coach lights

John

If you want to control the carriage lights they need to be hooked up to either the lights function of the decoder in the loco or the F18 feed for TTS or to a separate carriage decoder, probably one per carriage to avoid having to wire from one to the next to the next, etc.

RAF, thanks, i think, do you mean to say otherwise they are permanently on. Its not that i particularly mind, but did not want to burn out the bulbs.. That all seems a bit drastic, and beyond me, cos i change the locos pulling them, and also run them on DC. In my well known ignorance, i assumed that the lights could be controlled by RM. john

Back in August, I was given, as a birthday present, three coach lighting units, which are each powered by a "hearing-aid" type battery. The units have a motion sensor, which means they only come on when the train starts to move, and they go out after the train has been stopped for a few minutes. I don't know how long the batteries will last - it depends on how many journeys the train makes - but they are still going strong right now.

Ray

Hi Ray

That sounds a good solution and much more economical that having to have a decoder in each carriage for DCC.  I also think it would be an ideal solution for John who operates DC & DCC, as long as the supply from the wheels was disconnected first.

Sorry, but it really doesn't sound like a particularly economic or fully effective idea. If the lights go off after a few minutes when stationary, what if you don't want them to? And it would seem a bit strange to only have them light up after and not before a train moves off. Also, would they still come on in daylight?

Actually the best and most versatile lightable train I have is the DCC Midland Pullman. There are separate functions for coach, table, directional and cab lights. When I was originally looking for one they were going for about £400. I eventually bought one on that auction site for £450, brand new, but fitted at both ends with experimental sound which I am very happy with. I noticed the other day that someone has a Buy it Now basic version for £600!!!! 

Archived