Another update

@BigNoj

RailMaster has advised me that v1.51 is available but the upgrade via rail-Master failed.

I then tried through the powerpos address given and that failed as well, with an error code of 404, Page not found.

Did you manage to load the update

OK?

It could be your firewall blocking the download. What address did you use to manually download from, www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup151.exe?

I put that in my browser and it asks me if I want to save the file, so something must be there.

Yes, RDS, Hornby have done it again by the looks of it. RM told me to download the previous update and, following their link gave the same result. Even though it then gave a powerpos link to go to, that failed as well. As Tim says, you need to get the

relevant powerpos address which he seems to have given, including the update's version number. That should sort it for you. I'll have a go now myself and see what happens. Thanks, BigNoj for the news.

@LMSTim

Thanks Tim. It's not a firewall problem. The address I was using was www.powerpos.com/rail-master/setup.exe exactly as given in the RailMaster error message.

I have now used the address you have given and it worked perfectly.

Thanks

again,

When you get the update automatically then that's fine... but if you get an error message and a link offers to allow manual download using setup.exe on the end ofthe link ignore it.

It's an old link to a file that does not exist. You need to use

the rm_setup151.exe LMSTim gives BUT change the version number on each release of the new updates. E.g. rm_setup152.exe when v1.52 pops up in the future... never fails. :-)

@Graskie

I agree that Hornby should change the link each time. I notice that page 7 of the 'new' v1.51 manual even still shows the link to v1.50

I am just in the process of compiling a new combined list of desirable features for our other thread

but to be honest I don't see this as a desirable feature but one that someone in the software team at Hornby should pick up whenever a new version is available. I will mention it separately though in a note to Hornby when I send the combined list, hopefully

during the next week.

RDS said:
@Graskie
I agree that Hornby should change the link each time. I notice that page 7 of the 'new' v1.51 manual even still shows the link to v1.50
I am just in the process of compiling a new combined list of desirable features ...

RM

Demo version failed on the auto update to 1.51 from within RM, crying about not being able to find the designated Elite port, etc.
Flagged it to RM support from within the app and they suggested updating via their direct 'www.powerpos...1.51.exe' link

which worked faultlessly - all thanks to RM support for answering over the weekend.

Another suggestion for desirable features would be where the update is initiated from within RM, the installer should ask for admin rights if not present (I have RM

set up to open with admin rights anyhow so tis should read across to updates), rather than saying you must start again with admin rights. I wonder if the fail is due to a) RM running and b) the Elite being connected.

Maybe the installer should say I

need to shut down RM and somehow hold off the Elite connection until the update is installed using admin rights.

Also noticed that if you go into the RM folder in Programs (x86), etc some of the folders refer to out of date info, e.g. Elite drivers

talks to v1.4.

I always close down RM on my PC and disconnect from my Elite before attempting to install an RM update. I believe I read somewhere that you should really do that, especially the former. I think it's always a good idea to close down any computer program

before updating it.

Re the latest handbook. Minor points are - no page number at bottom of pages 11 and 15, no even page numbers at all, two page 33s, the second one should be 35. I always print a hard copy for handy referral and correct page numbers

can help with printing, especially reversing sheets for odd numbers on the facing pages and even numbers on the back. I need to buy some more paper now, though!

Talking about Admin rights, how can you tell that RM has been set up with them?

To confirm and give admin access rights just right click on the RailMaster icon (the one you normally use to run the program) then select properties from the menu that appears. When the properties are displayed click on the compatibility tab and make sure

there's a tick or cross in the "Run as administrator" box. That should do it.

There is no real reason why any software of this type needs installing with admin rights. Those issues are easily solved with a quick addition to the written software that detects if you are an admin or not. It basically comes down to lazy programming.

The

only other reason to use admin rights is to install old software on newer OS's. Even then that's not foolproof.

Having worked in this line of industry for many years I can tell you loads of reasons why these folk do this but it would take a page or

two...

Anyway... nuff said... as for the page numbers... well.... :-(

RAFHAAA96th said:

Also noticed that if you go into the RM folder in Programs (x86), etc some of the folders refer to out of date info, e.g. Elite drivers talks to v1.4.

I've often noticed that updates don't update everything,

including the manual at times, so you end up with references to previous versions, not the latest you are using.

This is the release note:

Hornby RailMaster 1.51 Release Notes - June 2013

=============================================

The latest release of RailMaster is a maintenance release.

● Maintenance Release including minor bug fixes

Using

up/down arrows to move lines in program editing window beyond grid bounds fixed

Minimum speed limiting in multiple headers when using large pop-up controller fixed

● Automatic eLink firmware update system built in including firmware 1.02

● New RailMaster.ini

file line to enable or disable remote mouse control of locos (see guide)

● Further six ready-made plans included from the Hornby Book of Plans 2009

All thirteen plans from the book are now included with RailMaster

● Recently released Hornby locos

profiled and added to the RailMaster database

● Updated RailMaster PDF guide

Archived