Loco Detection Module Setup

Phul007 said:

Looked more at the new version last night and the options programming a detector. looks like when you add it to a layout map you can set states of what it should do , ie if train id 7 travel right then set signal # to stop.
looks

like you can have multiple states and then in your program you can disable or enable a detector or the entire loco detection system. This makes sense that you want each detector to act on its own as the main program wont run more one program at a time.

Its

all exciting and will make my layout the way I want it. Santa hurry up.

Hi Phul007, I can't agree more. It is all exciting stuff ;-)

Fishmanoz said:

PJ, look it up in the 1.55 manual, put a detector onto your schematic somewhere and look at the programming options you have. Also look at the Detection tab in RM Setup window.

Hi Fishy, I have checked PDF mentioned

it refers to...

Loco detection pages 4, 60, 93 in the index but searching the document for 'Loco Detection' I get the following messages on the following pages, in brief (available soon)

Page 4, Detect locos, direction of travel, speed and even

acceleration/deceleration
using the option Loco Detection System (available soon).

Page 24, Within the second tab in System Settings you can specify additional options for
loco detection (available soon) and PC networking.

Page 61, Additional

functions relating to Loco Detection will be detailed in a later guide.

Page 85, Additional commands relating to Loco Detection will be detailed in a later
update of this guide.

I follow you on the PDF file and the Detection tab in RM Setup

window but am I missing something I cannot see the... 'put a detector onto your schematic somewhere and look at the programming options you have.'

I found it! In 'Design Layout'
- Open layout to edit it
- Click 'Add point control buttons and

other features'
- Add a Loco detection sensor (The blue box, description only when using mouse over box)

Well, I think that's as far as we can get for now but, hopefully, as Hornby say or have been saying, Available soon!

Have we any idea

of time scale, cost and number of locos controlled from each detector?

It looks good. How many locos initially and how many track sensors

are needed is the big question. I guess I will go for the kit first and build on it, or the kit and extra sensors.

The bigger question I guess is, when?

RDS said:

This is exactly why I had been hoping that someone would have been able to ask Hornby at the NEC show. (Unfortunately, I could not get there myself.)

Come on Hornby, can you give us some idea please. Are we looking

at 1 month, 2 month?

It will help us plan our layout and purchases and give us even more to look forward to. All we are asking is approximately when, please.

walkingthedog said:

If they say 2 months and it's 3 you'll all complain so I guess they've decided to keep quiet until they're sure.
I can feel the tension in the air.

Me too WTD, but I have just driven 300 miles in horendous

weather, rain doesn't describe it!

I do understand Hornbys caution but, to add in their PDF 'Available soon' several months ago maybe we should be entitled to some kind of update. Are we looking at a month, 3 month, 6 month? QUOTE: not to be held to

just some idea, even 1-3 months is better than nothing.

Have you noticed that the thread titled Detection on page 2 of this forum started over 18 months ago asking exactly the same question - when?

So the answer is it will be here when it's here, and not before.

For planning purposes, plan that

when it arrives, and you want to use it, you will have to wire detection modules into ever point on your layout where, if any train arrives at that point, you want to make a decision about what happens next. Should that train stop or continue. Should some

new route be set. Should any other train start or stop. Should signals get set. Or anything else happen contingent what has just happened.

For planning purposes, plan that every loco you have, and maybe some rolling stock, will need to have a detection

ID tag fitted.

For planning purposes, you will have to set up a detection controller attached to your PC via a USB cable, just like your current loco etc controller, and also attached to the track. Plan that if you have more than 24 detection points

on your layout (I think that is the right number), you will need 2 such detection controllers. RM allows for 2.

When you've done all of that planning, look up Serenity Prayer in Google and read it. Then plan on waiting until you hear more from Hornby

that the gear is on stock notification, place your order with your favourite retailer and plan on waiting until it is delivered.

Fishmanoz said:

Have you noticed that the thread titled Detection on page 2 of this forum started over 18 months ago asking exactly the same question - when?

So the answer is it will be here when it's here, and not before.

For

planning purposes, plan that when it arrives, and you want to use it, you will have to wire detection modules into ever point on your layout where, if any train arrives at that point, you want to make a decision about what happens next. Should that train stop

or continue. Should some new route be set. Should any other train start or stop. Should signals get set. Or anything else happen contingent what has just happened.

For planning purposes, plan that every loco you have, and maybe some rolling stock,

will need to have a detection ID tag fitted.

For planning purposes, you will have to set up a detection controller attached to your PC via a USB cable, just like your current loco etc controller, and also attached to the track. Plan that if you have

more than 24 detection points on your layout (I think that is the right number), you will need 2 such detection controllers. RM allows for 2.

When you've done all of that planning, look up Serenity Prayer in Google and read it. Then plan on waiting

until you hear more from Hornby that the gear is on stock notification, place your order with your favourite retailer and plan on waiting until it is delivered.

Thanks Fishy, a lot of good detail in there.

Now plan to have a nice Christmas,

I am with one of my daughters and grandchildren, 300 miles from home for a week. Missing my loco's and layout already.

Best wishes, have a good one, thanks for all your vakued advice.

Fishmanoz said:

No worries PJ, all part of the service. Same to you and yours and trust the withdrawal symptoms aren't too severe, or last too long.

Sometimes it is good to take time to sit back and think forward all that I

still have to do.

As I do so I suddenly realise you are in Australia so will be eating your Christmas pudding before me. ERMMMMM Hope you enjoy your Christmas (and your Christmas pudding!)

Archived