Ver 1.58

gilbo2

...I'd be checking the comm port to make sure it didn't get changed from the previous version.

Then if still a problem, I'd be emailing HRMS before thinking about reinstalling.

You have a point with the COM port Fishy.

My 'new improved' router is unable to lock on an IP address to a particular pc or tablet, so I have to check each time before using any bit of kit or software that needs to know this.

No doubt some pcs may adopt this attitude with COM ports.

Hi RAF96... the COM port is never affected by a PC having or not having a fixed IP address from your router or even a server if you had one. So no worries there. However, I am curious to the make and model of your new router which you say is 'improved' on the last one. Curious because virtually all new routers offer a facility to dole out fixed IP's to any piece of hardware that you can allocate an IP to. If you list the info here I will check that out for you and let you know how to do it... if you can. I don't doubt what you say for a moment btw... I am just rather puzzled why any new router does not have this facility when security is paramount these days.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.58 ??? I've only just downloaded 1.57 !

What does 1.58 do that 1.57 didn't ?

Hi ho

Here's another twist chaps

Switched on earlier, system 1.57 mode, screen says update 1.58 available, so go for download,

situation now is elite not recognised, I have tried several times to reboot, got a message driver missing,

quote 'CDC RS232 emulation demo'

any ideas would be useful.thanks

Forgot to reply to this one last night - apologies for that... but here goes.

The error you have is for a missing driver. There is usually no need to reinstall the software at all. That is done when the following methods fail:

1. Go to your Control Panel and look for the Elite in the list under Device Manager on Ports where it will usually just be listed as USB Serial Port (COM#) where the # is your port number. It MAY be different under other versions of Windows but you'll get the idea. If the port number matches that in RM and an exclamation mark is noted on the small icon for the object then simply right click and update the driver. It will carry out a search locally and externally on the net for it and install accordingly... usually only from the PC or laptop though as the driver is not available on its own on the net as far as I know.

2. If that doesn't work then do as requested in 1 above to find the object and then delete it. Restart Windows with the eLink or Elite switched on AND connected to the PC or laptop. The driver should be found automatically when Windows loads and you then start RM. Give Windows time to settle before running RM as bloatware or other slow starting software may be on your system and give you a slightly slower startup. Check the COM ports match if there is still an issue. If they do and you still have no driver it is usually better to reinstall.

Hope that helps...

Hi RAF96... the COM port is never affected by a PC having or not having a fixed IP address from your router or even a server if you had one. So no worries there. However, I am curious to the make and model of your new router which you say is 'improved' on the last one. Curious because virtually all new routers offer a facility to dole out fixed IP's to any piece of hardware that you can allocate an IP to. If you list the info here I will check that out for you and let you know how to do it... if you can. I don't doubt what you say for a moment btw... I am just rather puzzled why any new router does not have this facility when security is paramount these days.

AC

My router is a Cyta Home Gateway ZXDSL 93VII by ZTE Corpn.

I needed its WPS one-button facility to link in my wireless powerline adapter kit and Cyta gave me this modem/router in exchange.

I regret it now as the old one would allow me to 'always use this address' for a pc.

The new one won't do this, also confirmed by Cyta support desk. I have since found that I can do the WPS linking manually so the old one would have been OK.

Ho-hum, Rob

AC, yours 2 above is the long version of what I said, so we are agreed - missing driver, go to Device Manager and update it. One thing you missed is that RM now has its own driver for use on systems where your system has problems with the Windows driver. And the new driver seems to work as we no longer have people reporting that problem.

AC, yours 2 above is the long version of what I said, so we are agreed - missing driver, go to Device Manager and update it. One thing you missed is that RM now has its own driver for use on systems where your system has problems with the Windows driver. And the new driver seems to work as we no longer have people reporting that problem.

