my liking.   The first video clip seems good, in moderately poor light.   So I am now wrestling with the problem of which free software to convert .mov ( Quicktime) to .wmv or mp4 if I am to put anything on YouTube.    Would be grateful for any suggestions using Windows, please.

Just taken delivery of what will probably be my last big loco (unless I start to seriously expand into British Railways era) -  a "Night Owl" (GWR 47XX 2-8-0)  from Heljan. Exactly what I need to head up my train of re-bogied Lima Siphon G

Rana Temporia, I didn't know that existed. Only trouble with your example however, is that's missing the coupiling hooks and the decals are wearing away. I guess that must be to do with age. Is it an made in Britain model? It looks like it.

GNR-Gordon-4

GNR Gordon, apparently there were only 34 made according to the latest Ramsays guide. The full wording should say Hornby USM Debut December 1986 and they were given away at a share launch debut In 1986 So will be a made in Britain model. In Good condition it would be valued at around £400 but I got it at the normal price for one of these 040 locos. I have never seen one before and that is what made be buy it as I’m familiar with most of these locos. I have no idea how or where the seller got it from?

The condition isn’t as bad as it looks in the photo, it looked OK on my iPad before I posted it, perhaps some compression of the photo has taken place. The hooks are missing if there ever were any and there is a small chip out of the front of the cab. The transfers are worn but intact. I’m not sure what to do with it, whether to keep it or sell it on. Most of my rarer items whigh are mainly for display but kept in running order are much older than this.

IF it is the correct valuation AND I can get someone to pay somewhere near it I could have a maroon WAB tank and an electric blue EM2 for that which would be more in keeping with the rest of my stock. For the moment it’s on display. If I could find one of these a month I’d be happy!

A used Polaroid Cube has just reached me, for taking cab-view videos of the layout.   I didn't buy the Plus version as I didn't need the wi-fi feature and the spec. of the standard version is close to the Plus, I have read. (We'll see ! 🤔 ).  Also the price I paid -- £15 post free- was much more to my liking.   The first video clip seems good, in moderately poor light.   So I am now wrestling with the problem of which free software to convert .mov ( Quicktime) to .wmv or mp4 if I am to put anything on YouTube.    Would be grateful for any suggestions using Windows, please.

Hi Jim, i have just got one of these myself, i use the stream/convert feature of VLC, it's free software to download, also when you plug in the cube to your pc, access the contents of the sd card and you will find a polaroid cube EXE file, open it and you can get access to the camera settings, change the lighting to 50hz instead of the default 60hz, and that should solve most of the lighting problems,HTH,

My most recent edition is Class 60 "Roseberry Topping" in the Load Haul livery.

I'm very pleased with it and I'm currently putting it through its paces. I'd like to get the opportunity to take it apart and give it a service but I don't want to damage it when separating the body from the chassis.

ive got my eye on some EWS stuff, but at the moment money is tight and I won't be able to get anything this month.