Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

@Jeff Mennell; Posted at 20:59:42 Fri, 3 Aug 2018; Approved/Moved at 08:41:22 Mon, 6 Aug 2018 and Posted at 23:10:09 Wed , 8 Aug 2018; Approved/Moved at 08:30:14 Thu, 9 Aug 2018

Two great new locomotives you have there Jeff, a very low prices.

Sorry, but I have only just found these two posts, that I am qouting at.

GNR-Gordon-4

Bought another Bachmann class 416 2EPB in blue & grey livery to go with 3 others I have - 1 in same livery, 2 in pure BR blue. Always loved the look of this class and related ones.

If you are not already aware then you may be interested in this:

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/2epbbr001.html    😎

That is an insiane level of information and very interesting :). I knew that the 2EPBs were from the late 1950s and (thought I knew) they retired mid to late 1980s. Last one went in in 1994 - didn't know that!

I'll have another re-read a bit later on, but it did confirm something which I thought was true in that they often operated in Motor+Dummy combo, but did on occaison work in together to form larger rakes.  When this was done did they always power it using a different engine? One of your photos (wintery one) seems to show this? Or did they somehow manage to slave the motors of each motor car to act as one?

Finally, did were they ever mixed with different coaches tacked on to the end?

Which reminds me: Need to get a Thumper set at some point, though not sure where or how to.

@Meir

Most of the BR(S) electric stock could operate in multiple with each other; control being via the 27-way jumper cables and air-brake pipes from the leading cab.

2 EPB units comprised Driving Motor Brake Second and Driving Trailer Second being permanently coupled together. On the SE Dartford Lines the 2 EPB units were often used to create a ten-car train being coupled to two no. 4 EPB units; this being the maximum length available at stations.

They could work in muliple with class 33/1 and 73/1 locomotives but essentially only hauled in trains with DEMU stock. 75mph suburban units could work coupled to 90mph mainline units and unpowered 4 TC units. There was a regular working on the SW formed 33/1 + 4 TC + 4 VEP although occassionally the locomotive would end up in the middle of the train. 

You will find the DEMU stock on www.BloodandCustard.com   😎

A few items today:

Gear / worm puller - fantastic flexibility just need to see if it's strong enough: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walkera-W010-Gear-Pinion-Puller-Remover-Tools-Set-For-Rc-Motor-Pinion-Parts-Y5Y3/282751336226?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Replacement Dummy Pendolino car - my original - new thread pending authorisation on photos - had some issues with the blanking plug - not recognised within any main dealers, Peters didn't recognise it either!! Same on Power and Dummy but Dummy one blew - short-circuiting. Thinking of this complete unit is it'll do as spares as and when.

Replacement bogie for SuperVoyager - Bachmann sending drive cups which should solve my 'issue' so this is over-indulgent, but a good back-up.

Spare female Pendolino carriage couplings - males are impossible to locate - NOBODY has them!!

Also, finally, an extra Pendolino carriage - should bring the rake up to near full length. Wheels can spin a little, so I may replace the tyres as the motor's obviously got LOADS of power and doesn't get that warm. I take her up to perhaps 2/3 - 3/4 power - no point trying any more as it pushes itself off - front bogie jumps.

(Scarily, it reminds me of that Spanish HST which derailed when going 2x the maximum speed for the curve it was on, the other year.)

Al.

Hi Colin, YES.

Didn't realise it was 5 years ago, but no humour intended, just the effect was almost identical when I had the HM 2000 'cranked' momentarily - just to see, as you (must) do in these things!!

The front bogie jumped the track - 3rd and 4th radius.

I am curious that this replacement Dummy Pendolino car has apparently the same PCB as I had installed yesterday, but with the DCC plug as is indicated on websites, plus all wires are black - my 'main' Pendolino set, which is brilliant apart from the electronics problem with the Dummy has a completely different plug - fits an 8-hole socket, but has 2x sets of 3 pins in opposing corners and the top looks completely different ... and ... the wires are red and black - possibly a later model? (Could be a well-looked after earlier model for all I know!!) Let's hope this chassis is successful, or even that I can use this blanking plug in my original Dummy.

