Fitting a DCC decoder

PJ_model_trains

I have also purchased on fleabay a Dapol track cleaning wagon DCC ready so need to think about making it DCC fitted when it comes.

I am pretty sure it is 8 pin, would the Hornby R8249 digital loco decoder work?

I have never converted any train to DCC yet yet so thought this may be good to practice on. I only paid £30 for it ;o)

PJ

PJ Thats good, i have the same, been running mine on DC. You will be amazed at the amount of rubbish the vacuum cleaner picks up. Mine came back full. john

Hi John, I think keeping things clean will be very important, especially when we get Loco Detection.

Sounds impressive the amount it cleaned for you, was it Dapol or Dyson ;o)

It picked up sawdust, a track pin, bits of wire casing. Have not tried to clean track, as have no product in france to use. john

You can purchase an accessory pack... Dapol B803 - Accessorys Pack for Motorised Track Cleaner (B800) approx £14 Free P&P UK and not large or heavy. . I understand the track cleaner motor within the unit powers, at the modellers choice, either the vacuum function or the sprung abrasive/polishing head. I would go for vacuuming. . I also understand it has 5 way to clean, liquid application, sprung polishing, abrasive scraping, brushing and vacuuming. (not got it yet) . Do use the liquid application? Do you use Dapol liquid or the Isopropanol liquid (probably the same?) . PJ

The proper name is Isopropyl Alcohol. It's illegal for it to be sent through the post in the UK. I expect a similar ban to be in place in France. Not that I would use cleaning fluid anyway.

Instructions on how to convert it to DCC can be found on the MRF.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=dapol_rail_cleaner

I ordered off flea bay and it was sent through the post! I agree as you say now it is illegal to post but it was.

Thanks for the link above

PJ

The proper name is Isopropyl Alcohol. It's illegal for it to be sent through the post in the UK. I expect a similar ban to be in place in France. Not that I would use cleaning fluid anyway.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=dapol_rail_cleaner

Excellent Poliss.

I had tried Dapol site but didn't find much. This is very detailed and step by step. Excellent as I have never done it before and although I thought it worth purchasing at the price it was purchased for me to dabble with at this stage and to learn a little more. Brilliant thanks

PJ

When you say the post do you mean Royal Mail. I get mine delivered no problem.

When you say the post do you mean Royal Mail. I get mine delivered no problem.

Yes WTD Royal Mail, or any other courier I think, it will be in their terms and conditions of carriage.

It is a chemical, a liquid chemical. Under the terms and conditions of posting they should not post such items. But we are the customer, the owness is on the person posting the items. I am not sure but there may also be something, generally speaking, in the Control of Substances Regulations, although this is a mild chemical. The main area is the courier, Royal Mail included, Terms and Conditions of posting.

I don't think Royal Mail ground deliveries cover aerosols, pressurised cans yet but you cannot post these for air mail.

PJ

Yes WTD. It's on the RM Prohibited Goods list.

Flammable liquids.

This includes mixtures of liquids or liquids containing solids in solution or suspension which give off a flammable vapour and includes acetone, benzene, cleaning compounds, lighter fuel, paint thinners and removers, petroleum, solvents, varnishes, enamels and nail varnish removers.

If a firm sends it to you through the RM and is ignoring the prohibited goods list, then can you trust them to be sending you the real McCoy?

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

Yes includes acetone, benzene, cleaning compounds, lighter fuel, paint thinners and removers, petroleum, solvents, varnishes, enamels and nail varnish removers.

Yes it probably is the real Mcoy, my Isopropanol is 99.9% pure!

And I am certain businesses desperate for sales ignore the prohibited goods list. Especially nail varnish removers (acetate), varnish, enamels, paint thinners and removers... yep all of them and more!!! And not just eBay!

PJ

Archived