Well, here I go!

Graskie

I agree we should be notified when a latest 1.56 version is available. We will all know automatically when 1.57 is available.

If they don't want to cause more problems by everyone downloading (which it shouldn't) then at least email the ones who have contacted you by HRMS through RM program. I appreciate time is another factor here.

Proper software config control would see any minor changes come out as v1.56.1, then .2, etc until next significant change as v1.57, .58, etc until a really big change led to v2.0.

All these could be done by auto update.

Then we wouldn't have conflicting versions around at the same v number.

How did you get 1.56? Is your RM pc a laptop which you can move to an Internet location in the house? If so, do this, then run the link to the setup file.

My RM is also in the loft and I use a device which connects the pc to the router via the mains. I don't know if it would work in France, but it may be worth investigating.

Ray

Router via the mains in france YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS, ring mains are illegal, 3 phase, 2 phase and single phase to contend with. Wire colours, the wife picks a colour that suits, 3 different colour cables put into plastic sleeve.  Whole power supply on 1 fuse. Wall taken up with lightning conductors, power cut for the day without warning. come on.   This is rural france fast line internet non existent.. What i dont want to do, is have connection problems again. Hornby support, had to install 1.56. I would be far happier, if they installed updates, john

PJ. like you, am not a well person  upstairs trips have to be undertaken as knees allow. Laptop, kept upstairs with layout, no wifi, and would need 60 metre cable to get it, Walls 2 ft thick, no chance of booster. How do you know when an update is coming. Do they fly a flag. If i could say at 14.00 each day, for example.  How many updates have i missed.  Surely its not rocket science for hornby to give notice, or auto update my machine, at a predetermined time. john

There have been at least 3, maybe more. If I remember rightly the link is www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe 

All you have to do is copy and paste this link into the address bar of your browser which will currently say www.hornby.com/forum and more. Replace all of it with the link and press Enter. When asked, say you wish to run it and follow the prompts. It will not interfere with what has been done for you previously by Hornby taking over your machine. 

Archived