stopping dcc locos.

Yelrow

Hi John,

Yes there are two...

CV3 = acceleration rate

CV4 = deceleration rate

Have a look to see what they are set to in your locos. Reducing CV4 for example, will do what you want i.e. make your loco stop more quickly. You need to experiment to adjust them to your liking.

Good morning RDS - you just beat me to it.

Ray

Gentleman, thanks, as usual, it may be that RDS is right, certainly, its more realistic. The cock o the north, is my newest one, and it takes a fair time to stop. I was comparing it with the A4 which is almost instant.Logically, it should take more time. Perhaps i should look at it the other way round, and increase the A4.. The diesel in the majestic set, stops instantly. Its only noticeable, when you run 3, stop 3, and find the CoN, still slowing down. Perhaps someone with the DoG, would like to chip in. When you increase the speed , cv3, for example, is there a point past which you should not go, or is there a maximum speed in the decoder. I ask, because, again the CoN, is not as quick as the A4, or the diesel. I know it is still running in, but i read somewhere that it was originally built for pulling power, not speed. johnl

Good morning Ray

Sorry about that. Fortunately we said the same thing with a bit more detail in your reply.

Now that this forum has improved I am finding it more addictive!

I have some jobs I want to get on with but I keep on having a look back on here and an hour later, I am still looking!

Dave

Gentleman, thanks, as usual, it may be that RDS is right, certainly, its more realistic. The cock o the north, is my newest one, and it takes a fair time to stop. I was comparing it with the A4 which is almost instant.Logically, it should take more time. Perhaps i should look at it the other way round, and increase the A4.. The diesel in the majestic set, stops instantly. Its only noticeable, when you run 3, stop 3, and find the CoN, still slowing down. Perhaps someone with the DoG, would like to chip in. When you increase the speed , cv3, for example, is there a point past which you should not go, or is there a maximum speed in the decoder. I ask, because, again the CoN, is not as quick as the A4, or the diesel. I know it is still running in, but i read somewhere that it was originally built for pulling power, not speed. johnl

Hello John,

If you want to find out more about these CV's, try this:-

http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-9.2.2_decoder_cvs_2012.07.pdf

If you look at page 3, you will see that it is much more complicated than has been mentioned on this thread so far.

We'll have to get you into writing programs. With these, you can get extremely realistic performances and they can be tailored for the loco, irrespective of the CV settings.

Ray

John

With TTS locos for stuff to work properly the accell and decell CVs (3&4) are set to a default of 15 which is why your CotN saunters to a stop, but the A4 CVs is/are probably set to 0 so tend to speed up quickly and stop using the handbrake.

Rob

Hi ROB, i like to think it saunters to a stop. i play a lot of chess, and you can have one where all the pieces saunter and wiggle into positions. Why are they set differently, is it a poorer build quality on tts. john

No idea of the reason behind it John, just that the manual says that so it must be so.

A question for HCC to answer.

I had an amusing chess game called combat-chess where the behaviour of the pieces was how can I put it - 'different'; but it was so buggy and kept crashing my pc that the CD got flying lessons.

John

With TTS locos for stuff to work properly the accell and decell CVs (3&4) are set to a default of 15 which is why your CotN saunters to a stop, but the A4 CVs is/are probably set to 0 so tend to speed up quickly and stop using the handbrake.

Rob

I knew that A4's were fast, but Handbrake turns!!!

I knew that A4's were fast, but Handbrake turns!!!

Handbrake stops as in old Land-Rover with a handbrake on the prop shaft - a tad positive.

@john re CVs 3&4 - I found this quote: CV3 and CV4: Acceleration and Deceleration - Any value less than the default of “15” is likely to cause steam exhaust and deceleration (coasting) sound playback to operate incorrectly.

Archived