Pantograph kits

Alessio

So much have I enjoyed my recent forays into mending one of my class 91s that I'm considering attempting to fit a proper pantograph to one of my models- even though I don't have a layout that could take advantage, they look a lot better and I'm eager to

learn!

I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience of fitting one of these, and whether it's a particularly difficult job for a beginner?

Many thanks,

Alex

It has the plastic dummy pantograph, but you can get what looks like a metal one for class 86/90/91 on the famous auction site... I don't know whether they work but the 91 model is designed to take a working one- it has the switch on top to allow either.

If you want to get a better looking one off eBay then go for it, I don't imagine it'll be a very hard project, even if you have to put it together yourself.

I wouldn't bother making it actually work though; its not a very reliable system, just a

bit of a novelty.

SkyCube said:

If you want to get a better looking one off eBay then go for it, I don't imagine it'll be a very hard project, even if you have to put it together yourself.

I wouldn't bother making it actually work though; its not a

very reliable system, just a bit of a novelty.

Advice very much appreciated. I may do so, though I've just discovered that the previous owner of the model I want to do it on had glued the broken dummy panto back on, so removing it will be fun!

• 6 years later...

Well it’s been some time when I looked at this site, does anyone know when Hornby intend to produce the high speed pantograph (Class 87, 91 and 92) as a spare part.  It seems a few of us are waiting for these to show up.

Wow - dredging up a seven years old post as your first question must be a forum newbie record.

Answer - who knows - put it on the Wishlist forum where someone at Hornby might even see it. They don’t usually monitor the general forum posts.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

It does say in the instructions that if you buy an applicable loco with a plastic pantograph, you can send it to Hornby to have a metal one fitted. Locos supplied as part of train sets are fitted with plastic pantographs, but locos supplied as individual models are supplied fitted with current collecting photographs.  You can determine whether your loco is able to receive an upgrade by consulting the Hornby catalogue.