Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I fitted lights to a blue 08 I heavily 'weathered' - threw the kitchen sink at it.

That light kit (Ebay) is fantastic and works a treat - just drilling holes in the centres of the moulded lamps isn't the easiest!

I ended up getting a set of Springside aftermarket 'jewelled' lamps, removing the glass and drilling out - still looks great now, crawling around in the dark.

Al.

I have just bought the flying scotsman centenary coach r40369 and a mag light kit for it,,the coach is really good with lots of detail and the interior lights are spot on with the colour, only thing I want to mention is i cut off 2 LED,s as per the instructions for a 4 wheel coach, now it leaves one compartment pretty much unlit, so take note incase you want to do the same.

I have now fitted the Hornby Maglight to the newly acquired 4-wheel Brake/Baggage coach - it was five minute job. However the light-bleed is bad. I don't know whether this Brake/Baggage coach is made in of a thinner plastic, but it certainly needs some interior paint (picture before and after fitting lights). Not a problem with the rest of the rake. I may fit a "shelf" across the carriage interior and glue/bluetac the battery holder to it - this will save it rattling about and tugging on the wiring. In the carriages there is a space in which to clip the battery holder - no so in the brake/baggage wagon.

Sometime later:

I have now started painting the interior to block the light, and it would appear that the rear panel of the carriage/wagon (with windows), is actually made of clear plastic! The sides are not as the two windows on each side have interior glazing panels - very strange.

forum_image_63e38c19c23bb.thumb.png.0073dc573ea5fb8e29294b8110142c0a.png

forum_image_63e367a3294c3.thumb.png.f0dd3eba521e60b8368d0be10cdd6e50.png

Typical BB!!

This will be on the rails this evening, crew added somewhere along the line - no pun intended!

I would like to add a little weight, but cannot see anywhere I can - may do the unthinkable and leave alone!! B2 and Rapido Hunslet are big favourites, aside from 'the normal big heavy stuff'!

I'll end up getting bored, put a huge amount on the track and lift out the Hattons 66 again! Always impressive!

Al.

I just bought a ‘box of junk’ off eBay for one item in particular. When I actually got the package today I was actually pleasantly surprised. Some of the items have gone straight into the ‘let someone else throw it away’ box but there were some really useful parts in there. Firstly two ‘Nellie’ chassis without motors and one without a coupling rod. There was an x04 in there with the usual broken brush insulator but it is a really powerful one so will be repaired. There was also a complete (with chimney cap and safety valve) Pannier body, I have a few chassis that will fit that, a seized up clockwork loco that only needed a touch of oil to get it running perfectly…. And the reason I bought the lot, one of the Tri-ang-Hornby ‘Barclay’ diesels which was only ever made in one set and converted from the NB shunter body to take the huge can motor in this chassis. The motor is fine but it is a bit of a ropey runner at the moment, as they always were. It’s the same chassis as the bright blue continental loco and the Swedish diesel. There was also a black version of the continental tank with the number 7744 on the tanks and this chassis, good luck trying to find one of them. I will clean up the chassis over the weekend and add it to the other one of these I have.

I have only ever seen actual blue ones but there was an orange/red body for sale on eBay last year which looked new so may have been a test shot. Someone wanted it more than I did. I grew up with starter set locos so can’t get enough of them.

forum_image_63e40d499b553.thumb.png.67cab9cc6c4043a3a833786c3c510f65.png

I've checked the pickups, and moved wheels side-to-side using a 9V battery, loco inverted.

I can move more slowly over points, and even express points - the 0-4-0 cannot - needs a little speed, perhaps 30-35mph equivalent.

Above this she has no problem over express points. I don't believe there's any issue, hence why I moved the wheels side-to-side, to exaggerate the pickup contact.

The B2 has virtually no issues, with the longer wheelbase.

Al.

After an unexpected 'spate' of smaller industrial steam locomotives, I thought I'd end my little 'spree' with a more normal purchase ...

I found a 'classic Hornby gem' - R2604 'as new' Isambard Kingdom Brunel - fantastic model locomotive and in a very interesting (limited edition) livery.

Of course, once checked over, limited edition or not, she'll be straight onto the rails!!

Only way for me!

Al.