Al.

Didn't expect that speed - well done to Hornby, again - they have frustrated in many things and have pleased in many others. Basically means I can cruise at scale speed and have quite a substantial reserve - I would guess the top whack on scale terms was closer to 300 km/h as an 8-car set!!

It almost reminds me of 45 years ago and my brother's old Turbina!! Now THAT was fast!!

Al.

DCC fitted Pendos have a 7-pin inline plug and may have the old R8215 decoder fitted or the replacement R8249 decoder 7-pin variants.

This rig supports directional lighting only, i.e. 2 function decoder.

DCC Ready Pendos have an 8-pin socket.

/media/tinymce_upload/dfb383748eabc7bd5f93cd9f1de41f9b.jpg

It may be that your cars have been modified from the original in order to fit an 8 pin decoder.

Rob

Hi Rob, the seller said he had purchased new off Argos and was eliminating 'MU stock', returning to locomotives and coaches.

I do suspect a conversion somewhere, and the blanking plugs unknown even to Peter!!

'Reserve' Dummy arrived home, I gapped the wheels, tested the lights - all of mine are the 8-pin socket DCC ready ones - and it's been running, with a couple of breaks, for over 30 minutes without problem.

I suppose now that it's no longer produced it's nice to have a 'few spares'.

Overall, it's a 9-car unit - not precisely as dictated, but I'm not that OCD - some coaches were going for £70, so obviously some were trying to remain 100% original - I wasn't going there, not for one coach!

Running well, lights are working, no problems .....

Al.

Got six wagons from the Arcade in Hungerford on Sunday ranging from £5 to £7 a mix of Airfix and Mainline. All boxed in good condition. Good value when compared with ebay but that was probably due to there being no need for postage and packing.

I walked away from some centeneries and B sets (again Mainline or Airfix (can't remember which) but my only reason is that the GWR didn't have many of these particular versions and I probably already have too many

/media/tinymce_upload/609cc158d7261f4dd21e041581829a60.JPG I was in Hattons picking up an order and of course had to do a round of the display cases. They had several models they say are a "Bargain" - on offer to you and me. Anyway, I liked the look of this so they made an impulsive sale!

I went to and from my school in Bath (Spa) by train for many years from around 1955 to late 1963. I used to wait on the platform for my 4.42 (Weymouth) train back to Trowbridge, and more latterly, Avoncliffe Halt and was always excited when the 4.34 non-stop to London Paddington steamed in, pulled usually by a Castle but sometimes a magnificent King,

I already have the King (I like sound locos, funds are not "unlimited" so went for King George I TTS which is pretty nice).

I've been hankering after a Castle since and kept considering buying  Hornby 'Earl of St Germans' TTS for quite a while. Sudenly I find it's out of stock at Hattons and several other places. I did manage to find one at "reasonable" price from Rails of Sheffield and it arrived today, here in Spain.

I have been running it in and am impressed by it's very smooth and quiet running. Sounds are pretty good but would rather have "doors slamming" rather than the ubiquitous and very silly "Fireman's Breakfast". Also, maybe AWS Bell and Siren rather than a couple of the various steam control sounds; the difference between these meaning little to me, I'm afraid. Having said that, the souds are pretty good and I am extremelt pleased with my purchase. I have even found that, with care, it will run without incident on my inner loop of Radius 1 track, something my other big locos are fairly unhappy with.

Looks like all of the 'streamliners' I'm running at the moment have given me an 'A4 thing' !!

I found an purchased a fantastic looking Sir Nigel Gresley yesterday - fully streamlined in LNER blue - would be nice if it were without the fully enclosed splashers - never mind.

For some reason, I've always liked the 'splasher removed' BR green Mallard I had 40 years ago - it was tender drive which I liked at the time - much prefer modern locomotive drive now.

I found Guillemot this morning and just had to get it - so that's 4 A4's I have now - only consolation is it's that same as the number of Coronations I have!!

Al.