Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

The Caledonian is just a bit of fun really.  Cheap enough for a presentaion Set. It rattles and clatters......makes me laugh.  The 2 coaches are in a usable condition, but not perfect at all.  Unlike the condition of the Loco.(A1)

Cock o' The North....just love them. 

The rest I like the look of.  Just need to get some coaches/wagons to match the Loco's.

Qty 5 of these junction boards to replace the plug in choc blocks I was going to use for my track bus.

Pos and Neg in at one end and out the other to loop to the next board, with pos rail connections at the top and neg rail connections at the bottom.

I will probably get some more to hook up my point decoders to the accessory bus.

/media/tinymce_upload/d2db3000ccb211d3c16fde06d850de92.jpg

Excellent service from Brimal.co.uk

Ordered them yesterday and they turned up in this mornings post.

I also got some of their TCRT5000 IR sensors for loco detection.

I'm missing not having a Class 37 - sold my green Bachmann one several months ago and am waiting for another manufacturer's one ... but that's not until Christmas.

As I have several 'heavy freight' EWS locomotives, thought I'd get a lighter freight EWS one and found a Bachmann EWS from a Sheffield-based vendor for a surprisingly good price.

I tried to resist, then ended up putting in an offer, which was eventually accepted ... can't wait, it's an excellent model and locomotive.

I like my diesels to be all-wheel-drive or at least if twin bogies, then both are driven (in the case of Heljan, not all wheels are driven, but their chassis are very powerful and smooth).

Al.

Very nice Rob, for traceability - controls to ... where.

I can imagine how they can become very helpful as a track expands.

Al..

Not sure I understand the question Al.

I am using them essentially as you would tag boards to connect droppers to a power bus. The A & B from the DCC controller come in to the twin connector at left hand end, which exits at the right hand end to the next connection station along the bus. The 18 connectors top and bottom are bussed respectively to the end A & B connectors.

Same applies if used for an accessory bus, except the 18 paired connectors are lashed to the A & B of the accessory decoders, not that I have or need 18.

If you are talking about the IR sensors then they will be part of an ongoing project a forum member has developed  for a group of us, whereby the output from the track sensors are collected by a multiplexer board which sends them to be processed by a PIC chip which then sends the appropriate instructions to either a RasPi, Arduino or PC for whatever automation or signalling, etc is in mind, but we haven’t quite got that far yet, only functional prototype collector and pic boards. 

Understood Al.

Yes I have designated mine DCC (voltage) and (Block) A, B, C, D, etc. Others will be ACC 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, Signals, A, B, C, D, etc. Sensors 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Looks like I seriously under ordered in quantity.

One point I will make about them is that you need to support the connection blocks whilst tightening the wire screws as the PCB mount is not that strong and they can twist, possibly shearing off if over-tweaked.

No worries!!

I'm terribly impatient and getting worse as I get older, but I'm not that bad .... honest!!

As I'm here, I've received a pack of HST Hunt magnetic couplings.

I fitted them to 8 coaches and the power and dummy cars within 15 minutes' time, without 'racing'.

Only negative was that I had to GENTLY open out the NEM couplings for the power / dummy cars, but once done, they seem to hold without problem.

The 'coupling' is pure genius - aligns and works superbly - distance between coaches spot on - perhaps 3-4mm between the carriages which seems perfectly adequate - and it doesn't expand or contract depending on direction.

Coupling is easy and strong.

Uncoupling requires 'the Hand of God' but is similarly very easy - just pull and separate - that's it!

Al.

I've just preordered the Sir Nigel Gresley Centenary Year set with the Hornby Dublo packaging and the Rails Of Sheffield logo.  😛  Been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet, I'm quite taken with the retro look of the box as much as anything.  I can't imagine any of the 1000 sets available being allocated to New Zealand retailers so gone with an English outfit.  Not the Hornby Online Store, 34+ quid for postage prices them out of the running, sorry.

Out of interest, can anyone here shed some light on how Rails are able to use the Hornby Dublo logo/trademark?  Did the copyright expire, is it subtly different, I'm curious to know how it came about.

HK.

I received a few days ago a Golden Eagle A4 Locomotive & Tender, been to a local Hornby shop and part exchanged it for a dud one. Not sure of the official name for the colour scheme, but it is a light green with white stripes. Tender driven. Works like a charm.  😆

14xx Tank

I believe 4482 "Golden Eagle" was the only A4 that Hornby has made in LNER Apple Green, cat no R313 in 1990.

This livery was applied only to a handful of A4s namely 4482, 4483, 4484, 4485, 4486, 4487, 4493, 4494, and 4495 when new, but all received the standard Garter Blue within two to three years. 

FANTASTIC!!

Limited edition 2020 Hornby of course .... !!

The available proprietary gear is huge now, of really acceptable quality before you even consider the 'built' commissioned models which are superb.

Wish I had the time, space and, erm ...  I would love to 'attack' our garden - just big enough I reckon!!

Enjoy, sounds like a nice project.

Al.

I believe 4482 "Golden Eagle" was the only A4 that Hornby has made in LNER Apple Green, cat no R313 in 1990.

This livery was applied only to a handful of A4s namely 4482, 4483, 4484, 4485, 4486, 4487, 4493, 4494, and 4495 when new, but all received the standard Garter Blue within two to three years. 

Wow! In your second paragraph, do you mean in real life as a working steam locomotive, or that Hornby changed there mind and changed the colour?