R8247 ports

Jailor

Hi to all. Track built now, 7 point motors arrived and R8247 decoder on order. Some of you will remember I am very new to this great hobbie and now have a few more questions.

Firstly is Anyone in the know as to when this unit will be in stock? On the web I am seeing dates possibly ( hate possibly) October but have been told September by the company I have ordered from.

Now I must appoligise to you old hands as I am sure you are sick of this question, but to a newbie it is a bit confusing. I am reading on various forums that you can only wire up two point motors to each port. But I am also finding posts that say you can wire four per port giving a total of sixteen motors on one decoder. Obviously I do not want to damage anything so would appreciate your wise words. 

If you can only wire two motors to a port why does each port have four addressees hence my confusion.

Many thanks as always for any advise.

Ron.

R

Ron. Each decoder has 4 outputs or ports. You program each port to have one address and they are addressed in a group like 1,2,3,4 or 5,6,7,8 etc. if you are using Select, they can only start from 61,62,63,64 etc. 

each port is capable of firing 2 points, but only if you want both to fire together all of the time like on a crossover from one track to the next. So mostly you will only have one point per port. 

There are also many alternative Decoders available and info on heaps of them in the forums. Do a search on ADS8 and Kato for a start. Both of these are easier to program than the 8247 and the ADS8 has 8 ports. 

Until recently, I used R8247 decoders, and several I bought at my local Modelzone store. It was sad when Modelzone went into liquidation last year. However, last week, I was in a W.H.Smith store, when I came across a corner set up as a Modelzone. A much smaller scale than the store which had closed a few months ago, only some 200 yards away, but there was a reasonable display of Hornby locos, rolling stock and track. There were also TWO R8247 accessory decoders on display at £39.99 each !!!

If anyone in the north east of England is interested, this Modelzone was in the W.H.Smith store at the Gateshead Metro Centre.

Ray

I have taken a look at other decoders as suggested but although they say that they are easy I do like the look of Hornby R8247. I am using elink and it looks straight toward to hook up to this, the others look like a circuit board and a little scarry to the Michael Crawford of DIY. 

Does anyone have any conformation of dates for the Hornby decoder being available?

Regards to all,

Ron.

Jailor, hi, have R8247, but as they are not currently available, also , bought an ASD8. This controls 8 points, and works well.. I also have elink. Both are simple to understand, with good instructions. You are bound to extend your circuit, so you could start with ASD8, to get an understanding, and when your back order arrives, you will be up to speed , as no  firm date appears at this time, john

I too went out and got an ADS8 it has taken Two and a Half WEEKS to find out how to conect it to my new DCC system.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/dcc_concepts/ads%20instruction.pdf

however nether explain what ALL the terminals are used for.

for thoes like me who are new, I hope this will save you many hours Surfing.

also if anyone can get a reply from dcc_concepts have a pint on me.

Some clarification on accessory decoders general, then some specifics on what has been posted above:

Accessory decoders come in 2 types. First is the learn switch/throw point/run variety. As implied, to program, all you do is put in learn mode, throw the point you want it to control, switch back to run and it's done. This usually has to be done for each port on the decoder.  For me, this is the simpler variety, and the ADS8 is one of these. 

The second variety requires specific programming, usually on the programming track. You usually enter a "group" address and all ports are numbered sequentially from that address. The group address can be any number n and the points will then be numbered sequentially starting at 4n + 1. So if n=0, your points are numbered 1,2,3,4. If n=15, they are 61,62,63,64. The 8247 is one of these. For me, this is less simple, and some such types make it even more complex, starting with Switchpilot. 

Back on the ADS8, anyone having trouble understanding wiring or operating, just download the full manual from the DCC Concepts site. It is comprehensive and easy to read IMHO. Just remember that the whole family of these decoders is the same, except for the wacking great capacitors on the S variety to provide the current pulse to throw a solenoid. You may have to start from the AD1/AD4 to find the manual. 

Francis, can I have my pints at one each night and I'll be in the pub every night this week. I can prove Richard answered me as I have in the past posted his replies in the forums concerning the AD decoders. Do a search on Richard and you may find a number of them. Yes, he is a little slow at times but he is pretty much a one man band, so not surprising. 

Hi after just being told my back order for Hornby decoder is now "possibly" end of October I have taken your sound advice and ordered the ADS8.

Last question on this subject, as the Hornby decoder can have two points to each port can I also do the same with the ADS8 or can you only put one to each. Only asking as I have now spent a vast amount of money setting up and things are getting tight for a while. (Please do not tell my wife)

I just copy the link from the internet address bar using ctr+c (copy), then, when you insert it using ctrl+v (paste) my browser (IE) comes up with a pop up window. I paste the link in that window, then click the insert button on that window.

I have a feeling though that this might be different depending on what browser you use. 

Archived