R8211 - Rolling Road

RDS

Could someone advise please if the R8211 is suitable for use with DCC. I cannot see why it may not be but one advert I saw stated it was not.

Also, has anyone used one?

[reply]RDS said:

I have one in use with dcc. Be aware that the older models don't. Some of the "clamps" are not insulated and will short on the frame. Look in the slot and see if there is a thick silver wire carrying the voltage. likewise, spare

clamps in packs of 2, must have a hole in the clamp for them to slide along the silver wire. Have a good look before you buy and it will become clear. Unfortunately, they all have the same part number.

@koo9

Thank you for your help.

That's difficult though because I was intending to buy (new) by Mail Order from that well known organisation with 6 letters, beginning with A. I must admit though, thinking about it, I do not understand why DC or DCC

makes any difference to the design and insulation. The only thing I thought about when I started to read your post, was that a DC version may have a capacitor across the terminals similar to the power rail connectors and that it would need to be removed for

DCC. This change I would happily make.

Do you know if the box states that the item is compatible with DCC, so that I could at least ask before purchasing?

I understand as I went down the same route. I would hazzard a guess that they "A" would be selling the latest but they will always take them back if wrong. If you want extra clamps which the wheels run on, there are quite a few older ones out there. Then

you must ask if the hole is there in the clamps or they will not fit.

@koo9

Thanks again, I have just checked the A advert again and it states that it is NOT suitable for DCC. Pity that because I have a voucher to spend but I still cannot understand why insulation makes any difference between DCC and DC.

Hi all

Does anyone use the Rolling Road that could advise me whether it is compatible with DCC.

(I have since received a response from Hornby who say, they 'cannot see why it would not be compatible' but have not provided me with a definite answer)

- the only thing I can think is that it may contain the capacitor that is required on DC but DCC. If that is the case, I can easily remove it.

@walkingthedog

Thanks and I agree but that well known mail order co beginning with A says it is not compatible and someone responded above agreeing - I just could not understand why for the reasons you have stated.

Essentially the rolling road is two wires from the controller to the tender support rails and live rollers, so it is suitable for any type of electrical signal along that path.

Having seen the post about the thick wires and the holes in the roller brackets

I can confirm my basic R4811 rolling road and the additional rollers I bought all have the holes described.

For anyone who wonders why you need extra rollers over and above the 3 pairs provided, it is to support dual bogie trains such as diesels or railbus

type locos off the fixed rail section.

Rob

Hi all

I have now received a definitive answer from Hornby, which states:

"The R8211 Rolling Road will be compatible with DCC, the Amazon listing is incorrect. This issue has been caused as there was an older version of the Rolling Road (R8203)

which was not suitable."

@poliss

That is quite a strange answer really because my R8211 has arrived this morning and it says on the box and I quote 'For use with Hornby and other suitable 12v DC electric locomotives plus Hornby Live Steam Locomotives'. I am more convinced by

the suggestion that the older version has a capacitor but we need someone with an R8203 to advise on that.

I can confirm though that the R8211 works well with DCC. I think I am going to have to modify it a little to reduce the length of the track section

because it is too short in it's present form for Class 37, 47 etc, although the pictures on the box do show it with Steam Locomotives.

@walkingthedog

You are not being dim, I have worded it badly.

I meant to say that the overall length is too short and so by shortening the track section, I will in effect make the roller portion longer. Fortunately, the slots for the rollers go the

full length so I can add some more.

walkingthedog

I had seen pictures of that type and it looked good but I could not find out any more details.

Anyway, I have committed to the Hornby one now and got myself an extra set of rollers. It's great being able to run a loco and see what is

happening without having to chase round the room after it!

To run a Co-Co diesel on the Hornby RR I had to add a couple more live rollers to support the bogies (2 sets of rollers each) and move the steam front bogie support block out of the way. This allowed the diesel to avoid sitting on the static track length

normally used to support a steam loco tender.

Rob

@walkingthedog

I agree but I guess it was a cost decision. The rollers will be more expensive to produce. They are certainly more expensive to buy!

I have now modified my R8211 to halve the length of the track section down to about 3" and using

the extra set of rollers I bought, it works well with my Class 37 and 47 Loco's.

• 2 weeks later...

This may surprise you but toymaster in Halifax sells Hornby.Rolling road for just sixty and take ten per cent off with hornby discount card.I have checked all new prices;they sell a big percentage of various hornby stock cheaper than anywhere.Egypt 1908

Olympics just eighty five sterling.

This may surprise you but toymaster in Halifax sells Hornby.Rolling road for just sixty and take ten per cent off with hornby discount card.I have checked all new prices;they sell a big percentage of various hornby stock cheaper than anywhere.Egypt 1908

Olympics just eighty five sterling.