Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

Been slowly building my layout here's a pic or/media/tinymce_upload/f5cacd85da5939f68af3ac2b0b1a0faa.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/9dc12f132ea708cbd052b669a841fe8f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/8b36e2aedac69fe7df1111f7b5409bed.jpg

• 1 month later...

Greetings all, figured I'd try to keep this thread going with a quick update on what I've got up to.

Have made small increments of progress over the past week and a bit. Been on another hiatus from the layout so there haven't been too many changes since last update. Fortunately, I have a fresh set of new ideas to keep me going up to and beyond Christmas. 

Main plan is to install my chosen backscene (purchased an ID backscene photo for a decent price that I think will look effective) and set up my lighting system, which i've putten off up to now due to being an absolute novice when it comes to electronics. Fortunately, online guides and help from my club should mean I now know what I'm doing to get it finally working, so I hope to get these two major things finished in the near future. Next major focus will be on wiring up the new fiddle yard and re-landscaping the edge of the layout where the backscene will be placed. 

Below are just a few quick images of the layout as of now. Again, not much that is new but hope to see some real progress in the coming weeks. Cheers.

Daniel

/media/tinymce_upload/9768072f1c238bfe4b8fbd72983989ac.jpg 

/media/tinymce_upload/fc4bbd8d4cf811eeef2ae4e4c1859ba9.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6acf78fa4791ae88091b128b41ecec52.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/ab359e13c0ad3a1b7dd3438e1398426a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/462d0902f1c1126918d60141fb8f46a6.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/1994499c12a94df077706ca5455a8907.jpg

Hi all very early stages of trying to make a layout undecided about the elevation tho I've tried a train and does go around with no problems obviously track needs supporting properly any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated 

Nick

My thoughts only, but I would turn the whole thing 180 degrees, have the viaduct line on the back wall all at high level and dropping to low level at the front. This puts your high country on the back and side walls.

I would also think about access as the board looks too wide to stretch across if placed against back and side walls, unless you put it on castors and can pull it out for working on. It is not clear from the pictures if it abutts both side walls hence limiting elbow room for moving the board for access.

Hi Nick. I agree with Rob about turning the layout round. But then you may need some safeguard to prevent trains from falling off the raised section of the track supported by the several piers, which would look much better if they were matching. Say all beige to match the baseboard. Or all black. Additionally, does your track wilt a bit under the weight of the loco ? If so, this should be corrected as it may cause stopping or derailments. A pier about every 9-12 inches should do it and rail joins should be supported to avoid straining the fishplates.  Alternatively, have you thought of a continuous pier, maybe 3 or 4 feet long constructed out of plasticard or similar ?  You could then add some period hoardings to the sides such as "Come to Sunny Glasgow by LMS"  😛

Anyway, good luck with the elevated sections which I very much favour to add interest to the layout.

Hi thanks for ur comments the board will be turned around thought I'd do the back end of the layout first I'm going to cut and use more boards to fully support the track and make it look like mountain sides and have another track on the level going around what will be a lake I'm hoping to be able to make a bit of a village and train yard area aswel 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello...

Well here is mine...

/media/tinymce_upload/b948ca70445f8354bbe769bdad175dc8.jpg

I did this Layout on the 19 January 2017  - if you want to see it in action then click here...

but I have done a few different layouts since this one!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/86fc3d8bde50e071cb99cef6d9e3df00.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/bce0dfaca4d7a156aa64202487eef0bc.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/462d0902f1c1126918d60141fb8f46a6.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/1994499c12a94df077706ca5455a8907.jpg

Hi all very early stages of trying to make a layout undecided about the elevation tho I've tried a train and does go around with no problems obviously track needs supporting properly any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated 

Nick

back to the drawing board train does go up the elevation but clearly struggles so decided to have the outer oval on one level and then branching off on the left to a elevated platform and the lower 2 ovals going under a bridge and branching off to a train yard on the left any other ideas or comments would be good still all new to me 

Nick

Hi all original plan not working too great train does go up the elevation but does struggle so decided to make the outer oval one level with a raised platform coming off the left side and the two inner ovals going under a bridge into a train yard on the left any thoughts on this or suggestions 

Nick/media/tinymce_upload/2a50f8fa323b7a7e6b2805108762fe34.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/f64b2ab2b7458d49317980a3a02277a0.jpg

Today I finished the main part of the churchyard, the graves are based loose6 on the ones in Bosham churchyard in West Sussex./media/tinymce_upload/383aaa63e7c9f35fcb0b99d3ea13e58c.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/b07b0629128dd031855825484fb5d702.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/dbc22910dee82409014a1b4e8a242dc3.jpg

Video files are not supported on this forum as 'user uploaded content'. Quite rightly so.....

Apple have introduced a new Apple image file format on their iPhones and iPads, that is also not supported. I believe, earlier IOS models are unaffected. Rob (RAF96) has posted a 'How To' somewhere on the forum regarding how to circumvent Apple's new file format. It is probably located in the 'Forum & Website Feedback' forum at the bottom of the forum home page. Which by the way, is where your post should have been posted. So it is actually an iPhone / iPad configuration issue rather than a Hornby forum issue, as others can use their Apple products fine on this forum for images.

If there is a problem it is of Apples making With their unique picture format.

The workaround is this...

Open a photo and send it to files on your phone using the square box with an up arrow icon. This refiled format will then load from the Hornby forum photo upload icon Browse facility rather than the library/camera roll link.