Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

It's been a good week for additions.

1st from Hattons R4817 dining car very nice

2nd from Kernow 10203 and 3 Bachman coaches. What a superb model 10203 is first diesel on the layout . Very impressed with both my retailers commissions, the P and 10203

derek 19b

I am hoping to expand my ViTrains OO gauge collection. It's fair to say that one isn't enought and as always...more the merrier! OO gauge is not strictly a collection for me and it all goes to a nice tower style showcase I am buying.

I am looking out for the following locomotives from ViTrains:-

Class 37

- EWS

- DB Schenker

- Transrail

- WCRC

- DRS

- Loadhaul

- Regional Railways

Class 47

- WCRC

- Colas Rail

- EWS

- Virgin Trains

- DRS

- NSE

- RfD

If anyone sees either one of these for sale either in "MINT" condition or "USED with detailing packs" please let me know.

Knowing that ViTrains was formed by ex-Lima employees, and the fact that they seem to have departed from the British OO gauge market, I'd hope that a company like Hornby, Dapol, Oxford Rail, Accurascale, Hattons or even Rails of Sheffield buy the tooling.

After having 'won' at quite a reasonable price an 'as new' Virgin 43 HST which really is 'mint' as described, I got the high-speed Hornby bug and fancied the Pendolino ... until I started delving in more detail - the additional coaches required to make a correct-length rake are like hen's teeth - impossible to find ...

I 'lost' a Pendolino last night - basically didn't up the ante after finding out the above information - then went for the Bachmann 221 Super Voyager.

Despite the incredible detail, it appears this has it's faults as well, relating to the power car derailing, so that's a little 'hurdle' I'll come across once received later this week ... one review says to weaken the return spring, the other to simply very slightly unscrew the retaining screw at the top of the bogie to permit more travel.

The Class 43 is superb - another high quality offering, from Hornby!!

Not without it's problems 'though. I removed the 4 bolts and the body of the power unit, to oil and grease up, as it probably hadn't been done since manufacture, then when replacing, the directional lamps were faulty. I've got them working apparently reliably, but it's something to keep an eye on. The amber cab illumination has been perfect, it's just the directional led's.

Al.

Very pleased with my Class 47 loco in RES livery. According to Ramsay's the name "Restive" is incorrect and should have been "Resonant". But I am not going to lose any sleep -- or be "restive" about that./media/tinymce_upload/1db3520227ef53629d358873b2723a80.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c767ba38375c20cadf377b092c77abd7.JPG 😀

Double delivery - same day!!

Bachmann 221 Super Voyager - fantastic looking and lovely shiny sheen to the paintwork.

Hornby 390 Pendolino - OK, I said I wouldn't, but it is the top dog at the moment!! Paint work has that weird matt look to it I just DO NOT like - particularly on an electric 'trainset' should be shiny in places .... broken record.

Apart from the paintwork on the Hornby, both look superb - can't wait to try them out!!

/media/tinymce_upload/92ec09340cb659bd2f5c12fa7c51622f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9cc54a299584accba8d07cc3c837676c.jpg

Agreed about the Golden Arrow - lovely set there Stephen !!

Al.

Bought these today from Great Eastern Models.

R069/070 as far as I can tell. Definitely ringfield motored.

To be converted to DCC, TTS and led lights in the fullness of time.

/media/tinymce_upload/233aba1e7fe9866648a53e959bfe3eac.JPG

Rob

Look good Rob!

TBH, I'd have preferred 'the classic look' livery to the Virgin I purchased, but I wanted the latest specification without ringfield and tyres and wasn't prepared to pay the 'silly money' the classic look goes for.

Keep us posted with the 'upgrades' - looks a nice purchase.

Al.

Bought these today from Great Eastern Models.

R069/070 as far as I can tell. Definitely ringfield motored.

To be converted to DCC, TTS and led lights in the fullness of time.

/media/tinymce_upload/233aba1e7fe9866648a53e959bfe3eac.JPG

Rob

I can recommend these from eBay for the old Hornby hst .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-HST-LED-Lighting-Upgrade-Kit-New-Version-Updated-Design/251999154032?hash=item3aac51ef70:m:m4iPi2K1GdSKSm20JI80oFw

@atom

I really wanted the new green GWR set but the wallet jammed shut at the thought of paying for them.

I thought £25 for the pair I got was a fair shop price. GEM had loads of these so I picked out a matching pair, tried them on their test track, spot of lube and all was well.

First thing to go will be the traction tyres, quite easy to swap out axles as all bogie wheels have gears on them and spares are plentiful, then the pickups will be upgraded if necessary the same way as I did my Class 90 using later bogie components.

Replacing the bulbs with led lighting and installing decoder sockets is a regular task I do. The Express Models HST lighting kit is over £20 with postage so I will make up from my own SMD parts for pennies.

I will post a picture or two on the workbench thread as I make progress.

Rob

Bargain Bonus - when I popped the tops off I found the power car is already converted to DCC with a Digitrax DZ125 hard wired decoder. Trailer car is obviously from a different source as it is full of carpet fluff.

The overall internal condition is fine apart from that dodgy diode close to bare metal and lights are both standard bulbs not leds.

/media/tinymce_upload/cd3f6b70816645696e4c8b425e3f7e60.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/03c27047cce4cbb76faee0f4b484dd29.JPG

Decoder reads back OK, so its into the suitcase to work on when I get back home.

Rob

Bought another Bachmann class 416 2EPB in blue & grey livery to go with 3 others I have - 1 in same livery, 2 in pure BR blue. Always loved the look of this class and related ones.

Also, purchased a decoder to convert an already DCC converted Hornby HST in blue & grey to LED lighting. Didn't go well: The decoder in the dummy car super heated and died. Double checked soldering, looked for short circuits - all looks fine. Typical lol. Did try a 70 Ohm dummy load on motor lines but I think the decoder was in the morgue by that time. Will have to wait to but another.

A bit of Blood and Custard for the collection.  I am slowly building a blood and custard rake of the old Tri-ang clerestory coaches now made by Hornby for my 1950's style branch lines.  This one is from the China made Hornby Anglian set and was a bargain. 2 more composites and I have a nice 6 coach rake.

/media/tinymce_upload/c90917b117ecee67716216cb6aa5d114.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/3ee0dbc53f28318f6b6d842e8a9a703c.jpg

Hi

Just purchased battle of britain Royal Observer Corps locomotive excellent loco plus the two hornby maunsell resteraunt cars in BR and sr liveries also just purchased the bude loco from the 1948 British Railway trials also waiting for the 1948 dynamometer car to recreate the iconic picture of the two together

One fault on the HST Rob is that the red feed wire to the decoder is going to the negative feed (cast chassis) of the motor, it should be the other way around if the loco is as per factory in terms of it's insulated wheels in the right position.

Indeed it is SoT. Thank you.

This picture from the other side.

/media/tinymce_upload/e55eab62ca6a910c2ada02f6ec97176c.JPG

Rob