I think you have maybe assumed I meant the Windows driver Fishy but I assure you, as I don't actually mention it, that I meant the RM driver. That's why I say Windows won't pick it up on the net with an automatic search but if it were searching for the Windows one it would. :-) No probs though coz now it has been pointed out and explained it will be easier for folk to follow. I'm not sure what you mean by "where your system has problems with the Windows driver" unless you mean the original postee as mine is fine I assure you. :-) Never mind... it matters not... :-)

I attempted to offer extended support from your post Fishy which was fine coz sometimes one solution may not always work. It is a good thing that some info is repeated and added to because some readers don't know the other options that can be attempted... no harm done anyway.

Downloaded 1.58 and it seems to have messed up trying to revise my layout plan. When I superimpose tracks crossing others underneath, all seems OK on the plan, but when I save a new plan, it reverts to the same old one and I get loose bits all over the place, some of them stacked very high on top of many others, which were not placed by me. I'll have another go, but can anyone else check this out on their system and report back?

In reply to part of my own dilemma, I actually read the latest instructions on this. I was trying to drag bits into the rubbish bin, which seemed quite logical and sensible to me. But, of course, the rubbish bin is only a touch screen icon and, not having that sort of screen, I've now tidied things up correctly by just ignoring that icon. I think I might upgrade to RM Pro in view of the fact that it provides more extensive bits such as slips, plus 45 degree stuff as well, in addition to its other new features.

No wonder nobody responded to me. They probably just thought I was mad, which is a reasonable deduction, I suppose.

Hi Hawksdown - sounds as though you have a corrupted dowload. Have you the Powerpos download link address to get the download again? I'll try to find it for you and re-post here.

Found it quicker than I anticipated - paste this into your browser to get the update again

http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe

R-

Thanks for the adise.

Fortunately a Wiindowsadvice fixed it ,sent driver as an update and advised com port change for the settings

All running fine now

Hawksdown

Thanks for the adise.

Fortunately a Wiindowsadvice fixed it ,sent driver as an update and advised com port change for the settings

All running fine now

Hawksdown

I'm sure I understand how you fixed it, did you manually update the elite driver?

Downloaded 1.58 and it seems to have messed up trying to revise my layout plan. When I superimpose tracks crossing others underneath, all seems OK on the plan, but when I save a new plan, it reverts to the same old one and I get loose bits all over the place, some of them stacked very high on top of many others, which were not placed by me. I'll have another go, but can anyone else check this out on their system and report back?

In reply to part of my own dilemma, I actually read the latest instructions on this. I was trying to drag bits into the rubbish bin, which seemed quite logical and sensible to me. But, of course, the rubbish bin is only a touch screen icon and, not having that sort of screen, I've now tidied things up correctly by just ignoring that icon. I think I might upgrade to RM Pro in view of the fact that it provides more extensive bits such as slips, plus 45 degree stuff as well, in addition to its other new features.

No wonder nobody responded to me. They probably just thought I was mad, which is a reasonable deduction, I suppose.

Talking to yourself again Graskie? Despite the madness you seem to have given yourself some good advice and I'm assuming you now know how to change and save your layout? Without having surplus track bits spread around?

Well, nobody else would talk to me, Fishy. Yes, sorted, although I do in fact have a few loose bits of track lying around on their own on my real layout. Should I bin them as well?

Yep... but make sure it is a recycling bin... that way you can always retrieve them later if you decide you need them after all... ;-)

Does madness spread from person to person? :-) Just asking....

Good point, Fishy. I think you're on the right track there. You're a diamond! You only make the occasional slip, don't you? I'm afraid I just rail over certain things. Y point this out, though?

Yes please, all your spare track bits to the bin please, including these. Then you could put a gold bar on the lid to keep it closed. Finally, not another word unless spoken to.

There are release notes with the program, although it is only a minor update. No new features, just a few small bug fixes and added security.

I just installed v1.58. rev1 direct from Powerpos and the release notes refer to v1.58 only, not rev1.

