Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

@atom3624

I used it first time today, heating up is slightly longer than I would like, but I have been using for on/off for over an hour with soldering, removing solder and soldering again, battery have used roughly 50%. Only thing, I don't like is, as soon as remove your thumb or finger from sensor, it start to cool down straight away. But I imagine that is to preserve the battery life. Another issue (maybe) difficult to get replacement or different size tips, are from china and delivery time could take a month on cheap stuff with cheap postage.

Here is the link of actual product:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005066269415.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.328f18025xD7pE

Only one unit per customer, as per the website.

@Brew Man

Well at least it wasn't in the same Container as the missing Martello'shushed

I have never had any problems with pre-orders and deliveries - I did have a few issues with my credit-card not working, but that now appears to have resolved itself.

Are you sure it is 8W? Agreed, seems very low.
I would expect at least 30-35W.

I haven't notice any difference compare to my soldering station, which if my memory is correct, is 18W. Battery hold the charge and for my needs at the moment it is sufficient.

I have received today a bargain (I think), A Hornby R3639 Maroon LMS Princess Coronation 4-6-2 6244 King George VI. Almost brand New if not Brand new for £130.00. DCC ready with socket in Tender with 4 wires running from Loco to tender via socket. I have uploaded the pictures and once approve one can see them. forum_image_6409167e1540b.thumb.png.10f582d7c8bce10618c59b7f6e08b21f.pngforum_image_640916809177b.thumb.png.93d421f856f29ff689604c0301af24fe.pngforum_image_64091682941ac.thumb.png.7e5f46503d58466fbb9519497784fc10.pngforum_image_6409168442fa2.thumb.png.0f3f9654ba5f17e472a9c5ab901080ff.png

I have 3 of these; 2 blue, 1 CL - front bogie has not been one of their several issues.

I always fit detail where able, and the larger-wheeled front bogie.

I've had shorting, misaligned quartering and slipping final drive gears.

All are good, for now!!

Al.

I think whoever put mine together was at the end of their shift Al, it’s been a bit of a dog. Front bogie issues aside, the axle gear came loose during running in and had to be reset. My other one in CL has been trouble free out of the box.

I have the R30228 Queen Mary on pre-order, so it’ll be interesting to see if there are any differences.

A busy day for me on the bay yesterday resulted in 3 new LMS loco's to add to my collection.

A Duchess, City of Manchester, a DCC sound fitted Black 5 and a weathered 8F.

That takes my total loco's up to 38, 17 of which are DCC sound. Happy days.

@Les, another 'Stanier man' - my overall preference as well.

@DRC - are you hauling the 9-coach streamliner train - the drag's quite substantial, and one reason I've both added weight to mine, and had those slipping gear issues as well.

At least one has an aftermarket alloy gear, which is perfect, and definitely won't slip.

My 6229 shorted out for ages and I ended up sending back to Margate for 'repair'. It was momentarily repaired - solder on the plunger contact was excessive, but was only partially resolved - I ended up removing more solder, plus ...

I also found the metal sander pipes were catching and shorting, so on this one locomotive, I snipped them in 2 and remounted as individual sanders - it's been fine ever since ..... shouldn't speak too soon!

Lovely model nevertheless.

Al.

Are you sure it is 8W? Agreed, seems very low.
I would expect at least 30-35W.
I haven't notice any difference compare to my soldering station, which if my memory is correct, is 18W. Battery hold the charge and for my needs at the moment it is sufficient.

It says 8W on the box in Deem's picture. Mind you it says, 'Rated power input:8W which is an odd way of putting it since power is dissipated - outwards.

@Brew Man
Well at least it wasn't in the same Container as the missing Martello'shushed
I have never had any problems with pre-orders and deliveries - I did have a few issues with my credit-card not working, but that now appears to have resolved itself.

I had a response from Hornby today saying, 'Thank you for your email. We have looked into your account and see that your pre-order has been cancelled. Please contact us if you required further help.' rage. I replied saying, 'I Know it's been cancelled, that's why I emailed you. What I want to know is why it's been cancelled.'

Honestly, it's like treading through mud.

Very nice Deem, I have one of those myself. It may just be mine, but it has a bit of a dodgy front bogie, seems to like to work itself loose. Might be worth having a look before letting it loose on the track.

Thanks for everyone's comment. I did find it having issue's with front wheel bogie been wondering especially when going over points (Hornby R8072 - R8073) for first few attempt, I looked and found the packaging between the chassis and bogie, as I removed it, Loco seem to been running fine, but only used for few minutes and stored it away. I want to keep as it is, until I have received the HM700 Bluetooth decoder and will try that again with sound.

If the front bogie is derailing, a couple of things:

1. Have you checked the B2B - back to back dimension. Typically 14.3-14.5mm. If too small, wheels can lock against the bogie frame and/or fall off the track.
  2. How is the track itself - 16.5mm between rails - the track itself may be slightly deformed?
  3. When you slowly lift the locomotive up, does the bogie start lifting off right away, or is there 'a little slop' permitting the bogie to remain a little? If lifting straight away, there's not enough 'weight' on the bogie.

Al.