Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

My latest acquisition is the old Triang Pedigree wagons. I bought the new Hornby one and then found the old Triang ones weren't that bad. Considering you can get them for about £6.00, off EBay they are really good value. I swapped the wheels to Dapol modern ones and I managed to buy 5 for the price of the new Hornby one, admittedly that didn't include postage. I did hear someone comment that the colour is wrong on the new Hornby one, I know it is different from the Triang ones.

Hi Colin, I had one of them 45 years ago!!

Just 'won' a good, used Bachmann Peppercorn A1 North British for a good price - to add to the 'blue B.R.' steam locomotives I seem to be collecting!

Canadian Pacific, Mallard, King, (Bachmann) Tornado, East Asiatic Company, and now North British. Quite a mix - there are many more but I'll probably stop there ....

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 6 Mk2 bogies to "modernise" three of my Hornby Mk1s but I received a package containing the MK1 bogies but nothing to say where they are from. I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a reply as it is unlikely to be from anyone else but it seems to be several days early.

Hi John, I had some 'misgivings' with some of the fit and finish, but he did nothing but sing praises - was super happy - almost Hattons Class 66 happy shall we say!

Must admit, my Hattons 66 remains one of my favourites - superb locomotive.

If its half as good as Sam was implying, its excellent!

Al.

The thing is with the Manor it ticks all the boxes, don't have to take loco apart to fit DCC so that the separately fitted parts fall off. I ordered the sound fitted one as it is a good deal for sound. At the price Dapol are charging most sensible people will be happy.

As for Sam he is a guy that does reviews, a bit annoying at times but generally if he says it is a good loco it is. He also notices things other reviewers don't, one I know never seems to find fault with anything, I know she gets freebies, so sometimes the reviews reflect that. Sam's track is Hornby laid on carpet so generally if a loco runs round that it will run round mine. The only one I did think he was a bit unfair with was the Bachmann 9F. I have one of these and to me it runs and looks ok. There again it depends whether you get a bad one.

I would not take any notice of Sams Trains reviews. It is a personal review from one person. I would be more inclined to trust the reviews in the magazines. Sama knowledge of the prototype is some what limited. Or conversely make your own mind up.

DBfan

I have no idea who "sam"is .I have ridden behind lydham manor on the Paignton Dartmouth steam railway many times and the model fits the bill I don't really care what others think if I think it's right for me then that's all I worry about

Regards John

DBfan
I have no idea who "sam"is .I have ridden behind lydham manor on the Paignton Dartmouth steam railway many times and the model fits the bill I don't really care what others think if I think it's right for me then that's all I worry about
Regards John

As it should be it is your choice and if you are happy with it that is all that matters

You have got to be kidding DBfan, they are the last reviews you want to read. Generally they are given samples by the companies to review, if they give a bad one no more goodies. The Hornby program endorsed that for me. It is like the motoring press, most reviews are positive otherwise no lend of free cars for the foreseeable future. I remember hand delivering a car radio for review by the Press, our team had checked it over thoroughly and seeing I was hand carrying it to Germany, it was not supposed to go in the Hold for fear of it getting scratched. People that buy the trains with their own money and then feedback on how they perform is the best sort. I remember watching a review by Barrie Davis about a particular loco, he does go on a bit, but his knowledge is second to none and he was absolutely right as I bought the loco. Sam did a review of it later, as Hornby were doing them very cheap and he said exactly the same. Those are the sort of reviews I listen to.

These are my latest purchase which I got for an incredibly reasonable amount (less then the price of a couple of new wagons or a new coach). All never previously run and had only been out of the box to be photographed. The loco runs like a new one (it is, even though it’s from the 1960s/70s).

I always wanted one of the sets that used to be in the model shops but never got one. I have some other Playcraft/Egger rolling stock but it’s not in as good condition as these. Very happy with this purchase.

forum_image_62fa92e5adddc.thumb.png.bfa17394362354dcb7888670e230770d.png

You have got to be kidding DBfan, they are the last reviews you want to read. Generally they are given samples by the companies to review, if they give a bad one no more goodies. The Hornby program endorsed that for me. It is like the motoring press, most reviews are positive otherwise no lend of free cars for the foreseeable future. I remember hand delivering a car radio for review by the Press, our team had checked it over thoroughly and seeing I was hand carrying it to Germany, it was not supposed to go in the Hold for fear of it getting scratched. People that buy the trains with their own money and then feedback on how they perform is the best sort. I remember watching a review by Barrie Davis about a particular loco, he does go on a bit, but his knowledge is second to none and he was absolutely right as I bought the loco. Sam did a review of it later, as Hornby were doing them very cheap and he said exactly the same. Those are the sort of reviews I listen to.

Your choice

The reviews in the magazines are much fairer than they used to be. Sam is a professional you tuber and that is his full time "job". He is not a modeller and his knowledge of the prototype is limited. The trouble is now a days the internet influences people and that is not a good thing.

I quite enjoy most of Sam's Trains' reviews - but don't necessarily agree with all.

I did doubt some of the Mogul comments, as they seemed so good.

Those for the Hattons' 66 were similar. To be fair, the only problems of the Hattons' 66 were the extreme levels of detailing, apparently some issues with lighting types and locations, and those rotating axle boxes. The locomotive is absolutely superb - mine continues to be probably my top performer - power, noise (relative lack - lubricated), and general reliability - staying on the rails as well.

Al.

I recently received a blue Bachmann Tornado - beautiful model it is.

Unfortunately it does require some 'minor surgery'.

The locomotive came without box, advertised as such, and a reasonable attempt had been made to package it.

Despite this, the front headlamp has gone AWOL, and the front sanders were a little deformed - that's about it.

The headlamp I'll modify one of the many I have about the place - did it to the Brunswick Green Tornado I have. The sanders are well-mounted and made of wire so some careful, patient manipulation should have her sorted - paint, windows and all markings are fine.

Al.