DCC turntable wiring

Yelrow

hi,, does anyone know how to fit/wire a decoder into a turntable. I have fitted my hornby one to DC, thats fine, but needed to buy one that sunk in layout for dcc. It is a Frateschi, 4500, but i think thats irrelevant for wiring purposes. Happy with turntable wiring, just need a little help with the decoder bit. what goes where, and how i programme. ta ever so . john

You are not supposed to ask questions like that, as i have no idea, as to the answer, have difficulty, understanding the question. It has 18 tracks, and 2 garages, and is all very flash, but i am clueless about decoder bit. It is DCC compatible, if that helps. How would i find out about the neutrons, my Brazilian, aint up to much. john

On some turntables the wiring is split so that the polarity changes after it turns 90 degrees, on others it doesn't.

It's important to know what type you have. It's no wonder your Brazillian isn't up to much. They speak Portugese there. :-)

You are not supposed to ask questions like that, as i have no idea, as to the answer, have difficulty, understanding the question. It has 18 tracks, and 2 garages, and is all very flash, but i am clueless about decoder bit. It is DCC compatible, if that helps. How would i find out about the neutrons, my Brazilian, aint up to much. john

I'm afraid you've bought the wrong thing if it has two garages John. Send it back and get one with loco sheds.

Idlemarvel, thanks, another good spot. I have the hornby one, but it only has 8 tracks, supplied with it, and is surface fixed. The frateschi, has 18 tracks, and fits into a prepared hole, so, best of both worlds, once i have worked out decoder wiring. Looks to be a long haul. john

I sank an old Hornby turntable into a prepared hole in my previous layout (DC), so that it was flush in level with adjoining track. In addition, I planked it over, because the well was too shallow and looked unrealistic. That hid the well side cogs at the same time. It looked so much better than having ramped track leading up to it. It was motorised and operated by a dedicated DC controller, which was also much better with its variable speed rather than pressing a button which gave you no speed control or variation in acceleration/deceleration. I've still got it but have not incorporated it into what will hopefully be the shed yard on my current DCC layout, once I get round to laying that area, that is. If necessary I could show a picture of the turntable to give a better idea.

I don't think I ever saw a UK turntable in real life with as many as 18 tracks. In roundhouses, for instance, I believe they generally had 16. Worth looking at the NRM and Barrow Hill sites perhaps.

Graskie,high, i have also not seen a big turntable in uk, no doubt someone will put us right, but in the states, and Brazil, from where this eminates, they are fairly common. My hornby one only has 8. The Sheds/garages have 9 entrances, and i thought it would look good to park locos on/off display. These are made in Germany. The difference with me, and modellers, is that i have no interest in authenticity. Am not a purist, or at all loyal to brands. If i like it, and the price is good, i buy it. Just bought my first new n gauge loco for 20 years, as dapol, had £76 reduction from £126, to £50. Just got my TT gauge running after 25 years, with Tillig track, from germany. Living here in relative isolation, means scouring, ebay, Leboncoin, a french local sales site, and that, coupled with postage costs, defines my destiny, in model trains. As for landscapes ,and scenery, hate it, change layouts, at least one a week. john

I can speak double Dutch but that doesn't make me two Dutchmen. I was just pointing out that locos live in sheds. If the French can't cope with it that's their problem. What's the French for shed by the way?

Strangely enough (coming from a RAF bod) its hangar.

Poliss Hi, thanks. have to look into reverse loop model, means nothing to me, at the moment. I wanted this ome, as 11 inch diameter, approx, with 9 1/2 inch hole, small enough to fit into layout john

To expand on the point poliss made, you will need a reverse loop module (RLM) if you want to have power to the turntable all the time (for playing sound for example) and you need to rotate the turntable more than 180 degrees otherwise you will get a short due the rail polarities being reversed. The Hornby RLM works for this purpose if you have one. If you don't need to rotate more than 180 degrees or you don't have sound locos you can get away without one. The brian lambert site explains this well (as always).

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC%202.html#Turntables

• 3 months later...

Archived