DCC loco running on DC

mikep7

I have just bought a "DCC-fitted" loco and understand it's OK to run this with my many other DC locos on DC power. However I notice that the DCC loco runs in the opposite direction to all my DC locos which makes 'double-heading' impossible with it.

What's

the best way to fix this - change the polarity somehow (and if so how) or remove the DCC chip and make it just "DCC-ready" (is this easy or a major challenge ?

thanks Rog for the suggestions. I tried (with some nervousness) turning the decoder round and bizarrely it made no difference. As for the motor connections there are many and all deeply buried so I'm stuck for the moment.

Hi

If you're unable to access the motor feed wires or dont fancy the challenge, then you need to find someone with a DCC system (Local model shop, Model railway club or a friend etc) and ask them to set the normal direction of travel to the opposite

from what it is now. This can be done by the DCC console or by directly alerting the value by 1 set into CV29.

@mikep7

I would NOT recommend altering the wiring. The suggestion about getting your loco reprogrammed by someone with DCC is the best option. I assume (because you have bought a DCC loco) that you are planning to go DCC at some time in the future?

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

@ poliss Yes it definitely has a decoder fitted not a blanking plug and was advertised as "DCC-fitted"

@ pidder Turning the decoder round doesn't get round the problem, I have 5 DCC ready locos all of which

go in the same direction as my DC ones, so this latest loco needs a different fix

@ everyone else - yes I think I'll get someone with DCC and get them to alter CV29, whatever that is, and Hornby have also since offered to do this. I didn't want to change

the wiring ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived