Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

My next box of fun is these nine clockwork locos purchased off eBay mainly for spares as they were described as non-runners. However, so far only one is terminal, I suspect that the clip that holds the centre of the spring has broken but will strip it down and have a look over the weekend. A couple of others seem to have weak springs through being left wound up for a long time. A bit of silicon oil has freed all the mechanisms up so everything is free now and I have some spare springs. I should have taken a photo before I started to dismantle them!

yes, there are four incomplete Wild West ones so I will have to see what I can do with them.

forum_image_62586cbc48d06.thumb.png.013c401dc5747170e37257c01d826cc6.png

Just bought a BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 (Bachmann). The direct plug chip I bought for it doesn't fit (two wide to pass througn gap in the boiler so used a conventional 8 pin I was going to use on a LIMA Class 20 that I am currently waiting for in the post.

I've been looking for a BR blue SD Class 56 for some time, then came across one today - large logo this time - and purchased today.

Price was a currently reasonable £100 so didn't even discuss, which I normally do!

Unfortunately - I mean that - the fans are non-rotating, but might resolve that. My EWS one is excellent, super smooth, hugely powerful and has working fans.

Al.

Latest is n Australian SDS Models NR Class locomotive. It looks like an engine that is meant to be used rather than sitting on a shelf to look pretty. The detailing is reasonable but not super detailed. This means I don’t have to worry about things dropping off.

I think it is better quality than the Hornby Railroad Range but not as detailed as the Hornby detailed models.

I think the SDS model is a good balance. However it is not cheap. I would assume due to the smaller size of the Australian market.

Overall I really like it.

Excellent performing locomotive - not exactly the best 'looker' that '67' but an interesting addition.
Al.

thumbsup

She looked pretty good pulling six 'lit table lamp' pullman coaches, the century bar coach and the illuminated observation coach just now.

Just ran it in this evening - an hour or so each way with a light rake of mixed BR Mk.2's - Hornby, Bachmann and Airfix - 11 in total.

That super detail Class 56 is a superbly smooth runner, and can really move if necessary as well!!

Just a pity it's a 'later model' without the moving fans - I'll see what I can do to remedy that - my EWS one is super smooth but looks much better with that 'gimmick' - no issues observed despite what some say!

Al.

I've taken inspiration of seeing a Class 37 being hauled down the M1.

I have a dummy Evening Star and BOB Class SR Winston Churchill arriving shortly, which I'll drop on a bogie and haul by a similar diesel to that currently on my layout...

forum_image_627679a92dfcb.thumb.png.d11386e5dd2289bf673e8d17e980fe9a.png

Just received my 'Hoover' .... 50 007 Sir Edward Elgar.

It's another one that's been on my Wishlist ...

Details already added, and well, and looks great - no obvious problems ...

Battery test at the office showed the directional lights worked, but ... it just 'buzed' - OK!!

Description said hadn't run for 10 years, so had been running but not used for a while - these are the locomotives which require more attention generally.

Being a little disheartened, some (fairly substantial) care and TLC, and judicious amounts of fine machine oil later ... it runs perfectly, and the fan works perfectly as well - great news.

Only problem is that stupid coupling system which doesn't permit it to be at the correct height ... something to work on, otherwise she's an excellent runner.

Just ordered a set of red background, treated etched brass name / number plates from Fox Transfers for her as well.

Al.

Certainly is BB.

That 50 was a worry to start with, now its just that pesky coupling - doors, fan and chassis all very good. The nameplates should add something as well.

The 56 is a simply superb runner - just a pity they stopped the functional fan.

No need for a new post - several days' occasional running later, and the '50' Sir Edward Elgar's an absolutely superb runner - what a transformation from static 'buzzing' - wouldn't have believed it possible without 'major surgery' (possible new motor) but so far, all's fine.

Al.

Elgar's got his brass plaques / nameplates - carefully cut and trimmed they look great.

Just took advantage of a sale at Rails, and finally purchased another 'target' locomotive last Friday, a Heljan Class 86 - rail blue, 'weathered'.

This afternoon, I just did another Rails deal, and agreed a deal on 5x Bachmann Mk.I Pullmans - should look well on some 'Preservation Specials' I regularly run.

Al.

Cheers BB. I'd been thinking that the last few months.

Then, I received some 'financial benefit' from a trip abroad / long hours, so after SWMBO was sorted, some additions were made - very selective choice of course and I've been much better than I could have been!!

Al.