Cost to make DCC ready into DCC fitted

AndyHead78

I am very interested in getting the above mentioned 2-Bil, and both the ready and fitted versions are available in the 'Last Chance To Buy' area of the online shop. Fitted is reduced by £42 to £99.99, whereas Ready is down by £64 to £59.99. Is a £40 difference worth getting the ready version?

On the face of it DCC ready looks a good option on price, however don't just go on price, you will have the hastle of undoing the loco which might result in damage. If you are going on price then DCC fitted will be the better option.

Why the DCC Fitted example?  Well you don't have to get the thing open to put the decoder in, the decoder will have been fitted using proper anti-static handling equipment the home enthusiasts often don't have but which is essential when fitting decoders to stop the microprocessor "chips" being damaged by static electricity, then there's the price. To send the loco away to be done would cost you say £7 - £10 by post, fitting of a decoder by a professional another £10, then there's the return postage and packing another £7- £10, then there's the cost of a decoder say £18, So a cost to have a DCC ready loco fitted with a decoder of £48 tops, the DCC fitted example would be £8 cheaper in this case if you are going just on price and you don't have the hastle of fitting a decoder to it.   

If you are a beginner then DCC fitted is a nice option but as noted above you are probably paying over the odds for a decoder.  Not always the case, I recently bought a B*mann 105 DMU with DCC fitted as it needed two decoders and the premium as a result was not that great.  If you are more experienced then you probably have a preferred brand of decoder so you would go for DCC ready..

If you are a beginner - news flash - not all decoders are the same in terms of functions, configuration options and power, but they are all interoperable.  In particular if you are a sound enthusiast there's no point buying DCC fitted as you will be wasting your money on a non-sound decoder.

@poliss - yes fitting a decoder into a DCC ready loco is quite easy - HOWEVER the simple act of getting the body of the loco off can be a bit of a trial, particularly if the model has lots of fine delicate detailing.  The swear box fills up quite quickly!  :-)

I bought mine DCC ready and fitted the decoder myself. Yes, getting the body on and off this unit is a task to be done with care. 

And unless you are going sound, only a basic decoder is needed as all it needs to do is run the motor, no other fancy bits. 

And Graskie, make sure you use a certified brand of anti-static cake and not bun. Graskie will remember what I mean by this but, for others, it's the end of the bun that is sticky!

Fitting a decoder is simple enough on today's locos just find the first pin marked on the socket and decoder plug and simply plug in it, a 3 year old can do it. It's getting the body off that can be tricky at times on modern locos. Most people don't realise that decoders have static sensitive electronic components on the circuit boards that can be damaged by static electricity.  You will find the decoder comes in an anti-static bag, there's a hint there.  The static electricity damage may not show now but may show as odd malfunctions which will gradually get worse in the future as a damaged component gives out or you could kill the decoder stone dead stragiht away.  Use of an anti-static wrist strap is a must when fitting a decoder properly.

Archived