Duke Of Gloucester R3191

Clashfern

Hi Cooped

Well, I knew someone was coming over from the 'new world'. The Tornado wasn't the Eurofighter either!!

Don't take any notice of BB, he's getting soft in his old age. He's a year older than men but I don't have to go to Florida every

year. I froze in New York in March a couple of years ago and that was cold!!

You're falling between a couple of stools this year as far as the A4s are concerned. End of August is too late for the 'Great Gathering', as you know, and the Autumn 'Great

Gathering' is 26/10 till 8/11. Still, once you've seen A4........!!

cooped said:

You don't want our current weather, we've had 6 inches of rain this week and are expecting a couple more tonight with a potential tornado (not the chuffing

kind) warning!

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to run some preserved locomotives so I've just got hold of a new/old stock R3191 8P Duke of Gloucester Special Edition and boy oh boy what a disappointment this model is.

Back to the 1970s, in fact back to Rovex - molded handrails on the tender, molded smokebox door dart, no sprung buffers, no brass bearings for the drivers, one piece driver con-rods.

Will have to get the scalpel out and calve the tender handrails off and calve the smokebox door dart off.

All in all, given the price of this loco, the product is shocking.

@Derob,

Duke of Gloucester was one of the locos from the "Design Clever" era, like Cock o' the North and Tornado.  When these locos appeared in the Railroad range I think they represented excellent value - lower spec locos aimed at those who didn't want or need the finest detail.  However, they were then given improved livery (and in some cases, etched brass nameplates), but not a lot else, and sold with a significant price hike - a similar price to many of the superdetailed range.  I can understand your frustration about moulded handrails etc.  I think Hornby would be better off restricting them to the Railroad range and keeping them in a more appropriate price bracket.

Hmmm.  If I were new to this forum I wouldn't feel great about being criticised for re-opening an old thread.  It's hardly the end of the world.  The new poster has clearly used the search facility rather than just diving in with a new topic on a discussion that might have been covered previously.  In my opinion that is good practice, and hardly something to get worked up about.

Sometimes a 5 year old thread is opened  with a remark/question that apart from the title bears little resemblance to the original. It may contain 10 pages with photographs. Quite often now somebody will open an old post and reply to the original poster who asked the question 4 years ago and has not been seen since.   😀

What WTD just mentioned was my point.

There could be some relevance to a new problem in an old post, but if 'dug from the depths' quite often those original participating may be 'taking a sabbatical' and may not be able to respond.

There could be some direct relevance in the last comments which 'current' perpetrators could assist with, in which case, it is indeed valid, but it is normally the former, and nobody will respond.

Of course, new members are very welcome.

Al.

As a new or infrequent contributor, it's difficult to know where to strike a balance. On the one hand resurrecting an old thread which still has an unanswered question, or provides an answer that needs clarification, gets the sort of critical reaction seen here. On the other, raising a new topic for something asked before attracts criticism for not looking first for relevant old posts. Not encouraging to new members!   

What has been seen is somebody 'popping onto the forum' and replying to something somebody had posted perhaps 5, 6, 7, more years ago ... as if it was posted not more than one week ago.

These will seldom, if ever be answered by the original 'poster', for various obvious reasons.

If the thread is REFERENCED, but adding recent details, continuing a new discussion based on these, then it is most definitely relevant.

Al.