Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jimyjames

Thank you. 😀

The dark red and yellow diesel shunter is Dart. He works at the Vicarstown Dieselworks. I suspect your BR Blue Diesel Shunter is a Class 06? Dart is Bagnall Shunter and there are not many Hornby Bagnall Shunters about. Hornby have released many Class 06's, so I imagine you have ome of these? I have three Class 06's.

The Class 06 and Bagnall are very similar, especially the Hornby models. They are the same height, width and length, plus they have the same motor and chassis.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

/media/tinymce_upload/08e740a5aa7ece5dd00217907601094a.jpg

It looks as if trouble is brewing! Two Devious Diesel's have arrived from the Mainland, to help with the extra work on Sodor. I don't think they like each other though!  😆 😉 😀

Left to right in image: R.317 Diesel (Rare white faced version) and R9050 Devious Diesel.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@ackers5861,

That layout i section is looking spectacular. When I get around to it I shall get some pictures up of mine. I have made a lot more progress since the last pictures I uploaded (see Page 87 on the website). I also model GWR; assuming that you're a GWR fan as well, hence the GW style box and water tank on your layout. Is the station specifically modelled on somewhere real or just your imagination? Mine is called Cwm Gurig, because it's based on the Llangurig branch off the line from Moat Lane Jct. although unfortunately I haven't been able to find any track plans of the original station so it's just based on pictures I took of the area, and other pictures online. Since the last pictures, I have ballasted, made some scenery, got the track all fixed down and working properly and finished the first board piece.

Looking forward to the next instalments!

GWR

Thanks @ Great Western Railway.

It is indeed meant to be GWR, particularly around the south-western region. The setup itself is imaginary, but a lot of it is loosely inspired off the South Devon railway in the Buckfastleigh area. The wayside station itself is honestly just a metcalfe kit (PO238), so it isn’t anything too special. Some additional parts have been retrofitted onto the model (e.g. GWR spear fencing from ratio), but I’m still in the process of additional modifying. 

I do however plan to scratch build my own GWR-themed engine shed for the fiddle yard area, which will be to my own design. Most of the sheds which can be bought premade are just too generic for the context I wish to model. I figured this would be a good opportunity to save money and put more of my modelling skills to to the test, so it should be an interesting side-project.

Looking forward to more images as a fellow GWR fan. 

Hi ackers5861,

GWR is a truly great livery/style. I shall get some pictures up now, so that they're approved by the forum moderators by tomorrow perhaps? I also have a few of the metcalfe kits, the ones I own shall not be included in my section. The kits I have are the red brick viaduct, the GWR signal box (the same one as yours, I've also gone for the red brick base), and the goods platform kit.

For my layout I am looking at either scratchbuilding a signal box (because my GWR doesn't quite fit without huge changes), or buying a (un)painted kit build.

GWR

And finally

/media/tinymce_upload/afa558de2cd9529fb1cd97b240cebbbb.png

The scenery piece finished with some lichen, an old barrel, old fenceposts, and other odd bits of detail.

Enjoy!

GWR

P.s next job is to finish ballasting the short section between the station and the second (almost) finished board. Then in order to add scenery to the boards (just like I did on the smaller board), I paint a layer of black paint on first (to give a darker texture), leave it to dry then add a coat of PVA glue before adding scatter materials.

Here is my first attempt at a scratch build that I’ve been busy making for nearly the past couple of weeks: a double-line engine shed. The design itself has been largely improvised as I wasn’t quite sure how to approach it, with standard measurements taken from what could be gathered from various internet sources, though I’m not too sure how well proportioned it really is. Materials range from coffee stirers (shed front and roof A-frame), Will‘s kit (roof tiling, shed wall-backing and arch windows), and simple Metcalfe card for the brickwork. It’s not the best, but for a first, not so serious go, Im not too disappointed. Some additional effects and features need to be added, such as roof guttering and downpipes, chimney for the side/office building, a bit more weathering, and possible light installations.

Cheers.

/media/tinymce_upload/0bc3d939d3b0258e54e8aee373265a9e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c71e8c252275447242e9a0cfdbb3f22b.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/5def8812c1fb730f6f6f43ffc8e4d8e6.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/40e34d48c8befd03e951133ca22af1d4.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c62bd6cde0cac4118cfca1cabac7960e.jpg

@atom3624 Big thanks for the compliment.

My 6x4 layout runs up to locos at a time, although I plan to have an additional two reserved in the sidings. As my layout is GWR-themed, there are two locos I currently own which will be run: my Class 57xx Pannier and my City Class 4-4-0. I recently also purchased a couple of second-hand Bachmann Mk 1 passenger coaches. For the other two, I have my sights on possibly a small diesel shunter and a Prairie tank. Stock has not been much of a priority at this point, so I haven’t given it full thought yet. I have of course other stock which can be run for fun such as my Black Prince 9f (although it despises 2nd radius curves), Mallard, Scotsman, and a couple of others.

Have to agree, Jimbopuff. Very satisfying and therapeutic, and not to mention money-saving. As much as I’m looking very forward to seeing my trunks eventually run on a final layout, it is the process leading up to that that is the real adventure, even on something as small as my layout.

Scratch building can be satisfying. I scratch build a lot of stuff, it can save a lot of cash. Sadly scratch building is a dying art as most people just buy off the shelf. As some will know I did a simple anyone can build signal scratch building article some time ago on here.  All it takes is time and getting the right tools, materials and patience./media/tinymce_upload/b6ac046acdd97b4631a086492db925fe.jpg /media/tinymce_upload/45617479461cfe1189f57ccf4b466e5b.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/a49ac6f9fee10826e4323f952a1c1f44.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/7bfe02d2bc741c7ed09fe00b0c03ed02.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sent this last night but appears to have not yet been moderated, so I hope this isn’t going to be a double-post. If that will be the case then either can be deleted.

An update to the layout, with a few things added to the car park, but main addition is the large garden area in the layout center, which will overall encompass a single, private residence. The modelled environment is inspired off what you may find in areas like Torquay and Paignton in the Torbay region of Devon. The palm trees are a particularly defining characteristic, though the ones I specifically have may not be quite typical to those areas given the climate. I figured they still look nice enough, and I’m quite pleased with the work done overall.

Cheers.  😀

/media/tinymce_upload/033ca8939e37664998ccac317ff0fc7b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/155cbfcf4c8c81ffac8da61ba76b20e1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1bb43d5458e5ab60585ea14c474432d0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/caa1b4e6e22fe6d562ee9fdeade5a3f0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/21f56530a4604b61a5e329852eaa98d0.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/04d5012b20133e337b36973a6b6ad2b0.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/0f08ba8408893e4a8fcccd92f997dd34.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0d64b11e5f939db0ffc87c3f0cce9c61.jpg