Cannot programme R8247 from Elink

renard80

Newbie here, trying to set up R8247 accessory decoder to operate points.  I've followed the manual instructions until instructed to click on the pen icon to "write to decoder". 

But nothing happens when I click that "write" icon. Nothing at all. (Incidentally,  I don't understand "Delay 15" in top right corner. )

I'm using Elink with Railmaster software.  The decoder is connected to the Elink's PROG output. 

After more than 3 hours tearing hair and searching online with no joy, I would greatly appreciate any advice. 

Sounds to me like you have a faulty 8247 Fox, email RM Support from within the Help window of RM and they will be able to confirm.

As a matter of interest, is the 8247 bought new recently or have you been hanging onto it for some time?

Thanks, Fishman.  It's new, bought from Hornby three weeks ago.

renard80, this problem had me going too!

What I found was that Railmaster will not programme the R8247 decoder unless you actually type in the first "output port no.". Even if you want it to be "1" you MUST type it in. When you press the write to decoder button you will now see a "programming accessory decoder" window pop up.

Try this and post back how you get on. By the way, you do not need to change the "15 second delay", its only to do with the speed of programming, not the functionality of the R8247.

Good luck :-)

What I found was that Railmaster will not programme the R8247 decoder unless you actually type in the first "output port no.". Even if you want it to be "1" you MUST type it in. When you press the write to decoder button you will now see a "programming accessory decoder" window pop up.

Try this and post back how you get on. By the way, you do not need to change the "15 second delay", its only to do with the speed of programming, not the functionality of the R8247.

You are a star!  I entered the 1 as you suggested,  and thereafter the installation went ahead successfully!  

Thank you so much. I do wish Hornby would make instructions more clear for we beginners. 

Best wishes for the New Year. 

Hello.

Really sorry to ask for help and I appreciate that the original thread was about the R8247 but I'm struggling to get an R8216 accessory decoder working with my e-link for the first time to operate a PL11 point motor.

Could you confirm what wires should go where for me? So far I have the point wired to the accessory decoder. Do I then need to wire directly between the track of the decoder and the prog of the e link, or should I be wiring between the track of the decoder and the track, with power to the track supplied via the track ports of the e-link with a change to the prog of the e-link to programme the decoder?

Once wired correctly, can you also confirm that I then go into railmaster and click on the program accessory decoder button, select the 8216 from the drop down enter the value 1 in the output port no. then click on the write symbol before closing the box when complete? I have a point set up in my track diagram which is registered as 0001 which I can make move on the diagram but not in reality.

Hope you can help.

Hi EJB, welcome to the forums. Can I just suggest in future it's better to start your own thread for a new problem rather than tack on the bottom of another.  

That said, there is only one difference in setting up the 8216 v the 8247 - you need to make sure you have a load on port 1 when you do it, like having the point motor attached when you connect it to the programming output.

Apart from that, I think you have the procedure correct and make sure you do as dGilbert says above.

One final thing, early 8247s were mislabelled as 8216s so you may actually have an 8247.  It depends on the date on them.  A forum search should bring up that date as it has been covered previously.

I have instructions for programming the earlier R8216 with the Elite, but not for the eLink. Here are some things that may be relevant.

If you are using the R8216; please check the date code on the bottom of the unit as some were miss labeled in fact they are R8247. If the date code is below and not including 50/07 then it is R8216, otherwise it is the R8247).

Hornby point motor wiring.

Red = + Black = C Green = - *** *** It is possible that this wire may be Brown or White depending on when your point motor was manufactured.

Peco point motor wiring is different: Red = + Black = - Green = C 

There is another Select vs acc decoders programming anomaly which was corrected by a free update of the Select firmware only possible by returning it to Hornby to be done.

if you search the forum it should appear but was on the old forum.

Select V1.2 Firmware Changes (12, 30, 03)

Description of feature changes: 1) Point and Accessory addresses now start at 61-99: On the previous release of the Select (V1.0) Point and Accessory addresses started at 60. This was in order to utilise the full number set in groups of 4 i.e. 60-99 comprises 10 full groups. Starting the accessory address numbering at 61, means that the 10th group will only have three accessible addresses. While this change may seem like a step in the wrong direction, starting at 61 brings the Select in line with the NMRA accessory address numbering scheme. In order for the Select V1.0 to operate correctly with point and accessory addresses it was necessary to map the addresses transmitted to the accessory decoders by subtracting 3 from the desired address. this is over complex, and has now been eliminated. Users with older Selects moving on to V1.1 or V1.2 are recommended to reprogram all points etc. to correspond with a start address of 61. 

Thank you for your help! The problem is solved by your solutions.

• 2 months later...

ciao a tutti ,volevo una conferma ,sul mio decoder acessori appena preso ,c'à la data 50 /07 vuol dire che è r8247 ?

oppure r8216 ? grazie per l'informazione

Google Translate:

hello everyone, I wanted to confirm, on my decoder acessori just taken, c'a date 50/07 means that it is r8247?

or r8216? thanks for the information.

I think the question is my Hornby Accessory Decoder is dated ???? is it an R8216 or an R8247?

Comment: Wasn't there a period where R8247s were being shipped with R8216s by mistake. I put ???? for the date cos I couldn't make sense of 50/07

Archived