Maybe it would help if Forum Admin placed a sticky in Railmaster Forum that is locked except to HRMS, who could then post when a revision has been released and what that revision affected.

Hi Hawksdown - sounds as though you have a corrupted dowload. Have you the Powerpos download link address to get the download again? I'll try to find it for you and re-post here.

Found it quicker than I anticipated - paste this into your browser to get the update again

R-

I think sometimes people conclude too quickly that a download/installation is corrupted. The first thing I'd be doing is fault finding the software.

In in this instance the stated fault was driver not found, so the first thing I would try would be to update the driver. There are 2 choices here being the Windows driver and the new RM driver. I'd try both in turn if necessary. Then if still a problem, I'd be checking the comm port to make sure it didn't get changed from the previous version.

Then if still a problem, I'd be emailing HRMS before thinking about reinstalling.

Like some others I too have had problems upgrading to 1.58 from within RM and tried the powerpros link but all I got was that Windows had prevented an unknown download and when I told the system to upload anyway it came up with a corrupt files message. After persisting in RM and at the point of emailing HRMS I managed to get the upgrade but when I went into RM it hadn't saved my normal 50% opening plan so clearly a glitch somewhere. And before anyone says, I even turned off my firewall in earlier attempts and checked that RM was an accepted programme within the firewall. But other than that everything else seems to be working okay within RM on my layout

R-

I think sometimes people conclude too quickly that a download/installation is corrupted. The first thing I'd be doing is fault finding the software.

In in this instance the stated fault was driver not found, so the first thing I would try would be to update the driver. There are 2 choices here being the Windows driver and the new RM driver. I'd try both in turn if necessary. Then if still a problem, I'd be checking the comm port to make sure it didn't get changed from the previous version.

Like some others I too have had problems upgrading to 1.58 from within RM and tried the powerpros link but all I got was that Windows had prevented an unknown download and when I told the system to upload anyway it came up with a corrupt files message. After persisting in RM and at the point of emailing HRMS I managed to get the upgrade but when I went into RM it hadn't saved my normal 50% opening plan so clearly a glitch somewhere. And before anyone says, I even turned off my firewall in earlier attempts and checked that RM was an accepted programme within the firewall. But other than that everything else seems to be working okay within RM on my layout

Hi all

I have experienced this too... 'but all I got was that Windows had prevented an unknown download '

I think this is not windows but your anti-virus software. When you download from PowerPos direct, your anti virus software os not aware of the file, it is new. Anti virus software builds up history of downloads worldwide which helps it know software is safe.

I too clicked to download anyway, bypassing the message knowing it was actually safe as it was direct from Hornby.

On one occasion I didn't download straight away, it was quite a delay but then a box came up alright to download.

I think we have here another good argument for HRMS to make automatic downloads for all updates. I must admit after doing two and working well that they didn't make this automatic but, having said that they probably thought it would only cause awareness and people would then ask, as they have anyway. what was in the download.

PJ

Hi everyone,

I have a list of programs set up in the RM Program Scheduler. They are timed to run at 01:00 01:02 01:04 etc up to 01:12. They are all ticked in the list. I also have a program which simply sets the RM clock to 00:59:50, so that this schedule of programs bursts into life 10 seconds later. This used to work fine, but I haven't tried it since before upgrading to 1.56 + ProPack. I am now on 1.58 Rev 1 and the scheduler won't run these programs any more. In the log.txt file this message appears every second after the time change:-

Running timed program: B1 HS1 Circuit via P3 Non-stop

This is the name of the first scheduled program, due to start at 01:00, but it just doesn't run.

Has anyone else reported any problem with the Program Scheduler since 1.56 ?

Ray

Hi Ray

This is bad news.  Further to our exchange of messages on the forum a long time ago, I also used your idea to set the clock.

It has always worked fine and I only updated to v1.58 a couple of days ago.  I have yet to try my programs (in v1.58) to see if they still work but I may have used a slightly different set-up to that you describe.

Archived