What is a High Quality Headset Microphone

RDS

I guess this may be difficult to answer without advertising but I would like to purchase a High Quality Headset Microphone for use with voice recognition, as recommended by Hornby RailMaster Support in the latest instruction manual.

Do HRMS have a recommended model or has anyone found a device that works well.

I would like it to be wireless.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a Geoteck EX05 Wireless Multi Format Headset from Amazon for £33.37. I couldn't find one which was a microphone only, without the headphones..

Something for the Desirable Features ... have Railmaster talk back to you through the headphones!!! :-)

Ray

When buying a headset you should get one with at least one earpiece/headphone as RailMaster feeds back sounds to you to let you know if a voice command was understood or not.  It will also tell you if you have set an incorrect setting.

That way you don't have to refer to your monitor and can spend all your time running trains, switching points ... and looking at your layout.

Ray

No need to add it then, following the response from HRMS.  

Good job you ordered one with Headphones and they won't just be there to keep your ears warm.  

Maybe there is a clue in the HRMS reply that they use ones with just one earpiece?

However, I've just thought of this...

At the moment there is a program command to display a message of your choice on the screen for a set numbers of seconds. Maybe a command to speak a message to you through the headphones.....

I hope it uses moderate language when telling you that you have an incorrect setting!!

Ray

Hi Guys

I have a Logitech wireless headset H600. It seems to work really well. However, it is important to follow the RM Manual instructions on voice control. The system must be trained to recognise your voice.

Even with minimal training I found the system works quite well, but miss-hears some words. It's great to be able to walk around the layout and control it without having to sit at the computer.

Well done RM.

Hi RDS,

Yes, the H600 is blue tooth. Logitec claim it has a range of 30 feet or 10 meters. That's more than enough for my layout. I guess it would be ok in any reasonably sized room. As I've said, the important thing is the voice training to get the most out of the system. I haven't completed the training as yet, but I can control the layout with only a few errors. This will improve with more training. Hope this helps.

Norm

Thanks Norm.  The H600 looks favourite at the moment although I would have actually prefered one with just one earpiece rather than a full head set.  So far, I have just been using a very cheap desk microphone and even with that, the results are very good.  The only word the Loco's consistently do not understand is stop, which is a bit unfortunate!

Archived