DCC Ready Locos

AusMod

Hi guys. I hope this is not a silly question, but can someone please explain why locos are advertised as "DCC Ready" but without giving any details as to which decoder is required?

I'll start the ball rolling. Both Hornby and the blue box (I like that term for the other major maker although I have seen other people mention them - just not promote them) sell their own brand of decoders suitable for fitting into their models that have a socket pre-wired into them.

Hornby OO generally are 8-pin decoders while for the blue box I have seen 8 and 21 written on their product boxes. N gauge are generally 6 pin. I've also heard of 4 pin though I don't have any models requiring these. There is usually specific information advertised with each model.

Once you know how many pins are required there are 3rd-party decoder manufacturers that can provide a decoder to meet the model's needs. I won't specify other makers as this would be against the forum rules if it as seen as promoting specific products but google DCC decoders and you can find them.

Hope this is of help.

I agree the Bacchy system of putting the pin type on the box and in their big adverts is something Hornby could copy, although afaik all their dcc ready kit is 8 pin. The 21 pin models only come as dcc or sound fitted (not tts).

Guys, thanks very much for the replies. I should have been clearer in my origional post.

I model in OO guage, and it was mainly Hornby locos I was refering to. Is it safe to assume a Hornby loco, listed on their website as DCC ready, would require an 8 pin decoder?

I must admit I don't understand why they can't indicate which decoder should be fitted.

This is not a silly question and in fact it is a very good point.  Any Loco that is sold as DCC ready, should have clearly marked on the outside of the box, the type of decoder required. (6 pin, 8 pin, 21 pin etc)

AusMod, if it is a current Hornby DCC Ready loco, it will be 8-pin and the R8249 will be suitable, as will any other loco decoder that says it is NMRA compliant, which will be about 99% of them. 

Even if the decoder itself is not 8-pin, it is possible to buy conversion harnesses. 

When you look at decoders, you will note they have a range of prices. You generally get what you pay for so the more expensive will have more features and functions and will often handle more current, the higher current being need for older locos, not current DCC Ready models. To get an idea, go to the DCC section of this site where you can download the leaflets for the R8249 and the more expensive Sapphire R8245. Then you will see what I mean. 

Archived