Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

L&Y, great link thanks. Bulliedboy, that green one on eBay (if it’s the one I think you mean) also has outside cylinders, totally un prototypical!

Also noticed a link to a remind me that the cast Jinty I had was made by Budgie toys. I had the later version with British Railways on the tank side rather than the early LMS one with the huge cab.

A nice Ebay purchase. It was advertised for £125 but nobody bought it. Kept an eye on it, and it was re-advertised at £109.95 so I thought why not. I already have one of these, the second sound loco produced by Hornby, so it will be renamed and numbered. It's shed code is 74E which was St.Leonards nr Hastings. I have a list of names that were shedded there - decisionsblush

forum_image_622203ac24bdc.thumb.png.3e39ee84e420008ac98709752ec5126b.png

• 2 weeks later...
Well, that Class 87 001 Hattons bargain arrived on Friday - opened it up, no 'bits', all solid, and what a superb model!!
I've left the protective covers until she arrives home, to maintain the protection.
forum_image_6225ed2245780.thumb.png.206845c6d2d68303606a7e7f5856f511.png
Al.

Aaarrrgh, too tempting.

Ordered.

Went to Spalding train fair, picked two Caledonian singles cheap, a Blue Pullman in the later BR blue/grey, a Princess pacific, a couple of coaches and a load of wagons and bits. Got a complete rake of unboxed Tri-ang-Hornby R.214 BR Hopper wagons for £21, they have the later code 100 wheelsets and run fine on modern peco track. The boxed wagons were £3 - £3.50. The coaches were a BR MK2 Composite unused from new (made 1975-1976) in a perfect box for £5, and a BR Buffet car(made 1975-1976) also unrun from new in a perfect box for £5. The BP was £40 which was a fair price for a good one. The mint boxed singles were less than £50 each. Was a decent day.forum_image_6238c2ea47853.png.0d92033c2fa55c62b36b4605ab098d68.png

I'll add pre-order to purchase in this one special case.

It's not Hornby, but any railway enthusiast MUST be interested.

I see Rails have a 2nd run of the LNER Dynamometer Car ... with several livery / numbering options as well.

I've put my name down as I missed the 1st run and do have an excellent rake of Hornby teaks, and a very healthy LNER Mallard to boot.

Al.

Just taken delivery of 2 R6969 LNER extra long CCT vans.

I'm happy with the detail, slightly concerned about the shade of bauxite, looks a little brown to me but maybe it's right for later stock, nice looking model though and will look good behind my O1 or as a parcels van in a passenger rake.

But surely axles running in tubes is a step back from pin point axles? I've been going to so much trouble re-wheeling my older stock and reaming the axle housings to make sure they all run with as little friction as possible, not to mention the attention I've taken over a couple of kit built wagons and new bogies for an old kit built coach that was running badly. I'm quite disappointed with how much friction these have, I bet if I put them at the back end of a train they drag enough to derail the middle on a bend. Why? It just doesn't make sense to me?

New set of driving wheels for Hornby A4. She was Mallard but I had another one so re-bodied with Falcon body off eBay. Noticed the other day that the Speedo was hanging down. Reason thread gone on wheel threaded hole for con rod screw. New screw sheared in wheel do new driver set bought.

@mike

My Mallard has decided to strip the splines on its main driver axle gear and I am having problems getting enough slack in the wiring to move the chassis bottom away to get the drivers out. It has been put back in its box and labelled as too difficult for my old fingers.

To Jim R855. The livery is not bauxite but LNER Teak, which is much lighter than bauxite.
Bauxite is the livery used on BR for fitted vehicles and is much darker.

Thanks!

Trying to get my head around proper colours for stock is a bit of a challenge!

Have I wrongly assumed that a CCT would be freight stock and they were teak (or brown by some some sources) because they were considered coaching stock intended to run with teak coaches?

So have I read correctly that LNER fitted freight stock was red oxide in the early days and later bauxite, but virtually indistinguishable from each other, or is that total nonsense and it should all be teak or brown?

I can now see that the teak/brown colour is correct for the CCT, and the bauxite on my brake van seems to sort of match photos when I can find one in LNER livery that isn't black and white, or unfitted grey. I mean I've probably painted it as fitted and stuck the number for an unfitted van on it but that's suits my medium level of detail approach. I'm sure if I was strict on stuff like that I'd find I don't have 2 models that can run in the same train without some kind of anachronism!

• 2 weeks later...

Gone a bit mad recently.

Ally Pally - G2A and B12.

Ebay - Q6, K3 & a J50.

Coming soon - BR 3MT tank and BR 2MT tender.

And a box of 16 non-runners for some tinkering. Preliminary testing shows that nearly all can be saved with some cleaning and lubrication, a few spares needed for a couple of them.

Went a bit mad on Tri-ang maroon mk1s and bought 3 composites and a brake second. Overall very good and as described save for a little damage on one roof which is fine. 4 for £43. One other had a badly cracked roof but that was as

described and I bought it as I had a spare roof. 3 of the coaches had metal wheelsets.

Also got an R113 drop side wagon with as described a damaged side. Happy with that as I have one missing a side so using the new buy to donate a side and a buffer for my existing one. £4.

Also a spray can of BR maroon as I have three mk1s that I bought years ago cheaply, with a poor repaint so hoping I can improve them. If they are a success I will paint a blue grey buffet side as the maroon one I bought a few weeks ago had two sides the same, which I did not twig from the pictures and it was not disclosed. Only £7 so can't complain. It yielded the spare roof I used today and also had metal wheelsets. No interior though which I did not spot either!

It’s a Budgie Jinty, the original version and it’s age is given away by the LMS on the tank sides. They made a later version which looked more like the prototype and had British Railways cast into the tank sides. It was a bit small for OO. I had one as a child in the late 60s but the wheels fell off.

I think these original ones were available just in black. I nearly brought one some time ago that had been repainted red but it was in very poor condition.

The later ones are available in red, green, brown and I think gold and were still available until recently, they may still be available. The castings are not great!

This one is now on a shelf next to my JVM unpowered N2. It gives me something to look at while I’m working.

Ahhh. All is revealed. Thanks RT. Was there ever a powered version? I'm not familiar with the Budgie products although I have heard of them. I had an old Gaiety pannier that I overhauled, crammed onto triang chassis and sold. It was a bit crude and the mazak(?) casting was awful hard - diffficult to get a decent finish. I believe that the manufacturers were automotive parts makers and I think they may have used a harder alloy than is normal for model railway items. An interesting thing from an historical point of view but not much use as a model loco.

Threelink, like this one that has been stripped and primed? This is the Gaiety/JVM body with an original chassis but no rods so I might put a tri-ang one in which is an easy fit. I have another original that has the original chassis and is a great runner.

The Budgie one is absolutely no-use as a functioning loco and would short any track it was put on but it makes a nice ornament.

forum_image_62586b5da50c3.thumb.png.224321c5c1c2f85cc175d0992de432bb.png