Version 1.54 problems writing CV's

Anyone else had this problem?;

Since 1.54 update I am having problems writing CV's.

It goes through ....writing....confirming....reading and then an error window appears that it cannot read CV's. I 'tick' the error window and the system now

is stuck in the ....writing....confirming....reading loop.

If I restart Railmaster and then just try to read the same CV, it has actually changed but the confirming process seems to get in a mess when initially writing.

I re-installed 1.53 and

it works fine. Went back to 1.54 and the CV write problem above was present.

Any ideas? (Have also contacted support)

dgilbert2 said:

It goes through ....writing....confirming....reading and then an error window appears that it cannot read CV's. I 'tick' the

error window and the system now is stuck in the ....writing....confirming....reading loop.

If I restart Railmaster and then just try to read the same CV, it has actually changed but the confirming process seems to get in a mess when initially writing.

I

re-installed 1.53 and it works fine. Went back to 1.54 and the CV write problem above was present.

I can confirm the problem. It reads all CVs I ask for, but if I change one (eg CV146 - Sapphire

fuel sim on/off) it goes through the writing, confirming bit then flags up an error. Tick the box and it repeats the process until I X the box, then when I reopen it and read that CV again it is as I changed it.

I have Elte as Controller A connected to the Prog track and ELink as Controller B not connected to any prog as it is for points and they are all sorted, but I am sure I can hear both controller relays clicking.

Could RMCS confirm that any programming

action is sent to both controllers and if so how does the one know not to confuse the other, etc.

RAFHAAA96th said:

I have Elte as Controller A connected to the Prog track and ELink as Controller B not connected to any prog as it is for points and they are all sorted, but I am sure I can hear both controller relays clicking.
Could

RMCS confirm that any programming action is sent to both controllers and if so how does the one know not to confuse the other, etc.

There should be no confusion here. The only decoder to respond will be the one addressed, no matter which controller

it is connected to.

I will give you there is a possibility of confusion with a loco decoder, or an accessory decoder, connected to each controller. Both will respond. So the rule of only one thing on the programming track at a time would seem to be

necessary for both controllers.

This is another bug that HRM support cannot replicate. I would be grateful therefore if everyone with Railmaster and an Elite or eLink could try writing to a CV and reporting what they find.

I have now even tried doing this on a completely different

computer running windows 8.1 but that has the same problem :-(

It makes no sense that I cannot get version 1.54 to work and yet 1.53 and earlier work fine!

dgilbert2 said:

I would be grateful therefore if everyone with Railmaster and an Elite or eLink could try writing to a CV and reporting what they find.

I can confirm your findings. I have replicated using an Elite + Windows

7. When it loops around and does the Write again, you can press the X button to close that window. The Elite goes on clicking away in the background and you then get the "An error occurred writing..." message, but this time when you click the Tick, it has

exited the loop. You can then go back into the Loco Info window and read the CV you were trying to change, and you will find that it has changed. At least this saves having to reload RM!!
Ray

St1ngr4y said:

I can confirm your findings. I have replicated using an Elite + Windows 7. When it loops around and does the Write again, you can press the X button to close that window. The Elite goes on clicking away in the background and

you then get the "An error occurred writing..." message, but this time when you click the Tick, it has exited the loop. You can then go back into the Loco Info window and read the CV you were trying to change, and you will find that it has changed. At least

this saves having to reload RM!!
Ray

Thanks, I hope they fix this soon. You would not want new RailMaster customers having this problem on Christmas morning! :-(

We have identified a small problem in the timing system in relation to confirming CVs when writing. Although the CV does in fact write the correct value, the confirmation can fail on some systems.

You can download the setup program from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe,

install that and see if it resolves the issue on your PCs.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

We have identified a small problem in the timing system in relation to confirming CVs when writing. Although the CV does in fact write the correct value, the confirmation can fail on some systems.

You

can download the setup program from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe, install that and see if it resolves the issue on your PCs.

Have now tried the above file and it has certainly changed what's happening when writing cv's. I find now

though that it seems to get stuck on the red 'confirming' text and does not seem to finish the routine. The cv though, if I close and go back in again, has changed.

dgilbert2 said:

It goes through ....writing....confirming....reading and then an error window appears that it cannot read CV's. I 'tick' the

error window and the system now is stuck in the ....writing....confirming....reading loop.

I

re-installed 1.53 and it works fine. Went back to 1.54 and the CV write problem above was present.

dgilbert2 said:

This is another bug that HRM support cannot replicate. I would be grateful therefore if everyone with Railmaster and an Elite or eLink could try writing to a CV and reporting what they find.

I have now even tried doing

this on a completely different computer running windows 8.1 but that has the same problem :-(

It makes no sense that I cannot get version 1.54 to work and yet 1.53 and earlier work fine!

Fishmanoz said:

Nobody's perfect Michael, not even HRMS. On the whole though, I think they are doing a great job and, as you can see in this instance, have been very responsive when problems have been identified.

With my experience

with computers from a green screen Tandy, the first BBC micro, MS-Dos and PC-Dos, through every version of windows, plus my wife's electronic die cutting machines and more, from time to time with all of them there have been problems with downloading and installing

upgrades. It is frustrating when it happens but I am sure Hornby will sort the problems for you, sometimes it may be a conflict or need a patch, there are so many computers on the market and in our homes all with different operating systems and other companies

software in them.

Oops, I'm going to have to watch myself.

First, no relation, and if you look back to when he and DCCTinker were posting, which was last quite some time ago, I was their biggest critic. This was because they were unashamedly pro all Hornby, whether

justified or not. And to the extent that they annoyed me intensely. If you remember, I referred to them as the explosive pair of TnT, being of cause Tim n' Tinker and always going off if one word against Hornby was said. In fact, I reported them to the administrator

on one occasion when they were completely over the top in their criticism and that thread content was removed.

And no I'm not the local Hornby rep. I'll be more circumspect in my praise of them in future, even if I think it is due. I wondered whether

to make that last post in support or not for this reason, and you've confirmed to me I shouldn't have.

Then again, blanket criticism rather than sticking to the specific shortcoming, is not helpful either.

We have noticed that some users have been experiencing difficulty programming CVs through the CVs window, where although the CV would write successfully, the confirmation process did not always complete.

We have uploaded an update to www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup155.exe

which you can download and install to see if it resolves the issue for you. This update has not yet been made automatically available to everybody else so that those of you who have experienced the problem with writing CVs can test it and let us know if it

doesn't work for you.

We hope to make the update available for automatic download early next week.

Archived