Great Goodbye A4's

Paul_Sterling

Regarding LTD EDITIONS, what are they now with production runs so low anyway. Something can be in the shop today and gone tomorrow and it may not be a LTD EDITION. Never to be seen again for a couple of weeks, when all of a sudden it's on fleby at 6x the

RRP. Then along comes Mr Mug and buys it from Mr wheeler dealer fleby moneymaker.

What people do with their own money is their exclusive concern.

Investing in this or another kind of limited edition is not a good idea in my opinion. Better buy a small lump of precious metal....There are no small bits to break off....

Also those

buying these sets will have to keep them unopened in their boxes or they will not qualify as "mint and boxed". What fun! Personally if I wanted the six locos of the last gathering I'd just rename and renumber existing models, plenty of them available second

hand and not a difficult job to perform. Just Google to find the bits you need. But I wouldn't blame Hornby for producing these kinds of sets. They must have done their homework and they are in business to do business. Lastly, just imagine how much trackwork,

accessories, electronics, etc you can buy with over £1000.

Hello members,

Regarding the Great Goodbye set. Has anyone else taken the trouble of looking on e-bay about sets of The Great Goodbye being re-sold at hugely inflated prices. I am really shocked that as this was supposedly a offer only offered to

members that surely Hornby can do something about this. True members who would have loved to have been able to buy this remarkable set wouldn't then sell on for a profit. On my last check there were at least 15 sets being sold. In my mind Hornby should do

something about this as they have details and records of all the orders from members and should be checking about these being re sold on. This was quite blantant as they were on site the very next day after being sold by Horndy over the weekend of the 31st

March.

How do other members feel about the actions of certain members making a quick buck?. I feel very cheated.

regards

Paul Allison

member 132513

I was visiting my loco model shop this am to get a few bits. They had the great goodbye set one left so I bought it rather rashly now I will have to find some one who wants the BR 3 and try to get some of the cost back!.

When I got home and opened up

the boxes I was very disappointed by the quality of the models. some of the blue A4 had transfers missing from one side and poor paint work. Very sloppily made for China. I hope the quality will improve when we get supplies of the new 2014 models due out sometime

in the future.

My Local shop said they had not opened the boxes and usually if it is faulty they would only sell it cheaply. I think Hornby only intend it to be viewed on one side. the transfer I am referring to is the small white transfer on the hole for the cod handle

on right hand side missing for Bittern and Mallard but there on Dom Of Canada. the BR A4 are ok.

I am going to report the issue to hornby and see what they say.

I am sorry I should have said the Transfer on the right hand side to show the direction to turn the handle that opens the smoke box door [Which looks like a cods mouth when open] [The crank handle was infamously known as the cods handle]. The Transfer

is on the lefthandside. I assume it should also be on the righthandside as well.

Hi Flyingfox

I've just had a very quick look at Power of the A4s and the transfer on the fireman's side doesn't always appear to be there. I must admit I didn't know you could operate the cods-mouth from the right hand side - all the photos

I've seen (and put in the memory cells, which is dangerous at my age - straight out again) show the left side being used.

• 7 years later...

As much as Hornby and suppliers want/need to make a profit, it doesn't help when speculating individuals snap-up potential "money-makers" and cash-in, in the short term they'll make a few £'s but the net result is Hornby will raise their base prices to match the amount being overpaid.

Just saying.

Got to ask.....

How come Paul's 7 year old post was edited yesterday????

Moderator’s Note:

@elloco - as a wild guess - I would say it was flagged when The Old Roads post generated a new page and as such the new forum system repeats the OP at the top of every page. This rollover probably counts as an Edit.

Rob

• 3 months later...

@Robert

Moderator Note:

1) Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

2) Sorry but buying or selling is not permitted on this Forum.