Hornby elite and extra throttles

fineboy

Hi,

I have a hornby elite plus 2 hornby select controllers, would i be right in thinking that i can connect my select controllers to my elite to use them as extra throttles to control an extra locomotive on each select? so with my elite and 2 select controllers i can independently control 4 locomotives?

The only reason i ask is my last controller was a digitrax zephyr extra and with that system you bought extra contollers to act as throttles. 

Cheers in advance for any help. Fineboy

Hi 

Yes you can add Selects to the Elite. You must remove the Selects power supplies and not connect any Select to the track. Use the special connection cable R8266  RJ12 lead to connect the Elite to each Select.

Note when using the Select as a Walkabout you will only be able to operate Locos with address numbers 1 to 59 via the Selects.

Also you can only directly control three locos at once with one Elite and two Selects. The Elite being able to control one loco at a time regardless of it having two knobs.  Note, you have to leave one loco doing whatever it is set at then you can take control of the other one on the Elite, so there is direct control of three locos.

Yes, you are correct. You must use the R8266 cable and not the R8236.

For connecting more Select's as Walkabouts use the R8237 Connecting Socket.

They look the same, but are wired differently.

Plus what Flashbang said. :-)

Why did you change from the Zephyr to the Elite?

Yes, you are correct. You must use the R8266 cable and not the R8236.

For connecting more Select's as Walkabouts use the R8237 Connecting Socket.

They look the same, but are wired differently.

Plus what Flashbang said. :-)

Why did you change from the Zephyr to the Elite?

Thank you guys for the reply,

I was hoping that was the case, i thought the elite operated 2 trains independently. oh well. The reason i have switched is because last november returned from working in china working for 3 months and when i returned i came home to a empty flat, the theives stole everything, furniture,valuables cloths, you name it they took it including my n gauge layout and rolling stock and a 60 inch led tv off the wall and none of my neighbours had seen nothing or so they say because so much was taken the only way would have been a removal truck.Anyway insurance covered that except the sentimental stuff which cannot be replaced. Anyway thank you for setting me straight on my controllers. All the best Fineboy

Yes, you're quite right, RDS. You can't have both knobs actively working simultaneously, presumably because there is only room for one on the Elite's screen. You just have to keep switching them, as you said, for real time control, meanwhile leaving the other loco to carry on as it was.

The Elite is still miles ahead of the Select nevertheless.

Thanks again guys,so i can operate 2 trains just by switching between the 2. thats fine with me. I have to say i think i prefer the hornby over the digitrax. fineboy

Hi fineboy, sorry about your loss. I find it interesting that you prefer the Hornby System above the Digitrax? Each system has its advantages and its a matter of personal preferences as to what everyone likes. I use both systems regularly and particularly for operating a number of trains simultaneously the Digitrax, combined with mobile throttles would be more suited.

Peter

Before update 1.4 you could just turn either knob to make the train active. Then they downgraded that feature in 1.5 to stop you doing that. It made it difficult for me to drive 2 trains on the one track because I had to keep using the buttons on the dial instead of just turning it. I didn't like letting railmaster drive my trains, I like being the driver.

Before update 1.4 you could just turn either knob to make the train active. Then they downgraded that feature in 1.5 to stop you doing that. It made it difficult for me to drive 2 trains on the one track because I had to keep using the buttons on the dial instead of just turning it. I didn't like letting railmaster drive my trains, I like being the driver.

v1.41...not v1.5.

Archived