point decoders

Yelrow

Hi, have wired and tested 2 point decoders, via prog track, and set up. Now where do i wire to the track. Tried at elink, but trains dont run. Also, need to link both together. Can i simply use a chock block, john

Hello John,

Did you opt not to go for a 'DCC bus' ? Not a number 43 to Hounslow :-) but a pair of wires running below your baseboard, linked to the track outputs of your elink. 

When you say you tested your two point decoders, how did you do this ? Where did you connect them to test them? Did you manage to change points via Railmaster?

Ray

StIngr4y, hi RAY, no bus not allowed to drill holes in Table Tennis Table. I followed instructions for testing both individually by connecting to programme track..Both  appeared fine, set all 4 ports. I had to connect a point motor with BM one , but it was on RM list. When i click on my screen layout, points change. Have not yet fitted any motors. Then wired both decoders through chock block, and put them into track side of elink, with track wires, eg 2 sets of wires. Result, noi trains run. Removed decoder wires, trains then run. Over to you, john

one step at a time, with only the Hornby PAD connected to the Track terminals do the trains still stop? Assuming no, can you then control point motors from it?

When OK relocate to its final position and connect to track by soldering wires or "testing" using the Hornby track connector? Hard to say more without knowing your physical setup.

We'll then try to work out whats going wrong with the other PAD.

OK, evening all,   with hornby decoder connectedto track, trains run, and red /green arrows on schematic change points.  Next step, how do i number the points, or identify them. I can proceed to connect them  one by one, but need to identify to be able to test.   Tried connecting switch pilot to prog track, but again, trains will then not run. Does anybody esle use these, and why the problem, cheers, john

You need to be careful, the point red/green dots will change regardless of whether your decoder is working or not.

To number the points you need to go into the design layout screen, right click on a red/green dot next to the respective point  (drag them over from the left elements if not done so already) and select the Decoder port number, decoder Type, and startup position. Save and return to the main railmaster screen to test.

I assume you have already read up on programming the port numbers?

I'm so trying to avoid saying read the manual but it will really help you at this stage :-)

Personally, I would forget the switch pilot until you have cracked how to fully programme the Hornby PAD's as that's a whole different story ;-)

Hi John

I have the Switchpilot and it,as well as my trains worked perfectly when the power was taken from the track.  I don't actually have it connected in at present, so I cannot check anything else.  Are you using a 4amp Power Supply?

@john

I'm having trouble keeping up with which points post is your latest one as you have what seems to be the same problem popping up all over the forum - no doubt due to the grey box syndrome - now apparently fixed.

After summarising your various threads by date time group it seems you have sorted the Hornby Acc Decoder and just need to fettle your SwitchPilot.

As I am fully Hornby kit I can't help you there, but the subject has been covered in great detail on the (old) forum somewhere.

Rob

RAF96, hi, you are right, grey box problem meant posting where you could. I am not fully sorted on hornby, but know the way ahead. Just a question of testing as i go. Hornby decoders are  not available, hence switch pilot, and i will wander through old forum, when i have a few days spare. Problem with new forum is does not show new postings to  existing thread, only original  one. Its going to drive people nuts, and mean a lot of looking to find whats going on. I have listed it for customer care, but the long suit of some of the members, is not tolerance, me included, and it needs sorting. thanks, john

Archived