Loco Detection (2)

Hi All,

Just for a bit of info, having watched a DVD of eLink / Railmaster from a magazine, where Loco Detection of The Loco, Speed, and direction and of course position, was SOON to be available .... I phoned Hornby to enquire if the this was indeed

available yet !!!!

A very nice lady explained "we are working on it", I asked 'ok, but is there any idea when it will be available, Replay "we are working on it", so again I asked 'But it will be available in due course then ?' ... Reply ... "we are

working on it" .....

At this point I came to the conclusion I was not going to get any further, thanked her, and hung up.

Considering this DVD is from some time middle of last year, I am not holding my breath for it to be available any time soon.

But

in fairness, the product is a cracking bit of kit, and I'm sure will entice many new modellers to delve into DCC at an acceptable price especially using PC/Mobile control being a big bonus for the 'youngsters' of today who seem to have phones 'glued' in their

hands .... playing some sort of game or texting ...

And if the 'Voice Control' becomes fully available, well .... who knows.

(Might not understand all those railway modellers comments though !!! )

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the interview with Simon Kohler you will see that he said it will be available when the patent process has been completed.

It would be wrong for Hornby to give any details until this procedure has been signed and sealed.

You

were really asking Hornby 'how long is a piece of string?'. He makes it quite clear that they have to get things done correctly and when this has been done they will be in a position to give an indication as to its availability.

walkingthedog said:

You were missed Fishy. Or maybe PJ was enjoying your absence. Don't think so though.

I am laughing my socks off. Well not really just had a break from wiring up 15 switches and a jack plug for my lighting.

The wires remain under the board until my wife and a friend up end it for me. No rush got lots to do. Just created a weir in the river and added loads of small pebbles and more realist water. Also just bought some nice fishermen, some lily leaves, bulrushes

and some nettles. There is always nettles near a railway... ouch.

TrainTracker said:

Hi All,
Just for a bit of info, having watched a DVD of eLink / Railmaster from a magazine, where Loco Detection of The Loco, Speed, and direction and of course position, was SOON to be available .... I phoned Hornby

to enquire if the this was indeed available yet !!!!

A very nice lady explained "we are working on it", I asked 'ok, but is there any idea when it will be available, Replay "we are working on it", so again I asked 'But it will be available in due course

then ?' ... Reply ... "we are working on it" .....
At this point I came to the conclusion I was not going to get any further, thanked her, and hung up.

Considering this DVD is from some time middle of last year, I am not holding my breath for it

to be available any time soon.

But in fairness, the product is a cracking bit of kit, and I'm sure will entice many new modellers to delve into DCC at an acceptable price especially using PC/Mobile control being a big bonus for the 'youngsters' of today

who seem to have phones 'glued' in their hands .... playing some sort of game or texting ...
And if the 'Voice Control' becomes fully available, well .... who knows.
(Might not understand all those railway modellers comments though !!! )

It

has been coming for some time, yes since last year... they are working on it. The good news is they have not one but two systems and they are both submitted for patenting. But they are working on it.

The fact Hornby have submitted for the patents means

they are a lot further ahead than they were last year, we are frustrated but, they are working on it.

As for voice control I am unsure what will happen, I don't want my wife to say do you want a coffee and the train stops and returns to GO! (But will

not collect £200 because we will have spent it on loco detection)

Enjoy your hobby... and you too TrainTracker will be 'working on it'

RDS said:

This was a very interesting thread when it covered, oh yes, I remember - Loco Detection.

It sure was an interesting thread. Hornby laid the bait, loco detection is coming. We all got excited then they said they have

changed it but cannot tell us what they have done as it is out for patent.

So we started to speculate, and then when everyone has got excited someone says, but we don't even know what system Hornby have decided on. So we thought we would have a chat.

Tomorrow

I will have a break from the layout building, I am going to the model railway show at Kendal, in Cumbria. I am going to spend my loco detection savings on my layout, AGAIN! Guess you don't know where I will be Sunday?

• 2 weeks later...
Gregd99 said:

after all the discussion..... is there any info on when the system is meant to be available?

Hi Gregd99, there will be no information until Hornby receive the patents, we may not hear straight away after that

as the items have to be produced but, you can be 100% sure once we do know it will be on this forum.

I'm assuming this will need to utilise another USB port on the computer, as I cant see how else they would get the loco detection data back into 'the system'.

Given Hornby say you should't run RailMatser with any other programmes running (Bit of

a nuisance if you want to read the User Manual at the same time!) I wouldn't be suprised if there also needs to be a significant improvemnt to the communication part of the RailMaster software to stop it crashing while reading detection data and trying to

communicate at the same time with the Elite or e-link!

But, let's remain optimistic, I sooooooo want loco detection, it will transform RailMaster and release the potential of it's programming abilities.