Loco Detection availability - Let's start a sweep

RDS

At first I was extremely interested in LD, and I was prepared to dig deep and equip my whole layout with it. I am fast losing interest now and think if Hornby say 2017 then it could just as easily be 2018 ...

I recon it would have been best if Hornby had kept the development of LD a secret until it was actually ready for release.......

Hi Pete172

I am with you all the way. I would have purchased everything in one go at the start. Now I have concerns and they are not just when LD is comming.

I am sure initially Hornby thought they were doing their best and creating interest, comments on the forum show this, or did on the early days, but now there is a lot of negative vibes about it.

This latest fiasco regarding when LD is coming and not receiving a reply one way or the other is just digging them a bigger hole. First they say it is coming, then coming soon. Now we have two departments in one company cannot make there mind up and cannot be open and honest and let us know. Let us not forget they generated the interest they should come forward and clarify the sitation once and form all. Being realistic in their reply.

They are not doing themselves any favours. You can have the best item in the world, everyone things they need and want it but there comes a time, as time goes on, we eventually say, is there something else or even worse we say to ourselves... I have managed the last couple of years without it, even though I thought I really had to have it, if I have gone this length of time without it, do I really need it?

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recon it would have been best if Hornby had kept the development of LD a secret until it was actually ready for release....... 

I reckon it would have been best if Hornby released some sort of detection hardware and software at least 15 years ago! LOL

Around the year 2000, 15 years ago...

Windows operating systems were Windows 98 and Windows 2000!!!

Pre Windows XP which was around 2002 if my memory serves me.

To launch a loco detection system 15 years ago, with Windows operating systems then, would first be a nightmare and second not be capable to do what can be done today.

JMRI began in 1997.

I know of at least 1 company that has had interfaces between command stations and PCs since 1996. Hornby released RM in late 2010.

Just exactly what sort of computer and OS do you imagine is required to do the hoplessly simple chore of automating a bunch of trains?

You speak about this as though it's some sort of NASA task - are you kidding? The old 286s running DOS would have run 1000 trains without even breaking a sweat!

@hosh

Bring the conversation back towards topic, did you decide which system was for you, was the the very flexible, very adaptable, very clever, easy to understand, easy to install, coming sometime, Loco Detection or are you installing the readily available BD on your layout? Or are you not bothering with either?

Suggested dates for LD coming are welcome...

• 3 months later...

On the basis that it is almost 500 days since the earliest guess, I wondered if it was time to re-publish the table.

Please DO NOT use the 'quote button' for this post, even if Adam will reformat the table for me.

/media/tinymce_upload/aa9f88ef8f34758030fb037fd39cbbba.jpg

You may notice I dropped out in September last year.

The carrot has withered. It is beyond a joke I think.

Winning the lottery might have a better chance than this sweep (Sorry RDS)

As WTD once said (he will love this) it will come when it comes.

If it comes!

Unfortunately with Hornby's financial woes I can't see then releasing LD in 2016 or 2017 or now possibly ever :-(

The only way I can see LD arriving is if it is taken over and sold by a 3rd party, say HRMS themselves

• 1 month later...

As the originator of this 'sweep' and as my own guess placed in October 2014, expired 4 days ago, it is with regret I need to enter a new guess.  7th May 2017.  The table will be re-published in the next few weeks.

I guess that we're all just gonna keep guessing...

Now, there's a CERTAINTY!!!

Me thinks I should add another date because I just feel like it and the table is due, apparently, for an update...

Here goes.. you ready? Right... this is it... definitely one of the best guesses around... you still waiting?

OK... it'll be 2017 and the month will be May and the day will be the 18th...

... and it'll be around Tea Time... about 4 o'clock!!! 😉

@Hosh...............thought you had us fooled there did you, Hosh, but we all know that 2017 is not a leap year?.......I'm sure Hornby's LD will be released soon........... patience is a virtue so SWMBO tells me... 🤔.. HB