Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Hi

Having reached the age where I can now draw my works pension I have treated myself to 4 more locos a class 86, 2x Class 90's and a Class 91 all secondhand and under 50 pounds each, all have working pantographs also a 3 car HST in intercity swallow livery.

For 25 year old plus model their in a good condition for their age

They will fit in perfectly with my modernish themed layout.

Just got to sort out the catenary wires and gantries & masts I going to use.

Agreed with BB.

Bit of an Evening Star only - a fair amount of 'tarnishing' is probably preferred if possible.

The Snakes do look a lot better - still finer on the Bachmann I reckon.

I'm aware of Sam's Trains' review, and the additional details now present on the Hornby, not present on the Bachmann, but I'm increasingly believing I don't like the rims of the Hornby locomotives - odd 'Heritage' locomotives have had these polished, like the double chimney Jubilee 'Bahamas', but generally these should be 'wheel centre colour'.

Al.

I think the pipework under the cab needs to be dulled slightly. Maybe on Evening Star in the NRM it's polished to death, but on the real thing, in use, it's a little grubby, and so does not stand out as much as it does on the model.

In reality copper pipe turns brown as it ages, e.g. within 12 months if my external gas pipe is anything to go by. If it corrodes then it goes green and you are in trouble.

Loco pipes would be kept more coppery by the cleaners rubbing them with a paraffin rag, but definitely not brass coloured.

I've been busy collecting DCC locos over the last few weeks as all of my 16 old ones are DC. Hopefully some can be converted to DCC.

I haven't started the new layout yet, but, it's in the pipeline for this year and it will be quite large.

The DCC loco's purchased so far are;

Hornby Brit' Oliver Cromwell with sound.

Bachmann B1 with sound. Both of those were my first attempt at fitting DCC and a speaker and they work really well.

Bachmann LMS Compound.

Bachmann 5MT,

Bachmann G2A.

I've got decoders and sound to fit to those soon.

Hornby 9F 92167. Need to get a decoder and sound sorted for that one.

Finally, I've got a Hornby black 5 & Flying Scotsman, both with smoke, on order with Hornby. Can't wait to get them running.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Hi Al - I looked at the same picture (and more). On this picture the bottom of the Ev.Star explanation plate is level with the top of the "steam exhaust", whereas mine are lower. I placed the etched plates directly over the original transfers, as I was not up to making a mess of the smoke deflectors on a brand new model. I can live with it.

If I was that fussy, I would replace the smoke deflectors with plain black ones and then add the plates as they should be. Barry (BB)

Hi Al

I don't usually modify my tenders as such, but do change them around. As you will be aware Hornby have only produced two different types (5100&6000gallon) . This loco, as produced(Holland Afrika Line) by Hornby, came with the 6000gallon tender, which I'm sure BIL was using in 1960/61. It was also a Bournemouth (61B) based loco, so no need to change the smokebox door shed plate. I have a fairly comprehensive library on Merchant Navy Class locos, so colour of nameplates etc., can usually(?) be confirmed.

One lesson learned when changing tenders, they are not always wired the same way - wheel power pick-ups have been reversed on some, which gives an instant fault. It happened once, so I now always check. Barry/BB

I had a bit of good luck this week. A chap over here was selling his dad's layout just to get rid of it.

Lucky me. £1,300 for the lot.

All DCC with sound; Duke of Gloucester, Flying Scotsman, Gordon Highlander, Heljan Class 27, A4 Quicksilver, Battle of Britain class, DMU's x2, 12 lit Pullman coaches plus a load of other rolling stock.

7 DC 0-6-0 shunting loco's.

There's also some fantastic buildings, more than I can count right now, plus trackwork and a Digitrax setup.

Bit early for Xmas but I'm well chuffed!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my third 9F, and decided to pick up another Princess Royal, the R3854 Duchess of Kent. Got the R3711 Princess Marie Louise and the R3713 Princess Arthur of Connaught on the way too.

But I think I'll give the impulse buying a rest over Christmas and see what pre-orders roll in.

forum_image_6362607f3f6b6.png.fbfc9c28f7b444039b7bd9f2627b1929.png

forum_image_63626082179b5.png.1b4094e29bd9092526b6c6641eab8565.png

forum_image_6362608480de8.thumb.png.1bba3c75bda450112b79e018494c16f3.png

I think I made a miscalculationjoy - Just acquired a "new" Merchant Navy Class 35011 General Steam Navigation - it will become 35006 Peninsular & Oriental S. N. Co. - I have just checked my collection of M/N's and I appear to have thirty four - they only built thirty. Oooops!

forum_image_636d307607fb1.thumb.png.6c466da81c64fb16ca1c2bcfe228e07a.png

Hi Tony57 - All are "rebuilt" - I do have two or three in original as built format, but I like the rebuilts having passed Nine Elms and Stewarts Lane twice a day from mid 1964 until the end of steam, and having commuted into Waterloo during that time (actually until 2009). So whereas I did not see them all, I saw a fair few. BB