problem with 8247 decoder responding

kered43

Hi i have one of these chips in one of my locos it responds brilliant forward nice and slow and even all the way up to top speed but when it is put in revese it shoots off like a 100mtr sprinter and will not respond to the throttle. I have reset it back

to hornbys manufactures settings still the same do not understand why its fine forward but not reverse .Has anybody had this problem?

AugustusCaesar said:

If it's the decoder try rewiring and then reprogramming... you never know. More likely it may be faulty.

hi i have taken it out of one loco and put it in another still the same.i have had a number of problems

with these decoders to be honest.

RDS said:

@kered43
Do you have other Loco's that work correctly?
If you do, I would have thought it is more likely to be this particular decoder that is at fault.
yes i have others that are working at the moment but this is my 4th

hornby chip to go wrong.

I think I have found the problem. the 8247 is an accessory decoder! how did you get it in your loco?

1. if it is an 8245/8249 have a look at the leaflet and try disabling the dc operation bit in the decoder. I have heard that this sometimes causes

some unexpected behaviour. Just an idea...

2. Did you rest the controller? Perhaps it is transmitting rubbish when in reverse?

3. Do you have any locos that work OK in forward and reverse? do they have the same type of decoder as in the high

speed revers loco?

Archived