Slow running problems with DoG TTS

RobOO

Hi,

I went to the shop to pick up mine today and unfortunately when it was tested it wont run smoothly at very slow speed. It juders really excessively. Apparently the others they had were like this too. I did ask if it needed running in but it would appear thats not the issue.

I believe they will be speaking to Hornby about this. In the meantime they are going to run it in tommorow and see if it makes a difference.

Mildly dissapointed as it looks really good and the sound seems ok, well very good for the price.

Just wondered if anyone else was seeing the same behaviour in theirs at slow speed?

The guys in the shop tried changing the CV settings but that didn't work either. The shop used a Bachmann Dynamis, I have Hornby Elite, but I didn't take the train as they were pretty reluctuant to sell it to me the way it was. As I said they had a few and they were all like it apparently although I didn't see the others.

I had an issue with mine being jerky at slow speeds. I changed CV settings for CV 151 from the default 50 to be 255 and CV 152 from default 50 to be 1. Along with running the loco in it does seem to have improved. I'm going to try setting the CVs back to the default and seeing how it performs. 

I havent got a DoG but my TTS Peppercorn Tornado arrived a few days ago and my comment so far is lovely model pity about the sound and control.

The chuffing is out of sync with the pistons and suffers a step change in the chuff rate at about half speed, it does not however chuff in reverse. If started very gradually the wheels index with a buzz at each jerk and the same happens when slowing to a stop. I have reset the decoder but its still the same, I have also tried all three speed step settings, 126 steps fast operation of the controller seems to mask the step change in the chuff rate but rather a crude driving method. 

As currently presented I would not recommed TTS and in the fullness of time I wil probably have the sound refitted. 

Yes I was not clear. I looked in the controller manual at the speed steps which stats "

Speed Steps

Speed steps are incremental steps the loco takes to go from 0 to top speed. There is three speed steps: 14, 28 and 128. The higher the speed steps setting, the higher the number of different speeds on which the loco can operate. When you enter a new loco address (an address that has not been stored in the Cab’s memory), Prodigy Wireless will set 28 speed steps as the default setting for that address. In order to operate your loco properly, you may need to change the speed steps setting to match the decoder’s speed steps. To select other speed steps settings, press SPD STEP repeatedly until you see your desired speed steps setting. Then press ENTER. The selected speed steps setting will apply only to that address.

Note Use of the speed step button will not alter the speed step originally programmed into the decoder. It only matches the throttle to the decoder."

Thereis no mention of internal adjustment. I reiteriate, all of my other locos, using this this controller, regardless of size, type or make run very smoothly at slow speed and where fitted properly operating sound as indeed they did using an elite before I passed it on to a grandson. I may try a standard decoder to make a comparison of slow speed running to see if its the TTS decoder. 

You may also like to try amending CV150 to check out both speed regimes. Value 0 invokes regime 1 and value 1 gets you regime 2. Some fine tuning is also available via CVs 151,152, etc. Its all in the manual.

I had this problem. Very jerky running at starting and low speeds. Top speed not very high either. Changed cv150 to a value of 1 to give the alternative motor control setting. I ran the loco in first for about 15 mins on a circle of track, but this didn't cure it until I changed the cv 150 setting to 1. It now crawls smoothly and also has a higher top speed. I might even consider slowing it down a bit. My controller is a standard Dynamis. I am impressed with the loco now.

Hi RAF

I finally got round to trying out your suggestion but I could not achieve an inproovment the running and the sound were just as poor. I chatted to the supplier and they agreed that I should return it for credit.

Some people are happy with their TTS and on the basis they would not, I am sure, put up with poor quality loco performance I have concluded that there is somthing wrong with the TTS system as currently supplied, as it simply does not work consistently from loco to loco for whatever reason. 

Howhoward, hi , i have the P2 cock o the north, fully detailed with same sound system, TTS. It is exemplary, as is the loco. I just think you have been unlucky. Loco runs well, and is speeding up as running in . May be lessons were learned. john

• 2 weeks later...

Archived